Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Getting Frustrated... Sticky? Codexes - 5th Ed and Updates
Old 01 Oct 2008, 12:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Getting Frustrated... Sticky? Codexes - 5th Ed and Updates

Okay, this is kinda frustrating. People saying "Will X army be updated for 5th Ed anytime soon? I want to start but blah blah blah *Circus smacks head on keyboard*"

The following armies ALREADY HAVE 5th Ed format Codexes, and therefore you shouldn't expect a new one for them anytime soon.
  • Dark Angels
  • Eldar
  • Blood Angels
  • Chaos Space Marines
  • Chaos Daemons
  • Orks
  • Space Marines

The oldest existing codexes are as follows:
  • Space Wolves
  • Dark Eldar
  • Imperial Guard
  • Daemonhunters
  • Necrons
  • Witch Hunters

We KNOW that the soonest planned codexes are Space Wolves (bizarrely), Guard, and Necrons. We HOPE for an Inquisition codex, combining Ordos Xenos, Hereticus and Malleus. There's also hope for Chaos Legions codex, but I don't think that's too likely and I think the general consensus is the same.

WHAT THIS MEANS IS you can't expect a new book for the first list anytime soon (like around 3 years), and those that don't feature on either list we can't put a date on. So we don't know about Tau, but it probably won't be for a while as GW have a LOT of work to do. The books on the SECOND list we can probably expect sooner - perhaps about 18 months to get them all sorted.

With things like Dark Eldar and Witch Hunters its not so much the books that are the issues but the model ranges. With things like Daemonhunters and Necrons the books need an overhaul. The Guard need an FAQ re: Kill Points but as I understand it the core book is solid.

Nevertheless.

The main point of this post is showing you what the most recent and eldest Codexes are, and using this information (it is NOT rocket science) working out when the next book will come out. Please stop asking all over the place, it is doing my nut in and it is not too hard to find the information on the forum.

Now it's even easier.

Circus and out.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2008, 12:50   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Getting Frustrated... Sticky? Codexes - 5th Ed and Updates

I can feel your frustration, Circus. This should be stickied for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
The Guard need an FAQ re: Kill Points but as I understand it the core book is solid.
Yes, the Codex is quite fine but we also like an update one in awhile along the other codices
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2008, 14:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'd love to see an update of the Inquisition codex that takes away the Allies rule. I'm seeing the same couple inquisitors in every Imperium army I face, and it's old. Everybody else stopped allying, get with the game, Inquisition.

Edit:

I'd sticky this if it was purely informative. That is, I'd probably sticky a list of codexes that have 5th edition versions and those that don't. Circus' paragraphs don't feel sufficiently indisputable to be part of a sticky though, and it seems like removing them and then stickying just the lists is not terribly nice.
Old 01 Oct 2008, 16:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeah it would be good to put a list like this somewhere that is easily accessible as I too feel Circus' pain.

But you don't want to know what he does with his left...
Twiggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2008, 16:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Or even better...

If GW stopped mucking around and told us when each new codex was coming out via schedule.

(yes i get annoyed with rumours that every man and his dog are getting a new codex yesterday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmon
Phwoar.
manic-swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2008, 19:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic-swede
Or even better...

If GW stopped mucking around and told us when each new codex was coming out via schedule.

(yes i get annoyed with rumours that every man and his dog are getting a new codex yesterday)
Problem with this though, is if GW is anything like Palladium Books in terms of scheduling, they'll spend more time re-writing and updating print schedules then actual books. I love Palladium and Rifts, but it's nearly impossible to plan on getting a book at a set time. And I do know the problems they face, i used to be a printer. It ain't easy work. I think Mechanoid Space has been on the "Released THIS year" list for about 15 years...
you should know by now GW likes to do it backwards... "Mr. Tank driver, drive me closer so I can hit it with my sword!"
Hope. This is not a plan. This is not a solution. It is reaction.
Togashi Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2008, 00:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I don't know whether you can really say these codices are old gw will do them first as that hasn't really been there policy in the past. If they did update things in turn dark eldar would have been done by now. It will just be a case of wait and see especially if they do intend to do a major conversion of metal figures to plastic, that may push codex back or forwards depending on metal content of a codex range.
Old 02 Oct 2008, 02:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servant of Naggaroth
I don't know whether you can really say these codices are old gw will do them first as that hasn't really been there policy in the past. If they did update things in turn dark eldar would have been done by now. It will just be a case of wait and see especially if they do intend to do a major conversion of metal figures to plastic, that may push codex back or forwards depending on metal content of a codex range.
I'd have to say that is probably what is holding DE up since it was rumored to be one of the first 5e books they were going to do.

Initially, I think the low popularity wasn't helping DE any, but with Soulstorm as well as the whole new line of Dark Elves that just came out, I think we will see some new DE within the next year.
Old 02 Oct 2008, 03:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40kenthusiast
I'd love to see an update of the Inquisition codex that takes away the Allies rule. I'm seeing the same couple inquisitors in every Imperium army I face, and it's old. Everybody else stopped allying, get with the game, Inquisition.
The point is the Inquisition is meant to ally to and ally with other Imperial armies. Its a way to legally and fluffily mix Imperial armies and it tends to work pretty darn well. If you've got some opponents fielding an Inquisitor just because then you should speak with your opponents about that, but that doesn't mean its a fault with the rules.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2008, 04:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus

The oldest existing codexes are as follows:
  • Space Wolves
  • Dark Eldar
  • Imperial Guard
  • Daemonhunters
  • Necrons
  • Witch Hunters

I was going to start a similar thread.

I hear you, and I identify with your frustrations.

But we might speculate here.

As you said for whatever reason Spacewolves are on the short list, and we already have Space Marines. GW does not usually release more than two Imperial codices in a row. So, if Spacewolves are really next then we should get Necrons after that, since DE need a complete overhaul. Necron would be the easiest non-Imperial codex to update.

We have already heard rumors of the IG losing their doctrines and the new Inquisition codex.

If your talking non-Imperial armies the Tau should be next in line after 'crons and DE.

Plus the Dark Angels 'Dex seems lame compared to the new Codex Space Marines. So, we might see an Angel's Codex sooner than most of us would want.

Therefore, might I suggest the pattern will look something like this:

Spacewolves
Necrons
Imperial Guard
Dark Eldar
Inquisition
(Dark Angels might sneak in here)
Tau