Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Creating a web based army picker
Old 25 Oct 2008, 02:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Creating a web based army picker

I'm creating a web based army picker. It will have the following limitations.

1. You will have to enter the point costs yourself for your account.
2.Accounts caught logging in from multiple dissimilar IP addresses often will be banned no questions asked.
2. Limited descriptions of items and powers (again to prevent games workshop from getting upset) but page numbers will be provided.
3. It will generate lists you can link to others, but it will not do a complete point breakdown. Just a total for the squad.

Things it will do that should be cool.
1. Allow us as a community to dictate how it works
2. Give us an easy way to link armies we've created.
3. Print paper reports with a more detailed point breakdown for your armies.
4. Anything else that people in the community want it to do that I don't think will get me in trouble.
5. Allow you view your army lists from a pda or smart phone with web access in a manageable fashion.

Things I'll need assistance with:
1. I'll need someone for each army to volunteer to do database entry for : troop choices, weapon choices, power choices, Innate abilities.
2. Someone to do short generic entries for special abilities from the 5th ed book (or I can do this one)
3. Someone to upload pictures of all the different wargear, and units from the different armies.

This program will in no way replace any of the gw books, but simply facilitate building an army.
Is anyone interested in lending some assistance?
emmagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2008, 04:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Creating a web based army picker

So this makes army lists?
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2008, 13:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

It will, I figure it will likely take about 3 weeks to put together. I'm invested about 8 hours into programming so far, and expect I'll get a couple hours a night done.

I don't have all the codex though, so without assistance it will only function for 3 armies.
Old 25 Oct 2008, 15:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

Will you be able to display the list on sites such as this? or would you just have links?
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2008, 16:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'm still working out how you'd display the lists in a forum, I'm working on a solution that would bypass the need for a module. If I fail at this I could always write a module that would allow for it, if the folks that run tau online want to install it. That would be up to them.

Edit -

In a moment of brainstorming goodness, I came up with the idea to have it write the post for you and you can just copy and paste it into a forum. These forums support tables, so it could even format it for you better than you could do on your own. (the tables supported by the forum are a royal pain to use) In the long run I might even make it so it includes pictures of the various units in the post!
Old 25 Oct 2008, 16:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Since (almost) all programs are written by humans, someone had to write the original format your output would use to post to a forum. I have a specific format I like to use for my army lists and would probably never use the format your program would output. I prefer concise and highly readable formats. Perhaps offering several output formats would help, or even allowing a quick template to be created. That adds more work for you though.

Though, I agree your program should have a copy and paste section of text to direct copy to a forum. Also a link would be nice, but where are you going to store all of the army lists people created? On your own server? Leave that to the user?

Also, about checking IPs. You'll need to make sure to give people a bit of leeway. Personally, I have two very diverse IP addresses as a university student. My university IP is an .edu domain address while my home IP is a .com domain address.
Xanzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2008, 17:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Oh smart way to get round it ;D are you sending the the database for entering information in about each race?
Old 25 Oct 2008, 17:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merqu
Oh smart way to get round it ;D are you sending the the database for entering information in about each race?
Nearly done with the tools for select individuals to enter information about each race. I won't be sending it out, I want to be able to track who entered what. If you are interested in contributing the information about the race you play, please let me know
Old 25 Oct 2008, 18:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Aye thats why I asked.
Old 25 Oct 2008, 19:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

great then! I just need to do a few sample entries from one of the codex I own to ensure it is working, then I will contact you with information so you can assist. Credit will be given on the front page for those who help

Tyranids and Tau are now covered. Looking for volunteers for the other armies. It is probably 4-6 hours worth of work.