Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Your Thoughts On Games Day UK
Old 15 Sep 2008, 08:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Your Thoughts On Games Day UK

Well it was my 1st time going and I had a very nice day. I managed to fight my way though the Forge world crowd to get what I wanted which I have to say was utter chaos.

I loved some of the gaming tables and the level of detail blew me away.

The new Realms of Battle gaming boards look amazing. You get 6 2' x 2' molded boards which interlock different ways to produce a 6' x 4' gaming table. Ranging from 100 for the basic one to 234 for the one with stacks of warhammer 40k buildings.

I thought the Life Size Rhino was rather good although in my view it should have been allot bigger. For anyone who saw it I think you would have to agree it would be a tight squeeze getting 10 9' super humans in marine armour in their don't you think ?

The new Marine codex sold out within 40 Min's of opening so I missed out there as I was up to my elbows at forge world but I did get a thunder fire cannon.

This year Games Workshop had an extra room and I have to say it was not used to its full advantage. There was lots and lots of very large empty spaces and I didnt understand why the 40k, Fantasy and LOTR sales tables had to be all in together in one ring when there was plenty of room to have 3 separate stands.

The games that were laid on looked great especially the baneblade battle table. The amount of WAAGGGHHHHHS and FOR THE EMPORER shouts coming from there was amazing.

Not so sure about all the people who dressed up to be honest. The kids sure why not, all kids like to dress up. However there where far to many adults dressed up in costumes who took themselves far to seriously for my liking. Although I have to admit some were very good, I just don't get it. For example the guy dressed up as an Inquisitor with the working bionic eye. He just looked like a bit of a wally. I didn't see him smile once when in there he just walked around all day in character and I had to laugh when the security team took his MDF mock up chain sword from him. I mean this guy must have been late teens - early 20's and he just made a complete berk of himself. Also who the hell in their right mind would where a gas mask all day ? and the guy in the card board marine armour just looked like he was homeless. I think our hobby has enough bad stigma attached to it about geekier / nerdiness that these adults who dress up don't help our cause. I am just a normal guy who loves his hobby. We are not all nerds / geeks.

Rant over lol

I also think the amenity's and services were very poor and not up to the usual NEC standard I am used to. I go to the NEC Bike show on an annual basis and to be honest the services that are laid on for that blow what we had this year at gamesday away.

The bike show I know is bigger but it does use the same rooms too. So where was the bar at Gamesday. There wasn't one not for us non v.i.p.s. anyway. I mean I don't want to get pissed but I am 33 years old and like to enjoy a pint or two at any large venue. The toilets were not well maintained and the food stands that were open had massive queues all day. I mean come on open all the food stands up there were more closed than open. Again I am comparing it to other venues I have been to held at the NEC and as far as the services went this was the worst of the lot.

The Gameswork shop staff were however amazing. I came from Torquay so I picked the shop Manager up at 3:15am to go get the shop coach. We left the shop at 5am and got back at 9pm. I had a day where I could wander around and sit down when I liked etc. The Shop Manager and his staff had a day where they got up at stupid o'clock worked all day and kept smiling all the way.

A massive thank you to all the staff. You did a great job and kept smiling the whole day. Especially the Forge world counter staff my hat goes off to you. Why o why did they give the forge world staff only 5 debit/credit card readers. the guys running that stand worked their backsides of.

I do however think a proper queuing system would have eased the chaos on all the stands instead of the free for all that took place.

So over all I had a good day but not a great one. No Beer = a grumpy man

I have been as I said to many other venues that where held at the NEC that were run so much better on the services side. However the Games Workshop staff did a fantastic job and my hat goes off to each and everyone of them.

Cheers

Joey
The iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you?re a god or a total bastard. The iron will always kick you the real deal. The iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But, two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.
Joey Goldcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2008, 09:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Your Thoughts On Games Day UK

i loved the day personally.

i entered the building, ran straight to the 40k stands, wrestled my way to the front of the queue and was told that all 250 (!! :'( FOOLS :'( !!) of the marine codecies they had brought with them were already sold. feeling slightly grumpy i decided to sulk over to the golden daemon entries and bask in the glory of painting i wish i could emulate. i got to the dawn of war 2 trailer however and stopped still

by the time i'd watched it play through 3 times i decided to make a better use of my time () and was in a much better mood. i haddnt seen that trailer before (cant get videos on this computer :) and i was blown away.

i liked the golden daemon more last year, but only becuase there were a few more "funny and/or cool" entries (such as the propaganda photo piece, or the captain shrike upercutting a tyranid warrior) but the entries this year were still astounding.

last year i picked out my favourite models and none of them won anything :'(. this year however, i only picked 2 models (the Ogre Tyrant and bodyguard, and the inquisitor scale logan grimar) and they both won silvers
(i wish to personally stab the guy/girl who modelled and painted logan grimar, that much skill should not exist in this world :shifty

i too was dissapointed by the rhino. i may have a bad back, but i rekon i would have struggled to get in that thing. let alone a 9' tall superhuman and 9 of his mates (plus the drivers). it was an impressive effort though.

