Space Marines (Space Wolves) 16 4.79%
Tau Empire 20 5.99%
Tyranids 6 1.80%
Witch Hunters 28 8.38%
a new codex (explain in your post) 10 2.99%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26 Aug 2008, 08:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Which codex(s) should be updated.....

first a quick background....

i routinely head into my local GW with these polls i post up and often email them to GW themselves (to give them a view on how their customers want thier products).

to that end, which book/s do you think best deserve an update and if more than one, in which order (i have allowed for 3 votes).

please post a reason before voting in the poll. it can be anything from "blood angels because they dont even have a proper book" to "dark eldar becuase they are 2 editions behind".

i would like to see better reasons as well mind :P

i will start procedings by posting my views here:

i. Daemonhunters
the daemonhunter book has always been a tough one to master. they have the capacity to do well, but really struggle against certain lists. Unfortunately, they struggle against daemons.

their most powerful character, the grand master, used to be able (with some tooling up) to go toe-to-toe with a bloodthirster and come out on top. now i really cannot see him doing that (which is quite unfluffy in my opinion).

the daemonhunters have an immunity to minor powers and any psychic powers targetted at them they have essentially a psychic hood to stop. unfortunately, there are no psychic powers in the daemon codex (despite them using "pure warp energies" or whatnot to attack with)

ii.New codex

i would love to see a combined inquisition force codex. there are certainly characters that can be chosen (eisenhorn would make a cool character in 40k, artemis could be a deathwatch commander and you already have characters for the hereticus and malleus). it would allow you to field a force of the best the imperium can provide, but as with the current daemon hunter book, it would come with a massive price tag.

iii. chaos space marines
as much as i think the new chaos book is cool and competetive.......

the previous book was better. units/lists needed to be toned down, not removed.

i have heard that there is going to be a seperate book for each leigon (at least the 4 cult armies anyway - emperors children, thousand sons, world eaters and death guard).

the only reason i want a new book is becuase i think that chaos players deserve better than they got.

anyway, post your thoughts
Old 26 Aug 2008, 09:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Which codex(s) should be updated.....

Dark eldar: two editions behind.
IG: because they suck atm.
witch hunters: dunno just needed a third and they are 3rd ed I think.

are space elfs. Of course their boots never get dirty, their stuff won't get dirty, their weapons won't get dirty, their hair won't get dirty, the aspect warriors won't get dirty, and their women won't get dirty - which is also why they are a dying race. ^-^
Farseer_Del: It was some idiot wandering in and mashing his face into the keyboard by the look of it
()__()
( x x)

dead bunny
shas ek denekai eart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2008, 10:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper King
Dark eldar: two editions behind.
IG: because they suck atm.
[...]
dark eldar, fair enough.

i'll need you to elaborate on the guard "sucking" though, i think they're ok atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper King
[...]
witch hunters: dunno just needed a third and they are 3rd ed I think.
you dont HAVE to put 3 choices, i just left it open in case you wanted to
Old 26 Aug 2008, 10:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Ugh, there's a thread just like this on Warseer, too.

I'll say what I did there, anyone who says CSM should be updated again needs a reality check. It doesn't matter if their update was "good enough", they got one, and it's going to be around for a while. They have an awesome model range and they're still competitive, they have it better than most and their unappreciative fans are still asking for more.

Just for the record, I agree, I think Chaos really got the shaft and GW screwed that book up horribly. They didn't just aim to balance it, they tore it to shreds and left no flavor behind. It's even worse seeing the Space Marine rumors and how they've apparently had yet another change in policy. I'd like to see another book done right, too. But anyone bold enough to state that the CSM codex should take precedence over the likes of Dark Eldar, Imperial Guard, Necrons, Space Wolves, or DH/WH is a damn fool.

Anyway, now that that's out of the way:

Dark Eldar: Because they're freaking two editions behind. They have no background to speak of, their model range was sub-par even during the time it was made and really shows it's age now, and I don't think any reasonable person can say that GW doesn't owe them something after about 10 years with no support whatsoever.

Imperial Guard: They're also two editions behind IIRC.

Necrons: They just need more attention, their list is a bit boring and a lot of armies look the same.

After that I'd say a real book for Blood Angels, DH/WH, and get everyone else updated for 5th edition.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2008, 10:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Well....

Dark Eldar, they are 2 editions behind afterall...

IG, Whilst they are still competitive they need bringing up to date. Possibly the addition of some new units, the subtraction of some useless units and the re-advised doctrines.

Necrons, 5th Ed has made the necrons ALOT less competitive.
Old 26 Aug 2008, 10:21   #6 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

Pretty much the same for me...

Daemonhunters - Because they've got the potential to be really cool (especially with the new Daemon codex), but most of the options are outdated, units are overpriced etc. I'd like to see new anti-Daemon gear brought in (that's useful and fun), as well as improved Radical options (instead of Daemonhost or Grey Knights). If they are brought up to the new gaming level, I'd be so happy.
P.S. I'm not sure how Witch hunters fare at the moment, but this leads me to my next choice.

New Codex - Inquisition
Inquisition - If the individual Inqusition codexes weren't updated, I'd hope they'd be thrown into a combined book, along with options for the Ordo Xenos (my favourite branch). Basically like Vash said. Eisenhorn would be awesome (best choice overall for a special character IMO), along with new weapons/flavours. I'd just like some distinction between the 3 branches...

Dark Eldar - Obviously they need to be updated. Although not a fan of Dark Eldar (I don't like their depravity, constant torturing etc. that makes them seem shallow and evil (in a sick way)), I recognise their part in the 40k universe, and as such believe they should be given the same opportunities as other armies. Admittedly I do like some of the models/concepts... (Raiders, Warp Beasts)

Seeing as how the 2 Inquisition options are just different means to the same end (making Inquisition competitive), I'd really have to put somone like Necrons as my 4th (though really 3rd) choice. I just think Necrons are a little bland and need some diversity (particularly in fluff!), as I seem to recall that most tournament armies are limitted to a couple of styles.
So if anyone has a spare vote handy, throw one into the 'Crons for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2008, 10:27   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Carson

Dark Eldar, have SO much potential for great fluff and minis. Just need some lovin'

Daemonhunters/Witch Hunters. I love these armies so much. So much character. Would love to see some great plastic minis and either seperate or unified rulebook. If it is a Codex: Inquisition thing, I would like it to be in a way that you can field pure Witch or Daemonhunter armies. Again, can't stress how much a plastic range would be appreciated, the metal ones are too expensive! DH also need to be brought up to speed to be effective against Chaos Daemon armies.

I know for a fact that if Dark Eldar get an update, so many people will take them up. I feel GW is cheating themselves of a massive seller if they keep delaying the update. Though part of me knows they're going to do a really great job when it comes time to update.
Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2008, 11:23   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to weston_2k7

I'm thinking that the necrons list is a bit barren and yeah it doesn't look as good as the others i don't think

also i think a new codex for the renegade armies to field traitor guard and chaos armies together in a normal non-apoc game and yeah i agree maybe a joint inquisition but i think that guard might be behind but they are a formidable army when put together right and they have plenty of options so its fine and i was really a bit annoyed at space marines getting another update even though they're list is fine and stuff but its just up to the powers that be i suppose

btw i have edited this so apologies to those that struggled to read my awful grammar before and thanks to sniper king forpointing that out (i didn't realise quite how bad it was) and its nice to meet you too ta
weston_2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2008, 11:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Welcome to the forums weston_2k7 I'm glad that I got to greet you first.

I sugest you read the forum rules or you will be shot down in flames for your spelling and grammar.

I've already posted here so bye.

are space elfs. Of course their boots never get dirty, their stuff won't get dirty, their weapons won't get dirty, their hair won't get dirty, the aspect warriors won't get dirty, and their women won't get dirty - which is also why they are a dying race. ^-^
Farseer_Del: It was some idiot wandering in and mashing his face into the keyboard by the look of it
()__()
( x x)

dead bunny
shas ek denekai eart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2008, 12:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I voted for Dark Eldar as I believe they have gotten the shaft a bit by not getting a codex update for two editions.

But what I would really like to see is a change in philosophy at GW. I would like to see the codex's treated as the "base" for playing their army type. I'll use CSM as an example. Everyone has complained about the way the Legions were treated in the codex and rightfully so. What I believe should have happened was a CSM codex revolving around generic renegade space marines, be they warbands made up of traitors from disparate legions or entire Chapters recently turned to Chaos. So that, we the players, could easily design and write our own fluff and armies.

With a note at the end of the codex that the Legions and Daemon allies would be in follow-up codexes (I would just make them a few pages, downloaded for free from GW). Then GW would issue a couple of pages of minor rules changes and maybe a unit or special character or two for each of the Legions and then a page or two in the Daemon Codex concerning what is available and points cost for CSM armies to use.

This principle could then be applied to all future codexes. Think of a new Eldar codex with downloaded rules for the craftworlds, or an IG codex with downloaded rules for "known" IG worlds like Krieg or Catachan, or a Necron codex with downloaded rules changes for known tomb worlds.

What do you guys think?
dave_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote