Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Effectiveness of Blasts
Old 24 Oct 2008, 14:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default Effectiveness of Blasts

Ok, we have all had time to fully get used to 5th Edition now.

How have you all been finding Blast Templates with the new rules?

In theory the fact that the hole still has to be over a models base and the fact the blast as a 1.5 Inch Radius and a unit has only to have a 2 Inch coherancy would suggest that we still really shouldnt see many hits from Blasts. Direct hits anyway, the chance of slight scatters does increase this a little.

That is not how things have worked out in game for me though, I find that a fair few models are getting covered quite easily, especially with only having to clip a models base to be counted in the area of effect.

So how have you all been finding it?
Old 24 Oct 2008, 14:35   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Effectiveness of Blasts

I think the scatter rule helps, actually. In 4th, having to place the blast over a model, with the distance as you say above, meant it was hard to get many hits on a proper coherency unit - now you can scatter off, meaning it might not land with the hole over a model, added to the only needing to clip them to hit them, means that I think its now easier to get more hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2008, 14:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I played a game where I fielded a full artillery unit of Lobbas and they worked out great. The new rules on scatter had me scattering more then in 4th, however with no partials I found it worked out really well for me. Having 3 Lobbas in a unit was the key to me doing well with them. Previously you could put one down and do alright with it but I think the new rules (at least for Orks and their lousy BS), it would make putting down a single Lobba not worthwhile.
Old 24 Oct 2008, 14:48   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Drawback? You may blast your own Troops :P or your own Tank

But seriously, I LOVE IT! No more "Roll to Hit" especially with Imperial's Guard BS of 3. Very useful against Horde. I suggest that you have at least a Template weapon in your arsenal; either one Large Blast Template or a couple of Small Blast Template and/or Flame Template.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2008, 15:28   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

I love the new rule!

Why?

Multiple blast weapon units!

My Space marine Dev Squad with 4 plasma cannons? It has the potential to do about 20 wounds.

A Typhoon Launcher Landspeeder Squadron did about 60 hits, with roughly 30 dead orks.

It works a LOT better than it used to.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2008, 22:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
But seriously, I LOVE IT! No more "Roll to Hit" especially with Imperial's Guard BS of 3.
Um..ordinance never rolled to hit, just for scatter.

Yes blasts are amazing and my imperal guard recieve a new shipment of missile lauchers... >
Multiple blasts are even better, and in apocalypse orbital bombardements are amazing...
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2008, 22:38   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
But seriously, I LOVE IT! No more "Roll to Hit" especially with Imperial's Guard BS of 3.
Um..ordinance never rolled to hit, just for scatter.

Pretty sure he knows that bud
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2008, 23:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've been using a Thunderfire and a Master of the Forge with 2 plasma Cannon servitors + Conversion beamer. Along with 3 plasma cannons in my Tac squads, overall I lay dow a huge number of wounds and remove nearly as many models. I find Blasts to work extraordinary well about 80% of the time, while the other 20% is them actually scattering into the middle of nowhere.
“If I were a proper brother-captain, I would know the prayer we are supposed to say. But I think you all know what we have to do. We do not know what our chances of survival are, so we fight as if they were zero. We do not know what we are facing, so we fight as if it was the dark gods themselves. No one will remember us now and we may never be buried beneath Titan, so we will build our own memorial here. The Chapter might lose us and the Imperium might never know we existed, but the Enemy - the Enemy will know. The Enemy will remember." - Acting Brother-Capitan Alric of the Grey Knights.
GKTerminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2008, 13:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

One thing is for certain: blast weapons are much more effective now. I think this is actually very good, as weapons like grenade launchers or rocket launchers used to be very overpriced, and now they're actually worth it. On the other hand, I completely stopped using heavy bolters with my CSM - now they're just inferior to any other heavy weapon, period.
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Oh God, not that deamnohunters! :P
Who else would fight Choas with Palasma weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
My Shas'O, I picture as an old grizzled war vet. However, he has a bit of a gung-ho streak. Think Sun Tzu meets Yeosemite Sam
Solarius Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2008, 20:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

I love the new rules and hate them at the same time. There is this awesone tendency to line up an awesome shot one turn, only to discover that, in the next round, your rocket launcher goes spiralling into your own Command Squad. :
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote