Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Should I start playing warhammer 40k or Classic Battletech?
Old 01 Oct 2008, 19:20   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Should I start playing warhammer 40k or Classic Battletech?

Hello. I recently asked this question at a CBT board and got a big response and would like to get your opinions as well. I want to get into one of these games and can't decide. Thanks for any help.
squall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2008, 19:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Should I start playing warhammer 40k or Classic Battletech?

RPGs tend to run a particular crowd, if you know some people I would get a nice used copy and go to town.

Hell in fact,

if you can find a nice used cheap copy, and played up to maybe 750 pts, you could have both.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2008, 19:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Play Classic Battletech. There are too many n00bs in this hobby as it is. :P

[hr]
I'm kidding of course. Honestly, it depends on your local demographic of gamers. Battletech is great. It's a very fun game. I haven't played in years either because no one plays. The area where I live now has a store that sports a bunch of CBT stuff that is currently collecting dust.

So, in short, do some research, find out who is playing what and how often then line yourself up behind the game that you a) like more and b) will get to play most often.

Either that or start playing both!
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2008, 20:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Coincidentally, FASA games like Battletech and Star Trek ship battles eventually led me to Games Workshop. In my opinion, there are so many more possibilities in 40k in terms of collecting, building, playing, what I and others call the "complete hobby" aspect.

There is a lot of merit to taking on what others in your area are playing. What fun is it to fight if you have no opponents? Assuming you can go either way though, I would check out Games Workshop's web site as well as Catalyst Lab's. Think about what you want to get out of it, and go with which ever one seems to best fit that bill.
Old 02 Oct 2008, 22:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Honestly? My recommendation would depend on what you are after most. If it is tournament play, go 40K. If it is just fun, casual gaming, I'd go with Classic Battletech. If it is collecting and painting, 40K is probably your best bet as it has a much wider range of good, detailed models.
Old 03 Oct 2008, 08:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I say play both...but then i play 6 different game systems.
;D

The big points have already been made-

1.player base-
Are there people in your area that play it?
GW is like the microsoft of wargaming. you can go pretty much anywhere in the world and find somebody who plays it. that however doesn't mean it's always the best product.
2.cost-
A basic army for CBT consisting of a clan star or a couple lances of inner sphere will run you between $50 and $80 for the entire force. comapred to $300-$500 for a decent sized 40K army.
3.rules-
CBT has 40K beat hands down when it comes to clear solid rules. CBT is slightly older that 40K but has only had 3 edition changes, most of which were just tweaks to how weapons work or damge tables.

You can play CBT with a hex map or especialy thanks to heavy metal pro on 3D terrain with "inch rules". you can run campaigns, improve stats of pilots and crews and even toss in some role play aspects if you so desire.

However CBT is generally alot more involved than 40K as it is designed as a skirmish game with rules for juat about any situation.

Quote:
In my opinion, there are so many more possibilities in 40k in terms of collecting, building, playing, what I and others call the "complete hobby" aspect.
Have to disagree with that one there. sure it's on a different scale but with over 300 different minitures as well as fan "kit bashing" and terrain building possibilities, 40K hardly has the market cornered. i suggest a visit to cammospecs.com

The real hard part of CBT is the fact that while it is cheap to build a single force....there are so many options to try you many times end up buying more and more. i cuurrently have about 4 stars of clan and 3 or so lances of each of the inner sphere house militaries i play.

Old 03 Oct 2008, 17:46   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hey, thanks for the advice everybody. Support for CBT in my area is nonexistant, but I do stand a (small) chance of getting my friends involved. As for 40k, there are two stores nearby that support it.
Here is a weird question to ask a bunch of 40k players, and I hope you aren't offended, especially since your post show that you are mature and nice.
I've heard that a lot of 40k players and store employees are mean, condescending jerks. Again, everyone here has been nice to me, but is there any truth to that?
Thanks
squall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2008, 18:22   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I don't mean to offend anyone when i say this.

I play both games and have found most CBT player are pretty easy to get along with and desperate to get new players and are very welcoming to newcomers

When i started with 40k several of the stores i went to had a very rude/stuck up crowd of players and i almost gave up the game before i started it just happened that i did meet a couple of decent guys that gave me a chance to play with them.

Now that i know the rules and have my army's the rude/stuck up players are more open of me to play there but first impression stick with me.

But i do give battletech the edge in fun for me as i enjoy it more than warhammer but then again i have been playing it 20 plus years
Marauderk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2008, 19:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The only people I know around here that play Battletech are the same dudes that play 40k, so it's a wash in this case.

In my overall experience in gaming, I can say that you might, and probably will run into jerks at some point for anything. I don't think it's specific to 40k, Warhammer, or even gaming in general. Some people are just jerks, and for every jerk out there, there is a cool dude as well.

Of the several game stores around here, they each, along with their regular customers/players, have distinguished personalities. I chose to play at the location where and with the people whom I best get along.
Old 04 Oct 2008, 00:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Both games are good and both can be expensive.

I have two main armies for 40k 4000pts of Tau and 2000pts Daemon Hunters so I got allot of cash tied up in 40k.

In Battletech I got a reinforced regiment 122 battlemechs , 16 tanks, and infantry / battle armor company. Not to mention Tech Readouts , Rule books, and campaign books. So Btech can also be expensive and addicting.

Pros for Battletech

Core rules have remained the same for decades

Minis are good quality

No factions are ever dropped , they may become a sub-faction of another though. ( Smoke Jaguars don't count because they can be used as raiders/pirates after 3060's or played as a whole in the 3050's)

Core box set comes with rules, mechsheets ,maps, and 24 mechs (maybe more) which is enough for a company vs company 2 player or lance for 4 players.

Pros for 40k

The starter box is a good deal with a rule book and two small armies (around 500pts each I think)

Minis are top of the line

Has a good number of factions to play

On your second question there are good and bad players in any game. Battltech does not lend it self well to cheesy players so that may thin out those players faster.

If more people are playing 40k in your area you could always introduce them to Battletech as something to play when your group needs a day off from 40k.

PS : Iím Saint71 on the CBT forum

I am your lighted way and I am your darkest day. -Godsmack
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote