Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Skimmers Shooting Over Line-of-Sight Blocking Terrain?
Old 22 Aug 2008, 21:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Skimmers Shooting Over Line-of-Sight Blocking Terrain?

Hello.

I recently played a battle against my father who was playing Eldar and fielding a Fire Prism. He decided to place his Prism behind a block of woods which blocked line of sight from me to him but he claimed that the skimmer could shoot over the terrain because it came back down to land (after hovering) at the end of the turn.

I found this rather unfair and so did my Tyranid Warriors and we checked the rules. They state that the skimmer comes down to land at the end of it's move.

I am arguing that once the skimmer has finished moving (in the movement phase) it comes back down to land and is not hovering (thus giving it line of sight over the terrain) during the shooting phase because of the italicized quote above. It seems to me as though once the skimmer has finished moving it cannot then hover in the air and shoot over terrain during the shooting phase.

He is arguing that landing takes place at the end of the turn rather than the end of the shooting phase.

Can anyone clarify this in any way? An FAQ article entry would be best but clarification in any other way would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

-Lord of the Pit
Frosty05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2008, 21:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Skimmers Shooting Over Line-of-Sight Blocking Terrain?

You use true line of sight. If you can see the tank, you can shoot it. Conversely, if the tank can't see you, the tank can't shoot you. Remember that it has to be on a flier base. It should be noted, then, that this will often give the skimmer line of sight to things which other tanks would not see, and vice versa.

However, there is no imaginary 'floating' going on, except during the movement phase.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
O Y Montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2008, 21:44   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The rule clearly states, at the end of it's move, I would take that to mean when it stops moving, which is at the end of the movement phase. (unless skimmers can move during the shooting phase now... :) So it would have landed before shooting. However, I do not know what the 5th ed rules say on skimmers landing and true LOS, I still need to get my own rulebook

(\_/) this is bunny
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination

Hoi, hoi, u embleer hrair
m'saion ule hraka vair
woogmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2008, 04:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Seems I overlooked this rule before but now that it's been brought to my attention, it's fair to say it's fishy and has to be a mistake. I'm sure this game wasn't made to be played like this. 3 Armor Piercing wounds kills only one character? Ludicrous.
ct_drummer_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2008, 05:58   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

As stated, you use the exact position of the vehicle to draw line-of-sight. You can not lift the vehicle to fire over intervening terrain during the shooting phase, and skimmers must be mounted on standard flying bases, or to an equivalent height on scenic bases.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2008, 06:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

I would use common sense in this. If he moves it so it's hovering above the trees, let him shoot. But that means that you can shoot him back as well. He can't move during the assault phase.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote