Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Big Book of GW inspiration
Old 20 Aug 2008, 06:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Big Book of GW inspiration

Well... This thread will serve as a vessel to find all of the references GW make there Characters and armies from. I will lay down a couple now. Please note this can cover characters from any game system (e.g. 40k, Fantasy, Necromuna, Mordheim etc) ((except LotR because thats obvious))

Sly Marbo
Sly Marbo was originally based on Rambo. Marbo is an anagram of Rambo, now who played Rambo and what is his nick name? Yep, Stallone, and his nick name is Sly.

Lion'El Johson
Primarch of the Dark Angels, his name is taken from the Writer of the Poem 'Dark Angel' - Lionel Johnson.
Old 20 Aug 2008, 06:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque
Default Re: Big Book of GW inspiration

For some reason I always think of Lionel Richie when someone mentions Lion El Johnson. Just stuck in my head, a space marine softly singing "Say You, Say Me" and "Stuck on you". Sad, I know...

Horus
Egyptian deity, a hybrid man-falcon god of the sky. Interestingly, he had a big and lenghty battle for supremacy with his brother Set. The Horus we know too had a lenghty battle with a person close to him... Here the likeness with the 40k universe ends, but it's an interesting, if not pretty weird tale. Mythology normally is, and this is no different.
Old 20 Aug 2008, 06:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Azrael Current Supreme Grand Master of the Dark Angels

Archangel of death - Azrael was elevated to the status of Archangel, and given the duty of making sure no souls were misdirected away from Heaven. He and his Servitors would gently separate ghosts and dream-shades from their anchors, retrieve pagan souls from ethereal domains, and prevent the demons from claiming any souls that didn't belong to them.

Azrael was extremely effective at his job. Angels of Death became the bane of pagan gods, and exorcised hundreds of ghosts that had been clinging to the corporeal plane. Azrael instructed his Servitors to also teach humans to accept Death; that it was merely a transition to their next state, and that if they lived their lives well, they had no need to fear it.

But Azrael also began a secret project. He could not accept that those souls damned to Hell must suffer for all eternity for mistakes they'd made in their too-short mortal existences. So the Archangel of Death began ministering to the damned, sneaking into Hell to locate human souls who might be converted to selflessness, and made worthy of Heaven.

Old 20 Aug 2008, 08:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Belial (Master og the Dark Angels Deathwing) - appears in much anglo-pagan pre-christian mythology, often as a god of the earth. other contemporary names include Baal, Bel'l and Beelzebub. regarded in christian mythology as one of Satan's chief lieutenants, the doorwarden of Hell.
I'm the face that you have to face
Mirrored in your stare
I'm what's left, I'm what's right
I'm the enemy
I'm the hand that'll take you down,
Bring you to your knees.
Arnorath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2008, 08:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Flibble
Azrael

Archangel of death - Azrael was elevated to the status of Archangel, and given the duty of making sure no souls were misdirected away from Heaven. He and his Servitors would gently separate ghosts and dream-shades from their anchors, retrieve pagan souls from ethereal domains, and prevent the demons from claiming any souls that didn't belong to them.

Azrael was extremely effective at his job. Angels of Death became the bane of pagan gods, and exorcised hundreds of ghosts that had been clinging to the corporeal plane. Azrael instructed his Servitors to also teach humans to accept Death; that it was merely a transition to their next state, and that if they lived their lives well, they had no need to fear it.

But Azrael also began a secret project. He could not accept that those souls damned to Hell must suffer for all eternity for mistakes they'd made in their too-short mortal existences. So the Archangel of Death began ministering to the damned, sneaking into Hell to locate human souls who might be converted to selflessness, and made worthy of Heaven.
Which is then an immensely appropriate name for what he does in the far future... Hunting down the stray Dark Angels and converting their tainted souls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnorath
Belial - appears in much anglo-pagan pre-christian mythology, often as a god of the earth. other contemporary names include Baal, Bel'l and Beelzebub. regarded in christian mythology as one of Satan's chief lieutenants, the doorwarden of Hell.
Which is then immensely not at all appropriate for what he does in the far future. Ravenwing master = the Devil? Where is the inspiration, GW?

EDIT: would it be much to ask to get a title next to the name? Such as "Master of the Dark Angels"
Old 20 Aug 2008, 14:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

The Void Dragon: Some of the fluff for this C'tan may have been based on an old episode of Dr Who called "Pyramids of Mars". Several similarities exist between the episode and the fluff including robotic constructs, an imprisoned god, a crazed human and as the title would indicate, Martian pyramids.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2008, 15:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

Caliban and Prospero:

The worlds of the Dark angels and Thousand Sons respectivley, Both taken from The Tempest by Shakespeare. Im sure we can sit all day and find similarities between the characters and the legions from those planets...

Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2008, 15:41   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

There was an astounding website, that sadly I have failed to find, which had pages upon pages of this information on every race. Its brilliant, If anyone knows it, it would be ace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2008, 18:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

hmm I imaged Horus being equated to the heaven and hell battle where satan and half the angels battle with god for supremacy. Ultimately ending in defeat.

typhus for instance is in daemonology the lord of pestilence, often seen with insects.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2008, 21:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

Typhus is also a disease...
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote