Multiple Unit Choice
Old 13 Aug 2008, 03:17   #1 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Multiple Unit Choice

Quote:
Multiple Unit Choice
...several units in his army at the cost of a single force organization slot (like dedicated transport, etc.)...
So, this what I don't get. An IG's Infantry Platoon have to so reserve rolls for each squad within the Platoon but a Troop with a Dedicated Transport comes in together :-\ Anyone can clear this up for me?
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2008, 03:26   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Multiple Unit Choice

My understanding of the rules is that Guard role for each seperate unit (barring dedicated transports) when it comes time to roll for Reserves. An Armoured Fist squad (which only consists of 10 Guardsmen and a Chimera) would only roll once, whereas an infantry Platoon would roll once for every squad included and once for the command section.

Some other examples would be Tau Pathfinders and their Devilfish = Roll once for the squad and the transport.

It kind of gets confusing when you have undedicated transports like Land Raiders who happen to be transporting another unit inside them. If the LR is transporting a unit of Terminators, then you would roll once for the transport, not seperately (which represents the tank turning up with it's deadly cargo). However, if the LR didn't have a unit inside it, and your intention was to enter play via deepstrike or via the board edge, then you would roll seperately. Although you must declare when rolling for Reserves what your rolling for and if there is anything inside the undedicated transport.
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2008, 11:48   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

since i havent been here for a while plz excuse me if im wrong but it was my belief that IG platoons rolled for reserves collectively. if im wrong could i please be corrected?

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it
every six months.

Teamwork is essential -- it allows you to blame someone else.

--thanks to DRobot
FiremaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2008, 23:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've always thought, and played, that each Force Org box made it own roll. 12 FW and DF made 1 roll, so does a squad of 5 tac marines, and so do the 73 or so troops the IG is allowed in 1 troop box. And in IG, all the 10+ man squads are not individually led, but rather led by the JO. That pretty much makes it 1 big happy unit. As far as i see it anyways.
you should know by now GW likes to do it backwards... "Mr. Tank driver, drive me closer so I can hit it with my sword!"
Hope. This is not a plan. This is not a solution. It is reaction.
Togashi Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2008, 00:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah, that's the way I took it when I read the Codex.
Vyrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2008, 07:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

We always played it byt the squad.

So if you have 4 squads in an IG platoon and they are mechanised, each squad and its own transport roll to come on.

It specifically states in the IG codex that platoon squads are deployed all at once, but are separate units for the purposes of reserves. Don't ask where it is as I have no idea where my codex is right now
Old 16 Aug 2008, 11:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainKiller (JD)

It specifically states in the IG codex that platoon squads are deployed all at once, but are separate units for the purposes of reserves. Don't ask where it is as I have no idea where my codex is right now
This means you could roll 3 or more times for one squad and then deploy them all at once.
But it think that platoons may be scrapped in favour of something easier for beginners (like most special rules)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmon
Phwoar.
manic-swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2008, 18:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

You can't really scrap platoons though. How else are you going to be able to field infantry squads in the numbers you need them?

On the subject of this whole reserves thing, read page 94 of your rulebook. Under Preparing Reserves paragraphs 3 and 4 describe how to solve this whole transport issue. For you lazy people I'll explain it. The default situation is that all units and vehicles (dedicated transport or not) are deployed separately. However, the unit that bought a dedicated transport, as long as it starts inside the transport is brought in on one roll. Furthermore, if you attach an independent character to a squad, they all come in with one roll, and if the squad with an independent character is in a dedicated transport bought for the squad, all 3 of them enter with one roll. In all other situations units are rolled for and deployed separately. This means that a unit cannot be brought in from reserve in a non-dedicated transport. They must be deployed separately and then the unit can embark.

EDIT: Due to codices overriding the rulebook, the Imperial Guard platoon IS in fact a total exception to this rule. See pages 38 and 44 where it states that "Each Platoon counts as a single Troops choice on the Force Organisation chart when deploying, and is rolled for collectively when rolling for reserves."
Old 17 Aug 2008, 10:12   #9 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Who's the slack-jawed moron that said we, Imperial Guard have to roll for each squad?........Never mind, I've remembered :P
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote