Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

As the metal piece goes up, will GW make more plastic Model?
Old 15 Oct 2008, 07:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default As the metal piece goes up, will GW make more plastic Model?

As the metal piece goes up, will GW make more plastic Model? Every people know GW raise their piece again, right. I just wondering when will they make all model to plastic, when they make more plastic will the piece drop. Dark elves Coldone knight is a good example, they used to be 50 bucks per 5 model. right now they are 22 bucks f0r 5 model, I Wish when there have more plastic, the piece will drop little bit or they will give you more model.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 07:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: As the metal piece goes up, will GW make more plastic Model?

Pricing Update

As everyone knows costs are going up all over the world, and just like everyone else we are seeing increases in the price of oil, metal, printed materials and transport. Up until now we've absorbed these increases, but the recent and dramatic doubling in the price of tin is simply something we are unable to ignore and therefore some of our prices will be going up too.

As from 29th September 2008 we will therefore be increasing the price of all metal models as well as a selection of other items including most of our books and some accessories including paint.

The good news is that we do not intend to raise the price of our plastic kits at this time which means Games Workshop's plastic range remains excellent value for money for all hobbyists. This has also encouraged us to accelerate our plans for expanding our plastic kit range even more quickly so keep a look out for new projects in the future.

That's from the games workshop Australian site which indicates that GW do intend to convert more metal models to plastic.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 10:43   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

I think they want to move more to plastic for other reasons than cost. Steel has been increasing in price consistantly every few months for the last year and bit - China buying large stocks of steel didn't help, but even now, the price is continuing to rise.

Of course, this is all win for us gamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2008, 22:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

There is more to than this than GW going to plastic.

Secondly the price update is more spin doctoring than anything else.

The main reason for going to plastic is the obscene profit to manufacture cost ratio that the company makes from their plastic model line.

Make no mistake on this. And as for the not raising their prices on the plastic models? Please read the phrasing of who the sentence is worded.

Oh They will raise prices on all of their stock. Just not immediately. Just give it around six months and GW will do its +10% increase across the board.

As they have been doing for the past 6 years.

Old 15 Oct 2008, 23:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Personally I don't like metals models as is, and the Up in price insn't helping. I sure hope they make more plastic ones
zeldafan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2008, 00:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Materials costs make up 1% of the GW bottom line. They used those and gas prices(now dropping rapidly) as an excuse to raise costs. I assure you, it'll affect the metal vs plastic economic decision very, very little, if at all.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2008, 01:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The reason they don't do more in plastics is because the moulds are so damn expensive. That's why they have metal models at all, and it's the reason why less used choices have metal models instead of plastic. The moulds for metal are cheaper, and since they won't sell as many of the model (you can't use as many) they will have a smaller profit if they use plastics.

However, you would think that with the price bump they'd rather be producing metals. I mean, they're cheaper to produce and they sell for a hell of a lot more, although it's at the customer's expense. GW would do everything in metal if it wouldn't piss off all of its customers.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2008, 02:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

The actual material for plastic is a bit cheaper, and the moulds last longer(metal tends to wear down molding much more rapidly). However, you also have to design entire sprues, which isn't cheap, and injection molding isn't cheap.

I figured out how to do basic molding by hand, and Im currently converting an electric gluegun into an injection molder. I promise, if it works, I'll post a guide. If I suddenly stop posting, that'd probably be a bad sign. =)

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2008, 03:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Personally I think GW could increase their profits by DECREASING cost. I mean the more the cost goes up the less people buy. The success of the plastic line is because the cost to benefit ratio is a lot better. For what you get the cost isn't so bad. But look at some of the metal models like Ogryn or Wraithguard. I mean your spending what 17 bucks ON A SINGLE MODEL! It's not so bad for characters you just need to purchase once but when you need a squad of 5 Wraithguard or worse TEN of them your looking at 170 dollars for a single squad and thats not considering paints and a Warlock. It's friggin nuts, how does GW expect to sell these models? It's not happening.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2008, 22:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

GW seems more intrested in the short term cost over the long term payoff.

Current 2010 Tau recored
1-0-0
xv-8 is offline   Reply With Quote