Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Warhammer 40k 2nd Edition
Old 04 Oct 2008, 22:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Adam Baker
Default Warhammer 40k 2nd Edition

Hello, my fellows.

Last night, I acquired the 2nd Edition Rulebook of the Warhammer 40k game... And the rules, being a little similar to Fantasy, are really nice in my opinion (I gave the rulebook a quick look, nothing too detailed).

The point of the post, is to ask more veterans players, if they could give me more information about playing on 2nd Edition, if it is more difficult, or if it is not worthy of time.

Thanks.
Adam Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Oct 2008, 22:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Warhammer 40k 2nd Edition

2nd Edition was great. Rules like Overwatch changed the dynamic of the game entirely. The problem was that the rules incorporated so many "neat" little rules toys that the game became cumbersome. I started playing in 2nd edition and really enjoyed it (obviously, because I'm still playing). But there is a reason why they eliminated most of the specialty rules from the game.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Oct 2008, 23:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks, Lord Apothecarius Aureus.

Yes, I knew about the abuse of the overwatch that went on in 2nd Edition. Is it also too "Herohammer"? Or it is not?
Old 04 Oct 2008, 23:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

I think the thing about 2nd ed was that with all the rules, it almost forced you into much smaller games. That was part of the reason I loved it so much, every battle felt epic, no matter how small. Bigger games got long and agravating though.
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2008, 00:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
Yes, I knew about the abuse of the overwatch that went on in 2nd Edition. Is it also too "Herohammer"? Or it is not?
From what I remember of it, 2nd edition was extremely "Herohammer". Units of 5 terminators, a single assassin, or a handful of harlequins completely swinging a game.
Old 05 Oct 2008, 00:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ahhhh 2nd edition. I got to experience the dying days of that version of the game. We were just starting to come to terms with all the funky rules and wargear when they made the switchover. From what I remember, there was a fairly high possibility of silly things like overwatch abuse, or someone with 3 or 4 special types of save that could be taken in turn, but somehow none of that mattered when you got a lucky hit on a whirlwind that caused the turret to fly off and hit a greater daemon in the eye.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2008, 00:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Nice.
Seriously though, I am very interested on the Eldar army of 2nd Edition, and I love games with a low model count, but very detailed. I think I will give it a try.

PD: Any advise on using Eldar? My main enemy will be Marine, that's for sure. :P
Old 05 Oct 2008, 18:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I played Eldar in 2nd Edition and they were brutal. Tanks that could effectively Move-shoot-move shuriken catapults with a range of 24 Exarchs that were really cool, Eldar Exodotes (still no models though)...

Down sides and there a quite a few, jet bikes had a damage table!, guns jammed, large games took forever, characters were a bit over powered & but loved it (still do) Very open to abuse but if you got a like minded group of games together well nothing better IMO

no Dark Eldar, they had a paragraph of one little story in Codex; Ultramarines and the Necrons were 'raiders' with a story that was only just being hinted at really gave you so much scope for games
Old 05 Oct 2008, 19:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Sphere
I played Eldar in 2nd Edition and they were brutal. Tanks that could effectively Move-shoot-move shuriken catapults with a range of 24 Exarchs that were really cool, Eldar Exodotes (still no models though)...
Yeah, I pretty much concur. I played Imperial Guard and my Space Marine allies would routinely get stomped by Eldar (though I still think the Eldar player was cheating). I distinctly remember 2nd Edition Harlequins being obscene. The Wraithlord, Warp Spiders and Dark Reapers also caused no end of hurt.
Old 05 Oct 2008, 20:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

There were Warp Spiders on 2nd Edition? I thinked they didn't exist in that times. I can be confusing with the Eldar of Rogue Trader times... :P