Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Wound Confusion
Old 23 Oct 2008, 00:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Wound Confusion

Ok - trying to work this one out but my poor brain hurts. Say you have a unit with multiple wounds, and saves, and do far more wounds than there are troops in the unit, what happens to the extra wounds.

Ill explain with an example so this might make more sense.
You have a unit of say 5 ork nobs.
Each with 2 wounds.
4 of the nobs have a 5+ plus save, one has a 2+ save.
You do 20 wounds to the unit (ap -)
your opponent allocates 4 wounds to each model.
He rolls the 4 saves for the 2+ save model and makes them all.
He then rolls the remaining 16 saves for the other 4 Models.
and fails 12 of them.
The four identical models take 2 Wounds each (you must remove a casulty when possible and they only have 2 wounds) - So they all die - a total of 8 wounds.
This means there are 4 unsaved wounds left (at 5+).
The model with the 2+ Save has saved all his allocated wounds (on the 2+).
So from the unit of 5, which you caused 20 wounds on. 4 are dead, 1 has saved all his allocated saves, and you have 4 unsaved wounds left over.
What happens to these wounds? you have to take a casulty where possible, so do those 4 wounds automatically go onto the remaining model (killing him) even though he has passed all his allocated saves?? Or do you just lose the four outstanding wounds??

Hope that makes sense!

Confused!!
Old 23 Oct 2008, 00:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Wound Confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishing
He then rolls the remaining 16 saves for the other 4 Models.
and fails 12 of them.
The four identical models take 2 Wounds each (you must remove a casulty when possible and they only have 2 wounds) - So they all die - a total of 8 wounds.
This means there are 4 unsaved wounds left (at 5+).
This isn't the way it's done. In reality, he should roll 4 saves for each model not 16 saves for 4 models. So you'd know who lived and died before hand. Failed saves don't get distributed, wounds do.

Quote:
The model with the 2+ Save has saved all his allocated wounds (on the 2+).
So from the unit of 5, which you caused 20 wounds on. 4 are dead, 1 has saved all his allocated saves, and you have 4 unsaved wounds left over.
What happens to these wounds? you have to take a casulty where possible, so do those 4 wounds automatically go onto the remaining model (killing him) even though he has passed all his allocated saves?? Or do you just lose the four outstanding wounds??
Nothing. See above.

Here's how that works in the game. You've got a unit of 5 Ork Nobs. One has a 4+ save (I'm not sure how you get an Ork with a 2+ save ??? ). The rest have the 5+ Invulnerable saves.

Your opponent attacks and deals 20 wounds. You have to distribute one wound to each model before distributing another to the same model. Following this pattern, each member of the squad has to make 4 saves each.

If the first model makes all 4 saves but every other models fail all of their saves (16 wounds together). However, each model only takes 2 wounds. The remaining 8 wounds simply disappear.

Hope this helps.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2008, 01:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Apothecary Aureus
Failed saves don't get distributed, wounds do.
On the contrary, failed saves do get distributed. You might want to read the section on complex units again (pages 25-26).

It is only models that 'stand out in game terms' for whom saves are rolled separately.

The 16 saves in that batch are rolled together, then the failed saves are distributed among the batch. Then you move on to the next batch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishing
What happens to these wounds?
Nothing. They go away. The batch of models they get applied to has all died. They do not spill over into other batches; this would be unfair as it would penalise 2+ saves for being in the same unit as 5+ saves. The other model does not suffer them; he already saved his wounds. Think of it as the 4 dead guys copping 3 wounds each if you need to.

Given that there's still confusion on these crucial rules, allow me to direct you to elliot's summary of the wounding rules. And like he says, read page 25 first; it's counterproductive to offer 'help' when you haven't checked that you're actually correct.
Old 23 Oct 2008, 01:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Pseudomancer is dead on with that one. It took me a long time to actually get the new wounding rules nailed down, but I like them better than the old ones. They're less confusing and even save a little time.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2008, 02:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudomancer
On the contrary, failed saves do get distributed. You might want to read the section on complex units again (pages 25-26).
I see that you are indeed correct. I missed the line under "Taking Saving Throws". Thanks for the clarification. However.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudomancer
You might want to read the section on complex units again.
It's counterproductive to offer 'help' when you haven't checked that you're actually correct.
Just a note. Try not to be an ass when you're correcting someone. Seriously, it's not becoming.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2008, 02:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Advanced Stabilisation System? I feel so objectified ^_^

Apologies for giving offense, such was not my intention. It is important to refer back to the rulebook. Even when one believes one is correct, speaking without certainty can add confusion, time and effort to the very people one intended to help.

This isn't directed at you. Posting on rules without checking the rulebook is common across all gaming forums, and it is counterproductive. I personally don't post about rules (aside from questions) unless I have the relevant rules in front of me, preferably so I can give quotes or page references. I also edit before posting to try to be less abrasive; in this case I failed and I'm sorry.