Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Using Kroots as Imperial Guard
Old 15 Sep 2008, 10:47   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Using Kroots as Imperial Guard

A few nights ago, I had, what is for me, a really cool idea of making Daemonhunters army led by a very radical Inquisitor (who obviously uses Daemonhosts) and is stationed out in the far reaches of the galaxy near Tau space. Because he's been stationed far away in what amounts to a backwater area, the Inquisition (and the Empire) have more or less cut his funding to the bare minimum; essentially all he has are Inquisitorial Stormtroopers and a few Chimeras. The Lord then has, what he calls 'a vision' concerning a future invasion by a Daemon-led Tau army. Immediately the Lord sends for reinforcements however his requests go unanswered. Fearing the worst, the Inquisitor Lord mounts a small tactical campaign to recruit any and all peoples he can, however, few heed his call and the Lord is forced to look 'outside the box' for answers. The Lord decides to hire and subsequently train a a legion of Kroot Mercs. These Mercenaries prove their worth and pass basic training with ease. Now with a mighty army at his disposal, the Lord waits for the Daemon to arise and begin his invasion...

Obviously I would equip/model the Imperial Guard's equipment onto the Kroots, such as weapons and grenades but, I'm not sure how legal it is for play. So my basic question is this: Is it legal to use Kroots, modeled with the correct wargear, as Imperial Guard soldiers in my Radical Inquisitor's army?
Elemental_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2008, 11:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Using Kroots as Imperial Guard

Since they have the same size base, you could say that the kroot "count as" regular guardsmen. If you want them to actually be kroot, I don't think the fluff would allow it. The kroot would have no problem working for the Imperium, since they'll work for anybody who pays them well enough, but that's the only part that works. Tau are unlikely to follow Daemons, both because of the absolute control the Ethereals have over them and because they are almost immune to the warp, therefore almost immune to the corruption of Chaos. Also, the Imperium is so xenophobic that I don't think even a desperate governor would call on aliens for his defense. Small, cautious amounts of trading with xeno's (whose money is just as good as anybody else's) like what started the Taros campaign is one thing, but actually paying savage, carnivorous, alien bird-lizard-things is quite another. Anti-alien indoctrination in the Imperium is so strong most citizens, especially those who were allowed to rise to a position of power, would firmly believe they are "better dead than alien."
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2008, 11:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

KROOT IS BOTH PLURAL AND SINGULAR GOD DAMMIT!

Sorry, its "Kroots, Eldars and Sheeps" that really irritates me!
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2008, 21:42   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightperson
Since they have the same size base, you could say that the kroot "count as" regular guardsmen. If you want them to actually be kroot, I don't think the fluff would allow it. The kroot would have no problem working for the Imperium, since they'll work for anybody who pays them well enough, but that's the only part that works. Tau are unlikely to follow Daemons, both because of the absolute control the Ethereals have over them and because they are almost immune to the warp, therefore almost immune to the corruption of Chaos. Also, the Imperium is so xenophobic that I don't think even a desperate governor would call on aliens for his defense. Small, cautious amounts of trading with xeno's (whose money is just as good as anybody else's) like what started the Taros campaign is one thing, but actually paying savage, carnivorous, alien bird-lizard-things is quite another. Anti-alien indoctrination in the Imperium is so strong most citizens, especially those who were allowed to rise to a position of power, would firmly believe they are "better dead than alien."
Lets see if I can answer a few of these questions:

1. Who would suspect the Daemons using the Tau as an invasion force? You didn't and that would most likely be true for the Imperium as a whole. Which is why my Inquisitor Lord's requests for more troops were denied/left unanswered. Why mobalize an army for what is most likely a fanciful dream?

2. Well I counter the 'better dead than alien' argument by saying my Inquisitor is a Radical, willing to summon bound daemons to do his bidding. It isn't that far of a stretch to believe he would pay a legion of Kroot to counter the perceived threat of the Daemonic invasion. My guy is far from a puritan, he's borderline, if not a full, heretic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Serious?
KROOT IS BOTH PLURAL AND SINGULAR GOD DAMMIT!

Sorry, its "Kroots, Eldars and Sheeps" that really irritates me!
Sorry, it was late and Iput an 's' there by mistake. However, I would remind you that once 'fishes' was not a valid word and not it is. Its not entirely impossible that Kroots could become a bonified word :P
Elemental_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2008, 21:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like the ideal. For it will be a unique and intersting thing to see. You should model one and show us a pic. If you just use a helmet, canteen, and lasgun in the conversion than I would say no. Remember that these guys armour value at best is a 6. To me you have to find a way to model in that +4 or +5 save. You might have to use some eldar models. the kroot torsos and the guard torsos if I remember correctly is to different. The kroot is tall and thin, while the guard is short and squat.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 22:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm thinking added shoulder pads and plates would fit the bill. As well as war gear and grenades.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2008, 23:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

if you could do helmets that would be cool. As long as the model look imperial with symbols and all I don't think people would have a problem. Also you using the guardsmen stats right. If not then you would have problems. I would also faq gw and see what they say about rouge trader. Other than that if you explain what you doing most tournament organizers shouldn't have a problem.
Old 16 Sep 2008, 00:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

dude just use kroot as kroot mercs :P

would it be so out of line of a radical daemonhunter to hire mercs?
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2008, 01:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

they can't due to new faq. Only allies is inducted armies or witch hunters.
Old 16 Sep 2008, 01:50   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

you telling me they updated everyones faq? bastards.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote