Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Combat resolution: Broken?
Old 02 Sep 2008, 20:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Combat resolution: Broken?

So, if you are in a multiple combat, and one side wins by any margin, regardless of being outnumbered, the other parties must all make the leadership test by the total number of wounds lost. It's even worse for fearless units, as ALL fearless units must each take wounds equal to the margin of loss.

This means, and I can smell the cheese from here, that you must never put a plentiful unit with poor armor saves near an elite or HQ unit. Otherwise, someone on the charge can base both units, clean up against the weak one, and force large leadership penalties against the strong one. This will also be a way to get free wounds on units with a very high WS or toughness that happen to be fearless, and would otherwise require you to roll high numbers to hit, wound, or both.

In longer form, unless there's any allowance for numbers in the book, you could win combat by 4 wounds total, then force EACH unit you are in melee with to take a leadership test at -4, or 4 wounds. If you based 3 fearless units, that's 12 free wounds.

Broken.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2008, 21:47   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Combat resolution: Broken?

Whoa, are you serious?! Is this really how this works now?! combat resolution has been killing me! This really makes me not want to get multiple units in hth with elite ones. My Tyrant might start taking wounds because my opponent directs all his attacks at basic gaunts! Crap!

OTOH does this mean that if my Hormagaunts charge a squad of space marines and contact a squad of terminators and they direct their attacks against the marines and win do the terminators take wounds too? I guess ALL the wounds from each participating unit count towards combat res, though, right? Lame. That just means I lose even more gaunts against any sane player.

5th ed has had me suffering with my poor gaunts.
Lord Alliben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2008, 21:56   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

This is the way it works in fantasy, or was when I was playing. And yes, it means you have to be very careful putting a weak numerous unit next to an expensive Elite or HQ unit.

High toughness units are a little safer from this against units with S3 or lower. No Retreat! only kicks in when there is at least one model in the unit that could actually hurt it.

It just means you need to have enough Gaunts in there to actually win combat. It is no longer so easy to simply bog down the enemy.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2008, 22:39   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

I LOVE it.

Why?

It means that my small, elite unit, that is worth the same ammount of points as your large ork mob, or gaunt swarm, when it kills more, has a better change to win the combat.

Expecially where units like Sisters and Gaurd are concerned, that Terminator Unit charging/being charged by your Conscripts/Sisters wont take 10 turns to win.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2008, 23:01   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi
I LOVE it.

Why?

It means that my small, elite unit, that is worth the same ammount of points as your large ork mob, or gaunt swarm, when it kills more, has a better change to win the combat.

Expecially where units like Sisters and Gaurd are concerned, that Terminator Unit charging/being charged by your Conscripts/Sisters wont take 10 turns to win.
Exactly. But now that small elite unit that costs the SAME amount of points now not only has a MASSIVE advantage in shooting against my units but also has a MASSIVE advantage in hand to hand as well. For the same points I don't see this as fair at all. You win on BOTH grounds for the SAME points. Those gaunt broods need an advantage from their numbers in hth to balance out how horribly they get massacred from shooting. It's just another way 5th ed benefits marines. Unless I'm missing something here. Do I still have some way to win other than my rolls being ridiculously good and my opponent's being ridiculously awful?
Lord Alliben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2008, 23:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

It screws multiple combats in a bad way...my Ctan took four wounds from combat resolution the other day, despite pwning the termie squad. The terminators just happened to inflict enough wounds on the scarabs to get a great combat resolution, they didn't actually do jack to the Ctan.

It makes absolutely no sense why the Ctan would die from, or even care about scarabs being slaughtered around him....if they weren't there, it woulda been a pure slaughterfest.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2008, 23:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

That does not seem good. Yet it makes fearless units actually have a drawback that is huge now. I mean they have to be shot down to the last man. It is better than never being able to pass a leadership test. i have not passed one in forever.
Old 02 Sep 2008, 23:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Im quite ok with the drawback, save for the part how the more units you have in combat, the more casualties you take. In many cases, I end up with more guys standing at the end by charging in only one unit instead of, say, three. That's pretty counterintuitive.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Old 02 Sep 2008, 23:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

40 zombies are charged by 5 termies, I lose 5 zombies, he loses a termie I out number him almost 8:1 and yet I lose combat??? and then 2 more zombies! Broken? yes.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2008, 23:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Lets just say that kroot lists are officially dead now. I mean...you don't normally win combat, you win by having cheapass models by the buckload, and the ability to eventually swamp your opponent in a tarpit until the eviscerator kills them all.

Now, you lose the first round, and with your already questionable Ld, any modifier hoses you badly. gbye.