Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Shop honor vs. Discount sellers
Old 21 Sep 2008, 21:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Shop honor vs. Discount sellers

Admittedly, I am new to the whole in-store gaming scene. I've never had a store where I could go game, meet gamers and shop at. I'm used to purchasing my figures from one of two 20% off dealers with whom I've developed good business relationships.

This brings me to a sort of conundrum. My shop offers no such discount. This bothers me because I can readily get models (typically within a week) for 20% off with no shipping from another dealer. For purchases of 1-2 items, this isn't a big deal. But when I purchase a pile of models, well, it can add up quickly.

Take last night for instance. I dropped $200.00 at my shop on various Eldar goodies. Had I bought these from a discount dealer, I would have saved $40.00. That's a couple date nights with my wife or even another Wave Serpent.

So why should I continue to buy from my local store? My reason for this purchase was simply to consider that $40.00 as "rent" for being able to game there. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a huge deal, I suppose. But my wife is a cheapskate and I think I might be getting it second hand. :P

In all seriousness. What is the protocol here? Do I go back to buying from the discount vendor? Do I talk to my store owner and ask for a discount? Do I simply buckle down and pay the higher price as a sort of "tribute" for invading his store every Saturday and using his tables & terrain?
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2008, 22:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Sinsparagon
Default Re: Shop honor vs. Discount sellers

You should have to buy things at a store to feel welcome, I don't buy things at the local games stores around me because of the discount I get online.

If anyone asked me why I don't buy things from the local store I point out that I would prefer to save money.

I do see where you are coming from though. I believe that if you make enough friends/help enough people out at your local store the staff won't care so much about where you buy your stuff.

**EDIT**

I do agree with buying "Most Haves" at local stores. These might include: Paint, brushes, a shinny new model you can't wait for.... Green stuff and the like. Anything above $20 I buy online.
Sinsparagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2008, 22:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nathan

From my experience, buying models online at a discount is just fine, one hobby store employee even told me to do so! That is unless the shop you're playing at is a games workshop, where the employees are told to shove models and pre-orders down your throat. In which case I make it a point to not buy from them.

All that being said I usually make it a point to buy at least one small thing from a real hobby store, be it paint, dice, or a cool Rackham miniature.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2008, 22:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

just remeber that if it is a GW store and they're sales are not great one day the store just might not be their anymore to play at. I have bought 99% of my models from GW as I cannot wait a week for my stuff. I do understanding your woes though and it is a hard decision to make.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2008, 22:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nathan

They won't necessarily cease to exist, low sales happened to the GW by me and they just changed the amount of days they were open during the week/cut hours. They still sold the same amount, people just knew they couldn't go buy minis on Mondays.

The 20%-30% extra you are paying at stores are the costs to run a brick and mortar establishment(lease, wages, etc). They need it to survive, it's one of those cases that it's fine for you to buy online but is not okay if too many people start doing it.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2008, 22:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Protocol is to do what is best from you.

You might be shocked to know that we own stores - but if our customers are spending their hard earned money then they should get the most back from it.

Stores owners typically say "the lights wont stay on for free" and yes you should support the store so it is there next time you want to play if your using there space (cause that means its that guys hard earned money)

Which is why we have at least 25% off in our stores. How the heck can we tell people to pay full retail and to ignore a better deal, that would be ludicrous.

Our customers also know we sell to you guys at 30% off and they understand that paying 5% more and the local taxes is just a cost to keep the doors open but at the same time having a whole store just miles away where everything is 25% off is not taken for granted by them.

Before i get off track I think its good for me to remember that you are not coming to one of our stores and as you said that you can not get a discount at your stores.

Well - my opinion is to buy the stuff with the discounters unless situation grants it - such as you need some glue, buy that from the store. And also telling a store owner your feelings may not be a bad idea.

something like this.

"hey, i been buying my stuff from some internet places, and i still do. Is it possible for you to match that and i could bring some strong support to this place?"

and if they say no then oh well, you are fine because you didn't lose anything.

Our founder made his first store with the intent to have mass in store discounts and a bank told him he was crazy because there was no way he could possibly make money to cover overhead. So he did it with his own money.

I think he is opening a new store with a big comic book lady this weekend... looks like his idea worked.

He always says this.

" remember that GOLDEN RULE you learned when you were a kid, something about treating others how you would want to be treated... well I like the platinum rule then -> Treat people how THEY want to be treated, who gives a Klkn how I want to be treated, this is about them."
Old 22 Sep 2008, 01:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

My local store isn't the closest store to me, but compared to the alternatives it does have a more mature agreeable atmosphere due to good management and the right location. The 15% off RRP is nice too but that's just icing on the cake.

And .... *Mail Lady arrives*

The stuff I ordered from GT just arrived, that's awesome. I'm like busy now....
"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..." ~ Terry Pratchett
ParadoxRifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2008, 01:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyena031
just remeber that if it is a GW store and they're sales are not great one day the store just might not be their anymore to play at.
Which is one of my concerns - not that GW will close it (as it's not a GW store) but that they might go out of business someday. As you and Nathan said, that extra money goes to keep the lights on. They pay that money whether or not I buy stuff there when I stay till 1am gaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaTactics
" remember that GOLDEN RULE you learned when you were a kid, something about treating others how you would want to be treated... well I like the platinum rule then -> Treat people how THEY want to be treated, who gives a Klkn how I want to be treated, this is about them."
You've made some good points. I suppose if it boils down to the Golden Rule, then I should shop at the local store. I hated it when I was in the paint business and someone would say "I can can get this cheaper elsewhere". I used to justify the fact that our prices were higher because of the service. This shop's service is allowing me to game there. So the higher price should be justified.

Thanks all. You've helped me make my choice.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2008, 02:18   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

My local Gaming store will be closing it's doors September the 26th. It's a very busy store gamer wise as there are 40k and Fantasy games there almost everyday. It is also mostly collage age games who have little money to spend and hang out there allot to have something to do.

Reason for closing is that he could not get people to buy from him he even gives 15 percent off all instore stock of GW. But most people still bought on-line because they would say well we still save 5 or ten percent more on-line.

I liked the owner and bought all my stuff from him if i could sometimes he could not get something he would give me sites to get them. Now i have an hour and a 1/2 drive to get to the closest store to game at and all the other guys are pretty much screwed now as they have huge army's they have bought on-line but nowhere to go that had AC, tables,terrain and friendly atmosphere.

Marauderk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2008, 02:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I get a discount at the store I go to because I'm a member. I always buy from the store, unless there is a increadable deal on eBay.

I got the orginal T'au battle force box for like $40 years ago.