Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How's your Metagame?
Old 08 Oct 2008, 21:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau
Default How's your Metagame?

I am curious; what armies do you commonly fight against? Any particular builds?

It would be helpful to say what kind of player you are and what kind of players you go up against ("Just me and my friends" on one end and "Grand Tournament" on the other).

"Guardian-heavy Ulthwe" is much more useful than "Eldar"... and when you say "most" (As in, "most people play Space Marines"), what is that? 50 of the 100 people you play against? All of your 6 friends?

I hope that we can gain a better understanding of the general distribution of metagames in this world.

I'll start. I play Mech Tau, heavy on the skimmers, and the only person I can get a game with right now plays Black Templars, heavy on the Termies (A bit too heavy, I think). So, my metagame is pretty boring and not that useful to others, but I might start playing pickup games at the local shop, once I paint my army a bit more.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
MechTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2008, 21:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: How's your Metagame?

I play a Hybrid tau with a healthy mix of suits and kroots...always put in my sniper drones.

I pay with friend and mostly face:

-Sister of battle with inquisitors;
-Wyche cult in raiders;
-fairly balance SM with Tac marines and bikes;
-Nidzilla;
-Balance giuard with Heavy weapon sqauds.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2008, 21:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Marines. Its a very large playing area, best described as central maryland. Id guess 50%+ of my games are against marines.

Actual components vary, but drop pod armies are relatively rare, though I expect them to increase post-codex.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2008, 01:23   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Infantry-heavy Drop Troops (No shit!). I'm Infantry General :P Mostly, I play against Mechanized Armies, Hybrid Orks (Horde and Elite Elements) and ya...that's it :P
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2008, 01:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Infantry heavy hybrid gunline Tau, with Pathfinders and drone screen.

Ranger/Avenger core, Aspect heavy Eldar.

Dakka Orks.

Testing others.

My best friend and only regular opponent plays gaunt swarm 'Nids.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2008, 01:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I run two very different lists:
  • Mech Eldar with everything moving 12" or faster or Infiltrating and lots of shooting
  • Nurgle Chaos mainly infantry based with very durable units
At my local shop I see a lot of Loyalist Marines, Daemons and some Chaos. We also have an Ork and Tyranid army respectively.

As a player, I prefer to focus on one aspect for my army and exploit the heck out of it - so my armies are very single-minded. I am also much better at fighting for a draw after botching the first few turns than playing excellently out of the gate.

Right now I'm in the throes of re-vamping both of my lists and going back to basics. My Orks are all but out and I'll probably shelve them for the long-term soon. I simply lack the patience to paint 140 boyz and they really aren't that fun to play for me.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2008, 02:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I play mainly my balanced Guard, along with Orks (horde) mainly. I have some Chaos Daemons (Khorne) that I am hoping to start taking to my store as well.

My friends play Orks, Marines, and Necrons. And the games I get in at my local store can be mostly described with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
Marines. Its a very large playing area, best described as central maryland. Id guess 50%+ of my games are against marines.

Actual components vary, but drop pod armies are relatively rare, though I expect them to increase post-codex.
... as apparently we both live in Maryland.

There is one Eldar, a few 'nid and CSM players also at my store too. I try to play more with them than the Marine players, but inevitably face them when I am asked to put in the needed 3000pts to balance the sides in the store mega-battles. :

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2008, 02:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Ok well my first army was Tau, ended up being very Mech but with the new vehicle rules for 5th Edition I think my tanks are going to sit on the shelf collecting dust, in fact the whole army won't probably see the light of day for a good long while and hasn't for almost three years now really. The other armies I have are:

Ultramarines
-Balanced, hybrid with some mech elements, two assault squads and a mixture of semi mobile and shooty Tactical Squads backed up by first company vets.

Blood Ravens
-Fully traited, eight infiltrating units, backed up by assault marines, a land speeder and a full bike squadron. However with the loss of traits the primary tactics of this army are well... non-existant so yea... don't know what to do with it.

Imperial Fists 1st Company
-A Lysanderwing really but that is also out the window as in the New Codex Lysander has gone back to his old 3rd Edition special rule and thus Teleport Strike is gone so... yea I'll be deploying the termies regularly now or they'll collect dust... not sure which yet.

Space Wolves
-Infantry heavy, over a hundred models in the army so far and still growing, basically an infantry rush that can put Khorn to shame.

Raven Guard
-Shooty elements backed up by over twenty assault marines led by a Captain and Shrike. Usually Shrike causes havoc while the Tac & Dev squads shoot the bejeesus out of things backed up by a couple of scout squads and the Assault Squads led by the Captain counter charge when the enemy gets close.

Daemonhunters- Grey Knights
-Mostly Grey Knights backed up by an Inquisitor Lord with full retinue and a smattering of assassins. Planned on adding Inquisitorial Storm Troopers but ended up making a guard army instead. The Grey Knights form a mobile bolter force drawing enemies into range and finishing them off with their Nemesis Force Weapons centered around a Grand Master and his Terminator Retinue. The Inquisitor packs the most firepower and forms a beefy gun unit to back up the Grey Knights with heavy weapon servitors and some acolyte bodies and familiars to soak up damage, and is also armed with a psycannon.

Imperial Guard
-Small hybrid force centered on two minimum sized Infantry Platoons, and a Command Platoon, using a mixture of grenade launchers and autocannons to put out the lead backed up by mortars, a Chimera full of Storm Troopers and a Leman Russ. I'm also thinking of adding an Elite Inquisitor to the army and a Vindicare assassin just for kicks. Basically your standard gunline.

Main Opponents
-I've fought Inquisition and Thousand Sons armies a lot and of course your smattering of noob Marines, Guard a few times, Eldar occasionally and Orks once or twice. Most opponents tend to be fairly inexperienced and/or incompetent that I've faced but there are the occasional gems that put up a nice fight but with standard pick up games those tend to be few and far between.

Though in all honesty I haven't gotten a game in in months, ah well hopefully I'll fight my bro's new Orks soon. Gotta love the greenies.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2008, 02:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Heh, the Glen Burnie Bunker is my usual hangout, though I randomly play at a coupla the mall stores, depending where Im at. Fortunately, the local gaming population is large enough thats theres always some variety...ive even played against dark eldar(abeit, not recently). Where do you chill at?

Mmm, megabattles...yeah, those tend to devolve into rather slow affairs with one side consisting off too many marines, and the other xenos/chaos. Generally there are objectives, but they become mostly meaningless. Gonna do a 5k vs 5k marine battle this weekend myself, if scheduling permits, in my ongoing quest to kill off the entire ultramarine chapter.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2008, 02:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
Heh, the Glen Burnie Bunker is my usual hangout, though I randomly play at a coupla the mall stores, depending where Im at. Fortunately, the local gaming population is large enough thats theres always some variety...ive even played against dark eldar(abeit, not recently). Where do you chill at?

Mmm, megabattles...yeah, those tend to devolve into rather slow affairs with one side consisting off too many marines, and the other xenos/chaos. Generally there are objectives, but they become mostly meaningless. Gonna do a 5k vs 5k marine battle this weekend myself, if scheduling permits, in my ongoing quest to kill off the entire ultramarine chapter.
I normally only go to the Bunker when I order Forge World, otherwise I go to the Annapolis GW. It's a bit far for me, so I can only go on the weekends though. We do have quite a variety, really, I have seen one Dark Eldar player around (just once or twice) and I think he is really new.

And best of luck in thy noble quest.

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote