Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Direct fire blast & cover saves.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 12:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Direct fire blast & cover saves.

Somebody explain this, preferably in words of one syllable.

If I fire a blast weapon at a unit I have to roll for scatter, if there is cover between me and my target they get a cover save. So far so good. However if there is no cover between me and my target;

I shoot at unit A and hit, but the blast also hits unit B hiding behind it. Does unit B get cover saves?. If I shoot and scatter and the blast hits unit B or hits a target I can't see, do they get cover saves?

Cheers

Andrew
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2008, 12:23   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Direct fire blast & cover saves.

Quote:
I shoot at unit A and hit, but the blast also hits unit B hiding behind it. Does unit B get cover saves?
Yes, Unit B will get cover as the shot is intended for Unit A and Unit A is protecting Unit B from most of the blast.
Quote:
If I shoot and scatter and the blast hits unit B or hits a target I can't see, do they get cover saves?
Yes, as Unit A is your intended target and as GW explain, the shot ricochet so the blast hit Unit B and Unit A protects Unit B from most of the blast.

Hope this helps
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2008, 19:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Okay that does and does not help. So what about where the shot scatters to a position where you can't actually shoot? eg troops hidden behind a vehicle? What cover save is applicable?

Andrew
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2008, 23:12   #4 (permalink)
lonely tau

I believe that the unit will only get a 4+ cover save, as the firer is obscured by the vehicle. However, if you are firing a barrage weapon, then the unit in question does not get a cover save, as it states "treat the shot as coming from the template"
Old 16 Oct 2008, 17:44   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
I believe that the unit will only get a 4+ cover save, as the firer is obscured by the vehicle. However, if you are firing a barrage weapon, then the unit in question does not get a cover save, as it states "treat the shot as coming from the template"
It's actually "always assume the shot comes from the center of the marker, instead of from the firing model." (bolded for emphasis)

So, if if there is a unit between the center of the marker and a unit hit by the marker, then yes, they receive a 4+ cover save. Also, remember units in area terrain always receive their respective cover save, even if the pie plate is right on top of them.

Edit - just realized your question is about non-barrage weapons, while I was referencing barrage rules.
DapperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2008, 17:50   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC
Okay that does and does not help. So what about where the shot scatters to a position where you can't actually shoot? eg troops hidden behind a vehicle? What cover save is applicable?

Andrew
If you look at page 30, 6th paragraph down, it states that it is "possible and absolutely fine" that a shot scatters out of LoS or out of range and that hits are resolved normally. I read this as saying that they do not get an addition cover save just because they are out of LoS of the firer nor would they just because the marker covers two units - only if they would have normally gotten a cover save (ie in area terrain) would they get the save.

So to answer your original question, no, unit B would not get a cover save from a direct fire blast weapon (though they would if it were barrage).
DapperDave is offline   Reply With Quote