Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Will you guys yell at beginner?
Old 27 Sep 2008, 04:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Will you guys yell at beginner?

Will you guys yell at beginner? I played 40 k for a month basically I just collect them and paint it for hobby. I had a very bad game last couple week, I m a new player, u know. So i made some mistake, I didnt know why people get mad becasue i make some mistake at the rule. I told him I m still new at the game,and he told me you need to know the rule very well first. so will u guys treat new people like crap. I dont think he helped me for the rule , he just yellled at me. This is my story. ^-^
Old 27 Sep 2008, 04:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Will you guys yell at beginner?

No. The worst thing to do is to yell at a new player. This is a difficult hobby, and new people need all the help and support they can get. Everyone makes mistakes, and a game is just not worth yelling over, as a general rule.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2008, 04:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

So...what exactly happened, anyway? Kinda hard to say anything about this case in particular.

But no, most people wouldn't yell at someone who was just learning the rules. And I'd go so far as to say that telling someone you basically need to know the rules in and out before ever playing a game is stupid, one of the best ways to learn is hands-on experience with the damn game. I might be a little annoyed if, after about four or five games, someone couldn't remember what they needed to roll to hit with BS4, but there's never any reason to yell at anyone over this game, or act like a jerk in general.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2008, 05:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yes, I'll yell at you, then feed you your models, then feed you my models, throw you down the stairs, then call the cops and tell them you stole and ate my models.

In seriousness, don't worry about it. People get uptight sometimes, but thats just people, yknow? Most folks are fine about it.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2008, 06:30   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Jeeze man, I'm just getting in to... This sounds like a lot of resistance...

I doubt anyone could really justify yelling at new players though... But what was the situation? It's sounds like it wasn't just because you were a new player. Do you think you could've accidentally annoyed the other person some other way, outside of the game on accident?

Some people are just mean though, even 40k players, don't let it beat up on you too much though
Old 27 Sep 2008, 07:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've been playing about a year, which is long enough to know the rules but short enough to remember what it was like when I didn't. Most people are understanding and patient, particularly when you're upfront about the fact that you're new: which you said you were. Nobody I've played has had any problem slowing down the game and explaining what's happening as it happens so a newbie can figure out what's going on. Often, they'll even give their newbie opponent advice in good faith on how to counter their own moves.

Sounds to me like the guy you played was a jerk; remember who he is and play other people if possible. You should have a much better experience.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2008, 08:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I never met the guy before the game. I guessed he was a mad man
Old 27 Sep 2008, 10:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Tech_Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombevil
Will you guys yell at beginner? I played 40 k for a month basically I just collect them and paint it for hobby. I had a very bad game last couple week, I m a new player, u know. So i made some mistake, I didnt know why people get mad becasue i make some mistake at the rule. I told him I m still new at the game,and he told me you need to know the rule very well first. so will u guys treat new people like Klkn. I dont think he helped me for the rule , he just yellled at me. This is my story. ^-^
what a jerk.
I'm only 6 months in the game, so im pretty new too
Still havent won me a game =\ ah well
like someone said, don't play the guy again, there are much better people out there.
Old 27 Sep 2008, 10:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

As many people have already said, he sounds like a jerk! However, when asking for a game or when offered a game, try telling them straight away that your new to the game and don't fully know all the rules . That way you can reap the benefits of getting things explained aswell as avoiding arguments like that. One thing that I would expect you to do, however, is to try and learn your army rules. If your opponent doesn't have your army book than they can't possibly know all the rules for your army . So try and learn all the rules for your army, or play people who collect/have the codex for your army if you don't .
MalusHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2008, 18:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

that guy is a jerk for yelling at you for making a mistake. I remember when I first started playing, my oppenenats explained to me the finner points of the rules, and they still are, as now I'm starting Fantasy as well.

Current 2010 Tau recored
1-0-0
xv-8 is offline   Reply With Quote