my wallet then started urging me to buy something (a rarity for it, it is usually convincing me not to) and i pondered what i wanted......
(i aggreed with my wallet i had about 60 to spend)

1) the marine codex
2) drop pod/s
3) both siege of vraks imperial armours
4) some red scorpions stuff (diddnt mind what really)
5) the thunderfire cannon

i was going to buy the imperial armour books (i used to pride myself on only missing the first one ) but i was handed a sheet of paper with all the new forgeworld stuff on it and i saw the red scorpion vanguards and dreadnought...... 50ish they came too so with 10 left to spend i got myself a subway for lunch :funny:
(though when i got home i found that there were only 4 red scorpion shoulder pads in the red scorpion set, i will ask forgeworld this morning if that is how they are supposed to come)

i did see *tries to remember the name*................. guy in bright, multi-coloured coat :P (i'll edit the name when i remember), but i was acting as a guardian for a few kids and they had gotten a bit lost so i diddnt have time to stop for a chat.... i felt like a moron for not being able to find you after that, i guess you took off the coat

if anyone was hovering around the gaming tables from 1330ish, you would have seen me and my blood angels . i only had 2 games but they were both pretty fun (the second was against a young lad who haddnt played 40k before, using a GT army stupidly has never been so much fun for me. let alone how much he seemed to enjoy the game )

to all of those members who got the marine book - I HATE YOU ALL!! (kidding )

just like the kid i was acting as a guardian for, not only got a marine book..... he got it signed by ALL the design team that were there as well :

i think next year i will have a slightly more definative plan for what i want to do. i must have spent over 2 hours just wandering wide eyed
Old 15 Sep 2008, 12:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The red scorpion shoulders should have 5 sets. I also got forge world-ed this morning i found that a left dreadnought power claw i bought was actually a right one .
The iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you?re a god or a total bastard. The iron will always kick you the real deal. The iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But, two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.
Joey Goldcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2008, 12:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Magnifico
i did see *tries to remember the name*................. guy in bright, multi-coloured coat :P (i'll edit the name when i remember), but i was acting as a guardian for a few kids and they had gotten a bit lost so i diddnt have time to stop for a chat.... i felt like a moron for not being able to find you after that, i guess you took off the coat
That'd be me. The coat remained on all day =P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldcoast
Not so sure about all the people who dressed up to be honest. The kids sure why not, all kids like to dress up. However there where far to many adults dressed up in costumes who took themselves far to seriously for my liking. Although I have to admit some were very good, I just don't get it. For example the guy dressed up as an Inquisitor with the working bionic eye. He just looked like a bit of a wally. I didn't see him smile once when in there he just walked around all day in character and I had to laugh when the security team took his MDF mock up chain sword from him. I mean this guy must have been late teens - early 20's and he just made a complete berk of himself. Also who the hell in their right mind would where a gas mask all day ? and the guy in the card board marine armour just looked like he was homeless. I think our hobby has enough bad stigma attached to it about geekier / nerdiness that these adults who dress up don't help our cause. I am just a normal guy who loves his hobby. We are not all nerds/geeks.
If people want to dress up they're more than welcome to but FOR GOD'S SAKE DO IT WELL. The bloke in the cardboard armour looked absolutely retarded. There was a woman as an Inquisitor as well as quite a few Commissars and a few Death Korps - fair enough if you don't want to wear a gas mask all day but some people have the constitution to do it so more power to them! The guy in the bionic eye I thought was very cool. It's all a bit of silliness - it was a convention! I don't expect he goes around all his life like that, but for one day I think it's damn cool that he made the effort.

Of course, I would say this :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldcoast
I thought the Life Size Rhino was rather good although in my view it should have been allot bigger. For anyone who saw it I think you would have to agree it would be a tight squeeze getting 10 9' super humans in marine armour in their don't you think ?
It felt like it was life size assuming that a Space Marine is only as big as a normal human. Which we know is not the case =P

Quote:
This year Games Workshop had an extra room and I have to say it was not used to its full advantage. There was lots and lots of very large empty spaces and I didnt understand why the 40k, Fantasy and LOTR sales tables had to be all in together in one ring when there was plenty of room to have 3 separate stands.
That's a very good point. However, that was the only room where it was the case. The rest was packed.

Quote:
The games that were laid on looked great especially the baneblade battle table. The amount of WAAGGGHHHHHS and FOR THE EMPORER shouts coming from there was amazing.
To be honest... no. There were so many games that were so much better than the Baneblade table. The microphone bloke had such an annoying voice that was pelted out to the whole room, and what the Y'xauk was with calling the other two guys (and him) Gunner, Navigator and Sergeant? Back to the costumes - if they were wearing costumes then that would be fair enough and exceedingly cool, but they were just guys! Well, one had a pair of goggles on... hardly a costume. It just made them look stupid to me. When you compare it with the table with the light up Warlord, or the Ork battleship, or the Ork racing table... it just looks poorly organised. The rules were absolutely retarded too. And their attempt at getting the whole room to "WAAAGH!", while an awesome idea, was stupidly poorly executed.

