Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Your opinion on Mech armies?
Old 31 Aug 2008, 21:01   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Mole
Default Your opinion on Mech armies?

So me and a friend of mine were having a discussion.

He claims that mechanized armies are generally boring, and that everything else has more variety of unit choice, and so forth, I don't feel the same way, I play speed freaks (and will be planning a mech chaos marine army soon) and I am interested in your opinions

Sorry if this isn't the right place to put it or something.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 21:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Your opinion on Mech armies?

Personally, I prefer mech armies, as the cost of transports reduces the overall size of your army, making for a greater challange in game play.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2008, 21:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Very viable in 5th Ed, most of the time. Most transports are fairly easy to pop, so are nice and juicy in KP missions.

However, in objective holding missions, they shine. Their ability to transport anything, and their speed lends itself well to early/late objective grabbing. They can even than be used as a moving wall to block the enemy advance!

http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk1
RonanB1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2008, 22:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
However, in objective holding missions, they shine. Their ability to transport anything, and their speed lends itself well to early/late objective grabbing. They can even than be used as a moving wall to block the enemy advance!
However the chances of winning are lowered. I have both combinations of army styles with almost all of my armies. If you see someone use the mobile wall technique, you simply blow up the wall quickly and then you deny them of mobility. I have seen more draws because of a vehicle trying to secure an objective.

IMHO opinion the best of the Mech Armies are (because of 5th ed mechanics): Space Marines, Eldar, and then Dark Eldar.

The reason I have chosen Space Marines are that they have a wonderful combination of vehicles of various point costs. The standard Rhino is 35 points (for DA as an example and probably the rest of the Space Marines in the near future). Then you have the Land Raider at the other extreme.

My space wolves have been mechanized since 3rd ED and they only have gotten stronger.

Eldar are a close second with the Wave Serpent, Which I always believed that they were the best vehicle in the game and 5th ed made it even Stronger.

However the point costs can be rather high and secondly Eldar Jet bikes can do a better job in securing an objective, since they are a scoring unit.

Dark Eldar vehicles became more durable because of the +4 cover saves, however if you take the " I'm going to shoot you to hell concept, such as orks IG and nids, the raiders (and to the lesser extent ravengers) are going to go down.

It really comes down to game mechanics.

Are you a vehicle heavy army, not a vehicle army, or a combination of the two.

Then you have to add the skill level of the player and years of practice of using vehicles in your army.

I have had both success and failure with using mechanize armies.

And had fun in the process.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 23:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Mech are fun...as for diversity, that depends entirely upon the army. For example, mech tau armies all tend to look quite similar. Mech SM has a lot more variety. With the 5th ed changes, mech lists have improved overall, and some things, such as marine vindicators benefit greatly from the changes.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2008, 23:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
Mech are fun...as for diversity, that depends entirely upon the army. For example, mech tau armies all tend to look quite similar. Mech SM has a lot more variety. With the 5th ed changes, mech lists have improved overall, and some things, such as marine vindicators benefit greatly from the changes.
I agree whole heatedly. Mech armies are vastly different depending on the individual army. I am not a fan of Mech Tau.. they are boring IMHO. However... Speed Freeks rule!

Hail Olianus Pious! Patron Saint of the Imperial Guard! Savior of the Emperor!
Trillian_1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2008, 23:24   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

I LOVE Mechanized armies, they are the epitome(in my opinion) of game play.

The look on your opponents face when you place a bunch of transports down on the ground is always priceless!
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Sep 2008, 00:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian
I agree whole heatedly. Mech armies are vastly different depending on the individual army. I am not a fan of Mech Tau.. they are boring IMHO. However... Speed Freeks rule!

Mech Tau, boring ??? I think not! just try shock and awe, that'll keep you on your feet. Though I do agree speed freaks are pretty neat .
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Sep 2008, 02:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi

The look on your opponents face when you place a bunch of transports down on the ground is always priceless!
With my ten monsterous creatures, plus more tank killing goodness, that look would be glee. =)

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Sep 2008, 03:05   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi

With my ten monsterous creatures, plus more tank killing goodness, that look would be glee. =)
Yeah, but that's cheese
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote