Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What to buy?
Old 20 Oct 2008, 22:56   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default What to buy?

So today I'm going to my local hobby store to buy new warhammer 40k stuff, now the question is should I get two sets of Assault on Black reach (giving me 2 1000ish point armies and the 5th edition rule book) or get one box of black reach and one Tau battleforce (I'm going to start Tau as my main army, currently I only have a box of fire warriors)?
Pocketkoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2008, 23:02   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: What to buy?

Well if you are going to be starting Tau as your main army - then whats the point of grabbing no less than two AoBR boxes?? Hell, why bye one at all?

I say buy the rulebook and the tau battleforce.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2008, 00:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Buy one for the dice, rulebook, templates, and sell or trade off the orks and marines. You certainly don't need two sets.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2008, 08:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I agree with Silk. Unless you're playing orks or Space Marines there's no point in more than one Black Reach box. The Tau BattleForce box is a good deal and a good core to build your army around. I would suggest a crisis suit commander box also, as that will get you the Special Issue gear and another suit. There might be a larger Tau boxed set that would be worth looking into also. Something like the Spearhead boxes, but I don't know what's in it or how good a deal it is.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2008, 21:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If you are going to start tau as ur main army, you kinda need the battle force. Why even get AOBR? If you want a smaller army of Orks or Space Marines I guess that would be a good buy, too, but you should strengthen up your main army first.
zeldafan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2008, 22:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragga the Slayer
If you are going to start tau as ur main army, you kinda need the battle force. Why even get AOBR? If you want a smaller army of Orks or Space Marines I guess that would be a good buy, too, but you should strengthen up your main army first.
Because you also need templates, dice, and a rulebook. I don't know the pricing structure for AOBR, but it's predecessor, Battle for Macragge, was the same price as the hardcover rulebook but you got starter terrain, templates, and dice as well.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2008, 22:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightperson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragga the Slayer
Because you also need templates, dice, and a rulebook. I don't know the pricing structure for AOBR, but it's predecessor, Battle for Macragge, was the same price as the hardcover rulebook but you got starter terrain, templates, and dice as well.
That's why I said "...I guess that would be a good buy...".

Anyway, compared to AOBR, battle for Macragge sucked. AOBR has everything it had minus terrain, but it has WAY more troops. AOBR has enough troops for about two 550 point armies whereas battle for Macragge has hardly any troops at all.
Old 24 Oct 2008, 01:18   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Ok well thanks guys, I ended up getting a battleforce and AoBR.
Pocketkoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2008, 01:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Good Choice!
Old 24 Oct 2008, 22:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Whooo ho another tau player...good choice.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote