Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Some ideas for game play needed
Old 07 Oct 2008, 01:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Angel of Death
Default Some ideas for game play needed

me and my mates are having a world conquer campain and we need some more ideas on campain types and battle fields.

Battle fields:
Snow-Units move half speed except skimmers and there is near to no terrain
Grassy plains-no terrain at all
Ruins-lots of terrain
Swamp-move half speed in some places
Canyon- A Field that is only 5" wide(or around that)

city is out of the question, we haven't got any buildings for it

Senarios:
Meat grinder the death

King of the hill-who can controll the hill the most for 6 turns(and no one can deepstrike.)

Capture the flag-get the flag in the middle and move it to your side of the table(when you have the flag you only move 3" and no one can deepstrike.)

Defence-the defender has a fort that he must defend, he is not aloud any more then 12" from his fort. must defend for 6 turns and no one can deepstrike

take and hold- there are 5 points to hold on the map, every point you hold at the start of your turn you get 1 point, there are 6 turns and no one can deepstrike

Angel of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2008, 04:47   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Joyraindo
Default Re: Some ideas for game play needed

Ah-ha! I have just the link you need for something like this! Thank goodness for the rarely updated Australian GW website :P

http://oz.games-workshop.com/games/4...ds/default.htm

An oldie, but a goodie. Might need small tweaks to fit in with 5th edition properly (as it was written for 3rd I think)

Grab it while it's still there - you never know when a surprise website revamp might come along!

Have fun.
Joyraindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2008, 05:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyraindo
Ah-ha! I have just the link you need for something like this! Thank goodness for the rarely updated Australian GW website :P

http://oz.games-workshop.com/games/4...ds/default.htm

An oldie, but a goodie. Might need small tweaks to fit in with 5th edition properly (as it was written for 3rd I think)

Grab it while it's still there - you never know when a surprise website revamp might come along!

Have fun.
They are "in the process" of updating the site so as the man says better grab it before they finally pull their finger out and update it (it has said that for at least a year now though).
Old 07 Oct 2008, 13:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well you have 4 out of 5 missions that do not allow deepstriking. I will assume units that can always deepstrike will still be allowed, otherwise you are completely hosing those units.

Other than that not tooo bad. The move at half terrain boards causes an unfair situation for alot of armies. Esp assualt armies when playing static armies.
JBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2008, 14:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

For the Canyon...flanking should not be allowed (at least on the onthr player side) since the canyon/mountain would prevent that.

The Top of the mountain/canyon should count as dangerous terrain for Jump infantry.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2008, 15:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

we ran a campaign in a store using a fleet map on a star field. Each "ship" was a roster by each player that was set, divided up from 4000 points as they saw fit. So a player could make 2 2000 point rosters or 4 1000 point etc.

We moved each "ship" on the Saturday with ballots and as each ship met at a planet, the rosters fought for that place on the map. each roster was secret, so a very uneven fight may occur, but that was the risk each player took engaging the enemy. Some players made many small rosters to rush into more areas, while some made a large and small mix of rosters. naturally the nid player made one massive roster to chug across the map. everyone had the same amount of movement per fleet to keep things even, but you could create different movement allowances based on fluff too.

each planet let the player replenish his rosters after the battle up to a point limit. So a player dominating more planets more likely had more points in each roster, but you might fight a roster that was almost totally wiped out after a big fight and win the planet.

We even considered making different planet types, giving different bonuses to different army types. Like a hive planet giving Imperials a bonus or a death world giving Nids a bonus, but it was more complicated. But each planet type would determine the type of terrain used too if we had.

It was very successful, and players liked it better then just a pyramid charted league. we even ended up with 3 way battles and people making their own alliances. It was fun.
Old 09 Oct 2008, 00:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBunny
Well you have 4 out of 5 missions that do not allow deepstriking. I will assume units that can always deepstrike will still be allowed, otherwise you are completely hosing those units.

Other than that not tooo bad. The move at half terrain boards causes an unfair situation for alot of armies. Esp assualt armies when playing static armies.
well the missons that take away deepstriking are the ones that are taking locations and so on. and with the half speed maps well yes some armys will come out really bad but its the luck of the roll

Old 09 Oct 2008, 15:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Death
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBunny

well the missons that take away deepstriking are the ones that are taking locations and so on. and with the half speed maps well yes some armys will come out really bad but its the luck of the roll
But thats the whole point of deep striking. You come in late to secure a location, or to contest a location. Your missions and terrain rules seem to nerf certain armies, most marine list.
JBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2008, 03:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

but you would jsut deepstrike all the main locations and the other team wouldnt have a chance to get any and would lose from pure slowness