Quote:
I mean come on open all the food stands up there were more closed than open.
Yes, this was silly.

Quote:
A massive thank you to all the staff. You did a great job and kept smiling the whole day. Especially the Forge world counter staff my hat goes off to you. Why o why did they give the forge world staff only 5 debit/credit card readers. the guys running that stand worked their backsides of.
Perhaps they were very busy, but as soon as a lull approached the decided to use the time to pick their nose and ignore customers.

Allow me to illustrate with an example.

Yesterday, I was going to buy a Reaver. Yes, a Reaver titan. From the Forge World stand. I waited for the queue to go down over the day because I was hot enough without going in a mosh pit minus all the fun. So when I got there it was three people deep, at worst. So I got into the queue (with Tim, in fact) and after a couple of minutes we reached the front. He was planning on buying an Avatar, and like I said I was going to buy a Reaver. There wasn't that much going on - yes, the desk had customers at it all along its length but when the staff were just pausing and having a chat they can't have all wanted service. So I stood for about twenty minutes, trying to get some attention, trying to catch eyes or saying "excuse me", and at one point two Forge World chaps stopped at about 2 o clock from my position, a couple of metres away and one said to the other "You know what, I'd love for someone to buy a Reaver Titan. I've not sold one yet, I really want to."

So I said (and plenty loud enough) "Funny you should say that, because actually-"

And he wandered off to pick his nose. I'm not happy with Forge World.

I turned to Tim and said "You know what? We've been here like... twenty minutes. If they don't want our money then they don't deserve it." And we left and I can't remember if we went to eat or went back to Rafe, it was one of the two =P

Quote:
So over all I had a good day but not a great one. No Beer = a grumpy man
You need beer to have a great day? That's not good...
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2008, 12:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Magnifico
That'd be me. The coat remained on all day =P [...]
i know i dont wear my glasses, but i diddnt think i was THAT blind ;D

i saw you and a couple of guys chatting near the giant space marine thingy (you may have noticed a moron with his apocolypse bag on who ket staring at you as he went to the gaming tables )
Old 15 Sep 2008, 13:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
you may have noticed a moron with his apocolypse bag on who ket staring at you as he went to the gaming tables
With coats like that, im sure there were plenty of people who kept staring at the harle' duo.

All this sounds so great :-\ Really shuda brought a ticket.. and worked harder at passing my driving test in time to moozey on up there

Quote:
You need beer to have a great day? That's not good...
Or larger, I find larger works just fine too ^-^

With all the Hype here, and on the 'Elle picture thread' (which was most amusing, not only because Elle talks in the third person throughout ) Im convinced, I will deffo be driving up next year.
Three cheers for GW
Thantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2008, 14:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Had a good time too.

First away to the salestand and according to friends i stood there for an hour.... of course the new Khorne termi lord from FW was sold out but got the khornate conversion kit for termis and a khorne symbols brass sprue. Bought a FW WE dread too, missing one arm though, since the left arm was sold out.

Next to the GW stands didn't got any time to think so i got the new drop pod, vanguard veteran squad and a devastator squad which wasn't necessary but got some money left on my budget.

Went around saw the models, saw previews for the new computer games. Stood 3 min in the line for WAR, entered the conversion contest for the last 20 min done a renegade looking space marine, and then rushed to the prize award.
krizztheberzerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2008, 15:50   #8 (permalink)
RcR
Kroot Shaper

The rhino was "life size" according to wh40k where a tau firewarrior is just as tall as a space marine on the tabletop.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 16:11   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to PoisonRose

Its things like this that make me sad that I live in the US. Seriously I envy you guys being able to go T.T
Old 15 Sep 2008, 16:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I really enjoyed myself this year. Despite it being my 13th (consecutive) Games Day, it always seems to get better and better. Then again, it might have been because I was running a table (19 - Gobbos vs. Gobbos vs. Gobbos vs. Gobbos) like I did last year. You might have seen me wearing a Gobbo mask, a picture of which will likely get uploaded some time soon...

Edit: Here it is

I managed to pick up loads of the new goodies, including the new Marine Codex, a Drop Pod, Zhufor (the new Forge World Khorne Terminator Lord), Imperial Armour Six: The Siege of Vraks part two, Imperial Armour Masterclass volume one, the Reaver Princeps, and 2 of the Hades Breaching Drills (gorgeous models). Like Krizz, I tried getting a FW WE Dread but the left arm wasn't in stock at all (since I was one of the first customers there) - luckily I've got loads of the old metal ones I can convert up. An amusing aside is that I couldn't get my pre-ordered Aeronautica Imperialis Tau Barracudas as, apparently, the moulds have EXPLODED! They're being rebuilt but aren't finished yet.

I really enjoyed the gameplay video of the 'Nids in DOW2 and the FMV of the new Blood Bowl video game (though I didn't get the chance to play it). The Rhino, despite stinking of paint, was awesome. Scale-shmale; it was AWESOME!

I can't wait for next year; hopefully I can convince my LGC to built something bigger and better for our table ;D

Edit: Posted my photos here.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote