Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Unlikely allies
Old 19 Aug 2008, 17:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Unlikely allies

By inspiration of a recent tournament, I was wondering was the sharp minds of TO could come up with in this situation.

The tournament involved a pairing of two different armies, but using the same force organization chart. Each had the same amount of points to spend, and a piece of fluff was to be written explaining their partnership.

For example, I had 1250 Pts of Tau working with my friend's 1250 points of Salamander Marines. The idea was that his marines would advance and hold ground with Tau giving long range support. Basically he took most of the troop choices, while I took the heavy support.

The fluff was along the lines of The Salamanders hunting down Orcs from Armageddon in the sector, and Tau wanting to claim the planets. The marines then decided that Tau taking the planets could more easily be removed than an orc infestation, and are less likely to randomly attack Imperium space. The Tau were eager to get any sort of aid for expansion.

Some opposing enemies included brainwashed Imperial Guard fighting under an aggressive Eldar force, a possessed Warboss leading his Orc Boyz into the fray for his Chaos masters, and somehow (I can't recall the fluff) Necrons and Demon hordes killing all that lived.

What sorts of combinations do you think would work BEST. I liked our combination of Marine and Tau, but maybe there are some loopholes in army rules I don't know about that could make for some unstoppable allies.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 17:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Unlikely allies

Dark eldar and Tau is actually quite intersting...I did this once against Imperial guards and space marines.

The Tau(me) added some long range, better skimmer ot the equation whereas my friends Dark Eldar some better CC unit and dark lances.

It was truly a "Don't ask, don't tell" kind of alliance, I would get the land he would get some slaves.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008, 17:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hey that's a good one that would have been nasty to face .
Old 19 Aug 2008, 19:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Easy; a load of Ultra's have fallen to the sway of chaos :P.
MalusHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008, 21:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Nid CC swarm and Tau, but I have no idea how this could happen. Maybe Tau cloned and engineered some 'Nids? Or IG and World Eaters. Something about Chaos corruption.

Both have good CC and, nice tanks, and fair long-range support (100 Lasguns is gonna kill something, right?)
Vyrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2008, 00:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

My all time favorite I use this for apocalypse all the time. Nurgle marines fighting alongside a corupted tau ethral and his force. Combines long ranged heavy firepower (tau) with line holding tough-as-nails marines (plague marines).
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2008, 18:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Yummifoamycoffee

I think an Eldar - Tau alliance is pretty obvious. I wouldn't even know why they should be fighting in the first place. Tau meeting eldar would be like:
"We claim this world in the name of The Greater Good!
Uhm... This is one of our lost Maiden worlds. We come here to worship and stuff. It's our world. We built it.
Then join our Greater Good!
Sure, whatever."
and that's it.
And with a lot of CC eldar units, you can easily fill the Tau weak spot.

Yummifoamycoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2008, 21:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I like to play with my Necrons in large Apoc 'pick up' games we hold at our FLGS, usually playing on the side of Nids, IG, or Orks. Often these are planned as "big X vs Y game this weekend, bring 1500 pts of your favorite army".

The "Fluff" is that the Necrons have a specific objective / target, and when they arrive, my 'allies' realize they are not being shot at by the Necrons, and decide it is a good thing, so best not to antagonize them. When the battle is concluded, the Necrons have either been defeated or completed their objective, and phase out and leave.

With the 5th Ed ret-con to Necron fluff, it fits in better, too.

Ironically, my Necrons are my only non-Apocalypse-ized force (I've got multiple IG super heavies and Tyranid gargantuan creatures...) I think I'll rectify that at Games Day LA this weekend with a Pylon or two.
Old 20 Aug 2008, 21:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan
I think an Eldar - Tau alliance is pretty obvious. I wouldn't even know why they should be fighting in the first place. Tau meeting eldar would be like:
"We claim this world in the name of The Greater Good!
Uhm... This is one of our lost Maiden worlds. We come here to worship and stuff. It's our world. We built it.
Then join our Greater Good!
Sure, whatever."
and that's it.
And with a lot of CC eldar units, you can easily fill the Tau weak spot.
I'm sorry? The conversation would be a lot more like:

"We claim this world in the name of the Greater Good!"
"This is one of our Maiden Worlds. You get to leave now." (if they're lucky)
"But join our Greater Good! It's free, and there's cookies."
"No thank you." Storm of Aspect Warriors/Jetbikes and Falcons/Psychic attacks/Pathfinder shots/Wraithguard*

*Delete as appropriate.

That's how it'd go. What you're proposing is settling a Maiden World. The Eldar do not let that happen.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2008, 21:56   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

heres one i like to use for my IG and my tyranids. Massive genestealer infestation on the planet and then the hive mind now controls an planetary defense force. long range firepower leman russ + monstrous creature support! woohoo! 8)
kinser is offline   Reply With Quote