Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How table top worthy do your models need to be?
View Poll Results: What are your models painted like?
3 colour minimum 11 10.28%
Basic theme paint job 53 49.53%
Showcase worthy 22 20.56%
God like 3 2.80%
Umm painted? 18 16.82%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01 Oct 2008, 14:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default How table top worthy do your models need to be?

I recently had a conversation with Dan Dan the Spacewolf man about how I only want to paint my models so on the battle board they look good but not showcase amazing as I don't have the patience like Dan who has been painting his Spacewolves for ages. So it got me thinking what do the guys of Tau Online think.

(I'm waiting for Plastic Grey Knights until I spend time making some models to be displayed with pride as ill have models to use in the mean time)

So do you paint your models to the basic 3 colour minimum required by most tournaments, a nice scheme but enough just to be recognised as a certain chapter etc or like Dan Dan the Spacewolf man something painted to be displayed with pride?
Old 01 Oct 2008, 14:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: How table top worthy do your models need to be?

Mine aren't painted...yet.

Eventually, I would go for a 3 color personal theme so that I can use them in tournement, but without going for showcase quality.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2008, 14:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
Mine aren't painted...yet.

Eventually, I would go for a 3 color personal theme so that I can use them in tournement, but without going for showcase quality.
Id check with the person in charge though as sometimes they ask for more but not often
Old 01 Oct 2008, 15:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I paint my Tau flat black and light grey with red accentson the Shas'ui, as befits Vior'la warriors.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2008, 15:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Most of my mini's are painted well, but cutting a few corners, sometimes a bit sloppy highlights, layering or blending. Certain figures i take longer on and do them as best i can. But as i enjoy painting, its not a chore painting an army, even if my current one has taken 3 months already and only half way there.
I aim to get them "Godlike" but I dont think they are .... well... not yet
Thantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2008, 15:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by [LeeStar
link=topic=72884.msg1042833#msg1042833 date=1222872897]
Id check with the person in charge though as sometimes they ask for more but not often
Well most would be 3 colors schemes, but my kroot and vespid would probably have a bit more...in all practical use they would probably have a touch of a 4th or 5th color.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2008, 15:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I checked "Basic Theme Paint Job" mainly because I've seen the "three color" rule put to the extreme... that's to say models are base coated (or just undercoated/primed) and they painted two stripes on them of different colors.

To me, that's not in the spirit which it was intended. Depending on what you are painting, I think it's acceptable to have a basic color for the figure, a counter-color for clothing/helmets/accessories, and a highlight color to bring out some detail.

I'm not the greatest painter, but I'd like to be able to take a little pride in what I put on the table.
<----
Old 01 Oct 2008, 16:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Oddly enough you don't have the one cat that you put yourself in.

"Looks good on the table"

This falls between Showcase and Basic Theme Job. I use more than three colors and try to bring out as mush detail as possible.

I paint so that it looks good on the table. If you pick it up you will notice some small areas of improvement thats needed. Like I don't do a whole lot with highlights. But I put as much detail as I can. If I ever get the Games Day model finished I will post pics. (But dont hold your breathe for it.)
JBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2008, 16:05   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I like mine to be the best i can paint them.
Marauderk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2008, 16:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm not the best of painters (though always improving) and I generally don't like to put anything on the table that isn't at least mostly painted to the best of my ability. Though when playing in the big "just for fun" Apoc games I do put out unpainted minis though they are always primed.

The only thing that annoys me is when you face someone who has amazing or at least fully painted minis and they're not even based.

But you don't want to know what he does with his left...
Twiggen is offline   Reply With Quote