Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Re-Rolling To Wound versus Vehicles??
View Poll Results: Can "re-roll to wound" also be applied to Vehicles? Or are they immune?
Yes, if you aren't re-rolling on your "To Penetrate" misses, you are short-handing yourself. 3 7.89%
Yes but only for certain weapons/abilities. 0 0%
Not sure, that's a really good question. FAQ please? 5 13.16%
No. If it doesnt say 'this applies to vehicles too' then you can't affect them 4 10.53%
No. Vehicles simply have no wound characteristic so are naturally immune. 26 68.42%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 20 Sep 2008, 03:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou
Default Re-Rolling To Wound versus Vehicles??

I always wondered about this one...always had the burning question about re-rolls vs vehicles.

There's many powers and abilities in 40k that allows re-rolls "To Hit" &/or "To Wound"

how do these work against vehicles? The "To Hit" re-rolls you obviously get vs vehicles but what about 'To Wound' since vehicles have no wounds?? the problem is because it's never said that they do NOT work against vehicles whereas other other strong abilities that only affect troops tend to explicitedly say 'this power/ability has no effect against vehicles'

and even in the new 5th edition vehicle cover save rules, they do not even tell you exactly 'when' you are supposed to make a cover save for a vehicle so it's assume that it works the same as for any other models, making a save after the 'To Wound' roll has been made a.k.a after you roll on for penetration.

So the question I have is, do these special weapons, abilities or what not that re-roll 'to wound' also get to re-roll penetration results against vehicles? Or is there anything in the rulebook that indicates that vehicles are immune to such powers? It's been puzzling me for a while now since I never re-roll versus vehicles but I sure as hell wish I could at times, like when using Chaos Space Marine warptime, lightning claws and other such abilities/weapons.
Old 20 Sep 2008, 03:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Re-Rolling To Wound versus Vehicles??

Do vehicles have wounds? If a vehicle has wounds, you can re-roll to wound rolls.

If I'm correct, vehicles do not have wounds, thus cannot re-roll failed armour penetration rolls.
Old 20 Sep 2008, 03:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

First off it does indeed say when to make this check, I quote from the Rulebook:

"If the target is obscured and suffers a glancing or penetrating hit, it may take a cover save aginst it exactly like a non-vehicle model would do against a wound (for example, a save of 5+ for a hedge, 4+ for a building, 3+ for a fortification, and so on). If the save is passed, the hit is discarded and no roll is made on the Vehicle Damage table."

Now to your question: rerolls to hit agianst a vehicle yes. Rerolls to wound, no. The reason being that you don't wound a vehicle, the rule itself would need to state something akin to "reroll all failed to hit, wound, and armour penetration rolls" to affect a vehicle.
“If I were a proper brother-captain, I would know the prayer we are supposed to say. But I think you all know what we have to do. We do not know what our chances of survival are, so we fight as if they were zero. We do not know what we are facing, so we fight as if it was the dark gods themselves. No one will remember us now and we may never be buried beneath Titan, so we will build our own memorial here. The Chapter might lose us and the Imperium might never know we existed, but the Enemy - the Enemy will know. The Enemy will remember." - Acting Brother-Capitan Alric of the Grey Knights.
Old 20 Sep 2008, 03:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

I do agree with the 'vehicles have no wounds, thus are not affected' thinking.

however I can't help but wonder if anyone has ever contacted GW about this because it definetly doesnt seem too farfetched for a power like warptime to work against vehicles as well.
Old 20 Sep 2008, 03:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If they let you reroll the Armour Penetration dice or the damage table dice, it would say so.
If they don't, then they do nothing special to them. Living bullets biting into victims isn't going to work against ceramite, steel or other advanced alloys used for vehicles.

I wouldn't think GW would argue against me here, but there's always someone who thinks differently. Contacting GW is likely to give a range of answers for most subjects anyway.
Old 20 Sep 2008, 03:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

lol living bullets reminds me of tyranid living ammunition.

that one DEFINETLY should be able to re-roll vs vehicles which it's a sad thing that it can't the whole point is that the living ammunition finds the gaps or weakpoints in the target and affects it through there.

on a vehicle it could sneak in through ventilation shafts or something other (use ur imagination) and attack the crew inside. bleh
Old 20 Sep 2008, 03:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Vehicles have neither toughness nor wounds so a re-rolls to wound have no effect. Some weapons do specifically say that you may re roll armour penetration, so don't stop reading at the first line
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 20 Sep 2008, 04:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Could you provide an example of this?
The codex with which I am most familiar is Eldar, and the only thing I can think of in there where you would get to re-roll a wound is with Doom. Doom does not work against vehicles.
Old 20 Sep 2008, 04:50   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

No. There is never a "to wound" roll against models without a toughness. You would have to decide whether the roll to penetrate was the roll to wound, or the damage roll. There is no clean way to extend the rule to vehicles.

Tyranids used to have ways of attacking the crew of vehicles back in 2nd Edition. The Barbed Strangler was particularly good at it.
Old 20 Sep 2008, 06:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

are there any examples of thing sthat let you re-roll on the 'to penetrate' roll?