Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

NOOB: How do grenades work?
Old 16 Sep 2008, 17:44   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default NOOB: How do grenades work?

Yup... I am unclear on this. Did a search, and found lots of great tactica, but no clear explanation of how its carried out, and I read bits in the 5th ed book, but of course am still unclear.

My example is with the Tau as that's the army I will be playing.

so here are 2 examples:
1. Photon grenades. Does the unit/model have to attack with the grenade before the assaulting unit enters cc, or does the grenade automatically go off at the time of cc thus reducing the number of attacks of the assaulting unit, or does your defending model attack during assault with the grenade like a normal cc attack? Because if its the first case, how would you know the opponents unit will assault (they could just wait till a later round), and if your defending unit attacks during assault with the grenade as normal cc, in the case of the tau their initiative leaves them usually assaulting last and the point of the grenade is obsolete. So I am hoping it is the grenade is discharged when the assaulting party assaults automatically.

2. But in the case of an EMP grenade, in the 5th ed book, it states that the infantry unit must use the grenade as their attack if using a grenade, and are unable to attack with a weapon. This makes it sound like using a grenade is a result of a normal cc attack utilizing initiative ect.

If someone would clarify I'd appreciate it! It seems like there shouldn't be 2 different ways grenades work. Just 1. And maybe there is, but I don't know what that is. ???

Thx!
Randy

Randoramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2008, 17:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: NOOB: How do grenades work?

Umm... I'm pretty sure it should say in the rulebook clearly. EMPs roll to hit using the correct chart given in the rulebook for grenades vs vehicles. Photons are automatically activated when your opponent charges, negating all extra attacks granted by special rules (not special weapons) as well as the normal +1 for charging .
MalusHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2008, 19:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Tech_Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalusHunter
Umm... I'm pretty sure it should say in the rulebook clearly. EMPs roll to hit using the correct chart given in the rulebook for grenades vs vehicles. Photons are automatically activated when your opponent charges, negating all extra attacks granted by special rules (not special weapons) as well as the normal +1 for charging .
grenades against vehicles count as your CC attack, so if you throw a grenade, no CC attacks for him.
Fluff-wise, you would be focusing on throwing that 'nade and not pulling the vehicle apart.
Old 16 Sep 2008, 19:29   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Ok, thx. I guess that's whats confusing is that vs vehicles, the grenade uses a cc attack, but it sounds like vs infantry, grenades may not count as a cc attack. Thus with my photon grenade, with a unit of 10 firewarriors, I would still get 10 cc counter attacks, and the photon grenade would go off eliminating the bonus for assaulting for the attacker. Perhaps, its an attack vs defense thing...
Randoramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2008, 19:33   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Correct, the grenades "automatically" go off, and you still get your 10 attacks.

That is how it works.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2008, 20:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Tech_Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randoramma
Ok, thx. I guess that's whats confusing is that vs vehicles, the grenade uses a cc attack, but it sounds like vs infantry, grenades may not count as a cc attack. Thus with my photon grenade, with a unit of 10 firewarriors, I would still get 10 cc counter attacks, and the photon grenade would go off eliminating the bonus for assaulting for the attacker. Perhaps, its an attack vs defense thing...
A model using a grenade against a tank, can only make one attack, no matter the amount of attacks on their profile, a space marine captain with 3 attacks on his basic profile with a powerfist can use a grenade on a tank, but cant use his powerfist or any other attack against the tank, he can throw the grenade and thats it.
Against infantry the grenade is automatic and does not take away any attacks you may normally have.
Old 17 Sep 2008, 04:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Generally, grenades are divided into assaultffensive, assault:defensive, and weapon. Most of them can be used as weapon, with various stats. Defensive grenades, like photon grenades are used automatically if another unit charges you. Photon grenades remove the bonus attacks that a unit gets for charging you, but all other attacks function as normal. If 10 space marines, with 2 attacks each, charge a unit without photon grenades they get an extra attack for charging, making 30 swings. If the charged unit had photon grenades, the space marines would only get their base attacks, making 20.

Frag grenades, and a few others that work like frags, cancel the initiative advantage of a unit that is in cover. Normally, a unit charging into cover acts at initiative 1. If they have frag grenades the act at their normal initiative.

Most grenades can be used as a weapon against vehicles. A model with grenades can make a single grenade attack in place of its regular melee attacks. The grenade will either have a strength (krak) to use like a regular weapon, or a special effect (EMP, haywire) that effects the vehicle. Frag and Photon grenades can also be used this way, but they have a low strength.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote