Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Breaking WYSIWYG
Old 19 Aug 2008, 08:09   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Breaking WYSIWYG

Just how far can you push "What you see is what you get".

Firstly, let me explain that im not on about sticking a guardsmen down on the table and calling it a dreadnaught (in other words no proxying) but justhow far can you go to produce something unique yet still let it be in the confines of the rules.

Is it a case of Looks suitable and explain before the game? Or are there more players than I think out there that stiffle the creativvity of the game?
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008, 08:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default Re: Breaking WYSIWYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILK
Is it a case of Looks suitable and explain before the game?
That's what I say and use myself.
Essentially I ask: Does it look like it could do what they say it does?

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008, 09:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

I generally consider it a case of "will 'counts-as' cover this?" So if I convert a unit of terminators to all have staff based weapons for my Ksons and give one a larger double handed weapon or something could I feasbly count it as a power fist?
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008, 11:49   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

So long as they're significant differences for different weapons. To use Hadhfang's example, I would expect a very ornate and highly decorated staff if it was supposed to represent an autocannon, and it wouldn't be too hard to imagine them using the staffs as focal points to cast powers which have the same effects as the weapons they're using.

Although I find it funny that it is easier to let someone have some psychic trickery then it would be for them to have an autocannon count as a bolter .
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008, 12:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I follow four rules for WYSIWYG mainly.
1) Non upgrade items (for example, Grenades, Bolt Pistol, etc) on models don't count. Giving every Chaos Marine, for example, their full load out would be very cumbersome.

2) Upgrade items must be represented (don't give a model a bolt pistol and call it a plasma pistol) or a good proxy item must be represented (my Autarch model doesn't have Mandiblasters, but she does have Mirror Swords...since the two are similar in their application, I count the model's Mirror Swords as the Character having Mandiblasters).

3) Upgrades on a model that you don't use are just fine. If you want your Ork Warboss to be carrying an Attack Squig or a Bosspole because it looks cool...but you don't want to actually use the upgrade, that's fine.

4) Identify any discrepancies to your opponent before the game begins.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008, 21:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i say its ok if you check with your opponent, and i dont worry about grenades or other small stuff like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2008, 00:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Playing with just my friends we usually model what looks good, then as long as the unit is right IE a squad of firewarriors with pulse rifles modelled on them can be used as a squad of fire warriors with pulse carbines. If a friend or someone I played kicked up a fuss saying hey your xv8 doesn't have a shield generator or pulse rifle on it you can't use them, I wouldn't play them. I mean having everything exactly right takes away the fun of modelling and painting, a lot of people don't have fully painted armies should they be turned away because their army isn't realistic enough? No they should be allowed to try out their army just like you should be able to change your mind if something you glued to your model hasn't worked you should be able to proxy it. I'm not saying it's acceptable to put a coke can on the table and call it a tank or a single marine being used as a dreadnought, the little things like weapons and wargear people shouldn't worry about. In my opinion not knowing what they enemy has got makes it a bit more interesting anyway, sound tactics can go out the window quickly if you stumble onto a unit you thought weak and realize shit he's packing heat! I'd say to people who want to knit pick at the accuracy of models it's just a game relax and have fun there is no need to be a complete rule monger about it especially if you are playing someone younger or more inexperienced.
Old 20 Aug 2008, 02:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I ignore WYSIWYG on small stuff like grenades, and let stuff "count as" if it's explained to me in clear, specific terms. I don't allow surprise counts as gear, and only proxies of the same rough size (i.e. my Falcon counts as a Hammerhead, if that's ok with you.)
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2008, 11:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well on my chaos lord I count the steed of slaanesh as dameonic speed.....and his doom siren as a cmobi-flamer......I point this out right at the start of the game, stating very clearly, and even having hte model in my hand

"this lord has a steed of slaanesh, but I'm counting that as daemonic speed, and his doom siren is actually a combi-flamer, but my other doom sirens look completly different so there is no confuision"

If he/she doesn't like that, then I'll pull out a daemonette on a steed of slaanesh and say that the little tiny daemon counts as a chaos lord with daemon weapon and combi-flamer.........
adreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2008, 12:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

despite the fact they cant have speed anymore... nor a doom siren.