Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Has GW gotten too pushy?
Old 28 Sep 2008, 23:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Has GW gotten too pushy?

Now, I realize, sure, its a retail store, they have to sell things... but today, for example, I had to wait ten minutes for someone to come over to the checkouts because one red shirt was busy with a starter game, and the rest were busy trying to foist army boxes on newbies. When I finally got one to ring out my order of a single container of super glue(small I know, but at their prices, still mostly profit), I was asked about the following before I was told the following before I was allowed to check out:

Plastic glue is better than super glue(Im doing metal/resin models).
I need to preorder a drop pod.
Asked if I wanted to buy flock.
Asked if I wanted to buy bases.

All of this after he asked me if I wanted anything else today, and I told him no. In my experience the local bunker doesnt have this sort of pressure, and neither does the indie shop(though they have less selection), but the mall stores are downright terrible. Its as if they assume everyone coming through is a complete newbie, and that they need to sucker them into buying as much random junk as possible.

Thoughts?

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2008, 00:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Has GW gotten too pushy?

well my thoughts are rather along the lines of thus:

As you've said they are a retail store, in which case their main goal is money. WS's stores seem to stress more oof the profit aspect and a bit less of the gaming aspect because the company wants money. Now is this wrong? Not really. It isn't much worse than when you go into a bookstore. (i'm in the states) Take Barnes and Noble, or Booksamillion for example. I use to work for B&N and while it's a nice place we still had to "push" people for extras just to boost revinue. Anytime you ask someone for extra stuff even if they didn't say they wanted anything right off the bat the store will have a slight chance that the guy goes "hey yeah...I guess some flock would be good now that I think of it" and even I've had this problem. Now perhaps they should't be pushing all the preorders around, but instead noting "There's a few new things up for preorder such as...." and let you decide.

So being too pushy? not really if you compare them to most other specialty retailers, they are about the same. Now waiting for service, that is something that gets on my nerves. If they are too busy to check me out because they're hoisting boxes off on newbs then maybe I'll go buy it somewhere else...
“If I were a proper brother-captain, I would know the prayer we are supposed to say. But I think you all know what we have to do. We do not know what our chances of survival are, so we fight as if they were zero. We do not know what we are facing, so we fight as if it was the dark gods themselves. No one will remember us now and we may never be buried beneath Titan, so we will build our own memorial here. The Chapter might lose us and the Imperium might never know we existed, but the Enemy - the Enemy will know. The Enemy will remember." - Acting Brother-Capitan Alric of the Grey Knights.
GKTerminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2008, 00:34   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well... first post. Hi.

But, yah. A few friends of mine and I started up recently, and I tend to be a bit cynical, and keep in mind that they want to make money. One of my friends started SMs as his first army, and I was rather speechless when they managed to push him into pre-ordering two AoBR sets. I would have thought it acceptable if they'd mentioned the fact that you can buy bits to convert them, (assault cannons for the termies, Different weapons for the Dread,) but no.

And they were also trying to convince him to get the spearhead last time he was there. (Instead, he picked up his first vehicle, a rhino, and a command squad. They did talk him into pre-ordering the new codex, though.)

However, they've never bothered me. I think it's because I've started Tau, and there are no new releases.
Originally Posted by BRC
The W40k universe is like a hobo with a terminal disease tied to some railroad tracks in the middle of a warzone.
And that's not awesome how?
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2008, 00:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I know every store typically has the "ask about this", and so long as it's one item, or makes sense with what Im purchasing, I dont mind being asked...it's when it's a giant list of stuff, or you get asked to buy a battlebox the instant you step in the store. As for the preorders, every GW Ive seen has a board on the wall showing the prices and dates of all new arrivals, and any preorder info.

Sure, it gets a few extra sales, but I buy a rather large amount of stuff just while hanging out and playing. Stores that discourage that by being annoying are going to lose quite a bit of that, and Im not sure that GW is paying enough attention to that.

If you focus on the games, people will buy what they want to play, but if you focus on the sale, people get burned out.

Oh, said store was pushing people to preorder 3+ black rock sets. The day that blackrock came in, they had a megabattle, only allowing black rock sets on the field, and giving bonus strategems to people for buying more sets. Yeah, I ordered my black rock sets elsewhere.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2008, 00:56   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Have you tried calling GW recently? They do the same thing on their phone lines now. You need to sit through product reminders while you wait for assistance, sometimes for quite a while.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2008, 02:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Wow that is kind of sad. I like plastic glue more than super glue. Also if there is a craft store called Michael's near you can get plastic glue in them for like more than Games workshop amount and for almost half the price in my area at least.
Tynmyr that is wrong. I think getting a bigger bonus in a game for having more money is stupid and I would not play in that.
Wait the ads on the phone service are discussing. Seriously making a game where you cannot play because you do not have a set is dumb espically conisdering that black reach is a better deal than some other armies.
Old 29 Sep 2008, 03:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

I recall a while back when I was in a GW there was a staffer training a new guy. He started going through this lil demonstation on selling stuff to people which was basically him telling the guy to give people an intro game, then start literally piling stuff they "need" into their arms, which consisted of the starter box, the battleforce and codex of the army they used in the intro, one of every boxed set the company makes for that army plus assorted paint, glue and etc. By the end I swear the trainee staffer was struggling to hold all the stuff he was being told to try and sell people the first time they walked into the store!

Needless to say, I was not amused.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2008, 03:38   #8 (permalink)
lonely tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Needless to say, I was not amused.
You mean it wasn't funny looking at "on the job" training for GW? I'd be laughing pretty hard

But yes, to throw my lot in here, the GW shops generally tend to be incredibly pushy for stuff to buy. For example, playing my Dark Eldar army at GW Pleasanton, I was told I should start marines or guard or just an Imperial army in general. I laughed, I absolutely hate all of the Human armies...
Old 29 Sep 2008, 03:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

I remember someone on here who actually worked as a Redshirt mentioning that they're contractually obligated to try to get you to "buy moar stuff lololol" purchase as much as they can talk you into.

I haven't been down in the past few weeks, so I don't know if the local shop has started some new kind of frenzy, but this is above and beyond what I've seen or heard of in the past.

It's in the same vein, but a new level.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2008, 03:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Huh. I must be lucky. I've not known the staff at the GW I visit to be pushy at all. They'll tell you about stuff if you ask about it or suggest units based on what army you have and what you want to do with it, but they haven't tried to push stuff on me.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote