Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Campaign rules: request for comments
Old 12 Aug 2008, 18:44   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Campaign rules: request for comments

I am planning a campaign for my gaming club and here are the rules I came up with. Please feel free to comment and/or criticize.

Thanks!

The War for Ogden Prime

The game is a strategic campaign of Warhammer 40K based on a Risk-Like board and rule set. The main map is here: Campaign Map

Each player will try to conquer the most territory and knock out his opponents so as to take control of planet.

Initial Setup:
The setup order is randomly determined. Each player then chooses, in order, the location of his Home Base. This Base must be at least 3 spaces away from an enemy Base. Once the location of the base is chosen, each player places 6 army tokens on his Home Base.

These tokens represent 500 points of Warhammer 40K forces of the player’s army. A territory can contain a maximum of 6 tokens, which represent 3000 points.

Victory Conditions:
You lose the game when your Home Base is wiped out. Any battle that takes places in a Home Base must be played on the City Fight table. You win the game when you are the only player remaining OR you control 31 territories (out of 42).

Play order:
The runs are played in the reverse order in which the Home bases were chosen.

Player Turn:
Each player turn is composed of 5 phases:

1. Income and Upkeep
At the beginning of this phase, the territories you control are calculated. You received 200 Resource Points for your Home Base and 100 RPs for each other territory you control. These RPs are added to your ‘Bank’ from which you may buy Army Tokens or factories.

Continents: if a player controls all the territories of continent (as denoted by their colour), he gain a bonus on his income from the simplification of his defenses. This bonus is the number of territories of the continent times 100 RPs.

After your income is calculated, you must pay the upkeep of your armies. This is the number of Army Token you have times 50Rps (10%). This amount is deducted from your Bank total.

2. Purchase new units
In this phase, you may buy as many Army tokens as you wish, at a price of 500 RPs each. Additionally, you may buy a factory for 1000RPs. The factory will permit you to deploy Army Tokens from a territory other than your home base. Any purchases are deployed in the “Deploy new forces” phase.

3. Movement
In this phase, you may move your Army Token around the map. You may move an Army Token up to two territories if both of these are under your control (called an internal move). Otherwise, you may only move a Token one space. Moving one or more tokens into a territory controlled by another player will take control of that territory. However, if the opposing player has Army Tokens of his own, you provoke a battle. You may only provoke ONE battle per turn. However, you can take control of any number of undefended territories in a turn.

All moves are considered simultaneous. Therefore, you may move 6 tokens INTO a territory as you move 6 tokens out of it.

4. Attack
In this phase, you will conduct the actual battles that may occur due to your movements in the movement phase. The battle must be played at the next club meeting or any other time in between. The referee will decide when to forfeit and in whose favor.

The mission you will play is to be determined by your and your opponent. If you are unable to determine which mission to play, roll for standard missions as per the Rulebook.

EXCEPTION: An attacking player can declare that he is trying to destroy a factory if the target territory contains such an improvement. If so, the factory is represented by a bunker in the defender’s deployment zone. This bunker has 3 structure points. The attacker automatically wins if he manages to destroy it. However, the attacker does not control the territory even if he wins the mission. He retreats back to his starting territory.

Retreat before battle: A defending player may declare that he is not defending the territory at all. If so, the retreating player may move his surviving forces one space away from the territory from which he is retreating. If he cannot reach a territory he controls with this move, his army is destroyed.

Retreat during battle: During a player’s movement phase, a player may declare he is retreating. If he does, victory is calculated as per the victory conditions for the game. If the game is a tie OR if it is a victory for the retreating player, the game ends there and any surviving forces are tallied and rounded UP to the nearest 500 point slice. The retreating player may move his surviving forces one space away from the territory in which the battle took place. If he cannot reach a territory he controls with this move, his army is destroyed.

End of the battle: at the end of a battle, any surviving forces are tallied up and rounded up to the nearest 500 point slice. The defeated player may move his remaining forces one space away from the territory in which the battle took place. If he cannot reach a territory he controls with this move, his army is destroyed. The victorious player takes control of the territory and places his remaining forces in the territory.

5. Deploy new forces
In this phase, you place the new Army Tokens you purchased this turn. You can only place Army Tokens on your Home Base or on a territory that has a factory. Remember, you can only have up to 6 Army Tokens within the same territory. You may not deploy Army Tokens in a territory in which you built a factory this turn.

Army Special Rules
Each race has a special rule associated with it.

Chaos Daemons: The Enemy Within. Daemons are masters at corrupting a organization from within and using the resulting confusion to his advantage. As such, when a Chaos Daemon player declares an attack, he can move one of the enemy's Army Counters in the target territory to another territory controlled by the same player on a 4+. He must try to move it the shortest distance as possible, ignoring any territories controlled by other players.

When the Daemon player declares his combat and his intention to use this power, he must use the online dice roller (Online Dice Roller) to roll the dice and send the result to both himself and the referee. After being informed of the results, the defending player can then declare his intention to retreat or not.

Chaos Space Marines: The Great Deceiver. The Chaos Space Marines are masters of intrigue and corruption and one never knows what is true and what is false. As such, they can “move” their home base at any time. At the end of their turn, they declare in which territory their Home Base is now located.

Daemon Hunters: In the name of the Emperor. The Daemon Hunters fight in the name of the Emperor and with the authority of the Inquisition. As such, they can requisition any imperial forces to do their bidding. The owning player may use any ONE of the special rules of ANY other Imperial army (noted by the * next to their army type). The player must publicly declare at the END of his turn what power he will be using in his next turn. (On the first turn, he has no special power).

Dark Eldar: Slavers. The Dark Eldar use raids to strike terror into the hearts of their enemies. If a Dark Eldar carries out a successful attack and destroys at least one Army Token of the enemy forces, they may add 100 RPs to their Resource Pool.

Eldar: The Webway. The Eldar are masters of the Webway and can move over great distances very quickly. As such, they can always move 2 spaces per turn. However, since they are moving so fast, they can only control the territory in which they finish their move. Also, the first territory through which they traveled may not be ‘attacked’ by any other Eldar forces this turn.

Imperial Guard (*): Trench Warfare. The Imperial Guards are the masters of attrition warfare. As such, they can fortify a territory. For a cost of 50RPs each, the IG player can buy up to three bunkers (10 man squad) for a territory. These bunker stay until destroyed during a battle. The bunkers may be placed anywhere on the table outside the enemy deployment zone. They are placed before any rolls are made for the game (as per scenery).

Necrons: Unliving. This army is composed of living machines and, as such, requires no upkeep.

Orks: Live off the land. The Orks are masters at using everything and anything to make their war machine go. They gain extra 10% revenue from any territory they control OTHER than their home base.

Space Marines (*): Death from above. The Space Marines specialize in planetary assaults. As such, they can deep strike anywhere on the table. The deep striking army must move into orbit in the movement phase. The army will land at the beginning of the owning player’s next turn. This move cannot be made against an enemy home base or adjacent territories and must be made against a defended territory (at the time of the move into orbit). As such, this move is considered the player’s attack for this turn. The target of the attack is revealed only when they land.

Tau: Maneuver Warfare. The Tau are masters of maneuvering warfare and strategic feints. This gives them the ability to shift fronts very quickly. As such, they can move any of their counters to ANY of their territories as long as a path can be traced through controlled territories from start to finish. This counts as that counter's move for that turn. Also, they may deploy new Army Tokens up to 2 spaces away from their Home Base or any of their factories.

Tyranids: The Great Devourer. The Tyranids move across the galaxy, devouring everything in their path. As such, they can “eat” a territory in their movement phase, granting a one time RP bonus of 300 points. From that time on, that territory can no longer provide any RPs to the Tyranid player and only 20 RPs per turn to other players. They cannot use this power on their home base.

Witch Hunters (*): Exterminatus. The Witch Hunters fight with the authority of the Emperor and the fate of worlds is in their hand. As such, the Witch Hunters can declare a territory "Perditus Extremus" and destroy it from orbit. This is declared in the attack phase. From that moment on, the territory no longer generates RPs. Any army in that territory loses a counter on a roll of a 4+. This attack costs 300RPs and can only be made once per turn and only once per territory. Home bases and adjacent territories cannot be targeted.
LordDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2008, 03:42   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Campaign rules: request for comments

Certainly well thought out, and karma duely awarded.

My only real suggestion would be rare or very limited units, like Eldar Avatars (as each Craftworld only has a single one) and named special characters. How about a way to mark their positions as well, so that if a player is using Abaddon, you can see where he is so you can either avoid him, or you know that he's going to be included in the army. I also suppose you could actually use the models themselves to depict the special characters (or generals even!) and have them moving around on the table along with their personal bodyguard...

PS: The link seems to be broken and you have some formatting issues (which I'll fix for you)
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2008, 13:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

A few questions.

Each token is worth 500 points in a game. Those this 500 points have to be a legal Army? (1HQ 2 Troops)

If so then, in a game with 6 tokens you will have to have 6 HQ's and 12 Troops in play. Or are the Armies changable from game to game and only represent the amount of force that can be called apon in a certain area?

2. Does everyone make their moves at once, or does player 1 make all of its moves, and resolves attacks, then player 2 makes his attacks?

I think it would be better if everyone declared where they wish to move at the same time. Player A might want to attack Player B but PLayer B has plans of moving out of that area. You also could have some interesting battles of 3 or more players all fighting over the same area.

Of course still allow players the option of retreating away.

3. I would not have any special powers for the different Armies. Esp any that require roles that you or other players are not present for.

Overall i like the idea, and might take some of the ideas for my own club.
JBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2008, 14:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Great work.
You deserved the karma .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
That may just be helped by massive boobs though, i'm female. I don't know how that shiz works...
arandomshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2008, 16:43   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasta Tuner
Certainly well thought out, and karma duely awarded.

My only real suggestion would be rare or very limited units, like Eldar Avatars (as each Craftworld only has a single one) and named special characters. How about a way to mark their positions as well, so that if a player is using Abaddon, you can see where he is so you can either avoid him, or you know that he's going to be included in the army. I also suppose you could actually use the models themselves to depict the special characters (or generals even!) and have them moving around on the table along with their personal bodyguard...

PS: The link seems to be broken and you have some formatting issues (which I'll fix for you)
Good idea. I had thought about it but it violates one of the campaigns basic assumptions: the Army Counters only represent point values and that the lists themselves are only created when an actual battle takes place. No point in managing what is where when you moves counters all over the place.

However, once this trial run is done, I will see if I can't somehow incorporate a General per player somehow. Maybe give that unit special status or special rules. I'll have to think about this.

The link seem ok now....and thanks for the Karma :-)
Old 13 Aug 2008, 16:53   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBunny
A few questions.

Each token is worth 500 points in a game. Those this 500 points have to be a legal Army? (1HQ 2 Troops)

If so then, in a game with 6 tokens you will have to have 6 HQ's and 12 Troops in play. Or are the Armies changable from game to game and only represent the amount of force that can be called apon in a certain area?

2. Does everyone make their moves at once, or does player 1 make all of its moves, and resolves attacks, then player 2 makes his attacks?

I think it would be better if everyone declared where they wish to move at the same time. Player A might want to attack Player B but PLayer B has plans of moving out of that area. You also could have some interesting battles of 3 or more players all fighting over the same area.

Of course still allow players the option of retreating away.

3. I would not have any special powers for the different Armies. Esp any that require roles that you or other players are not present for.

Overall i like the idea, and might take some of the ideas for my own club.
1 - Army counters are just point values. When a battle takes place, you create a legal army up to that point size as per normal rules (1 HQ, 2 Troops). Mind you, I don't intend to interfere with the battles themselves. The campaign is a fun backstory and excuse for 40k games. Once the battle has been declared, it's up the players to decide which of our tables to use, which mission etc etc.

It's their game. I just asked to be informed of the results so as to incorporate it into the campaign.

2 - To keep things simple and to reproduce both the feel of Risk and 40K itself, each player goes through the entire sequence. So Player 1 moves and attacks. The battles (if any) are resolved and the results are updated to the map which then permits players 2 to begin. And so on...

This way, I'm am capable of moving the game along without having to communicate with ALL players for the move and then ALL players for the attacks and then have to wait until the N battles are finished before moving on to the next turn. This way is more manageable. I am very wary of creating bottlenecks. Imagine if one player gets attacked 3 times by different players. I will have to wait for this guy to play ALL the battles before moving on to the next turn.

3 - The special powers are there to make the armies unique and to and add a fluff element to the game. I tried to avoid powers with rolls but I ran out of imagination for some of the powers. That being said, the online dice roller which sends the results via email will make it easier. Mr.Witch Hunter sends me an email saying "I move X armies from Y to Z, I attack territory A with armies from B,c and D and I launch my special power against territory T. I will roll for it via the online roller, expect the email within minutes of this one".

He goes on the website, puts my email and his own into the roller and rolls the dice. I get the results,update the map, inform the other player of what happened. If any battles occur, he plays them at the next club meet and then, with the results of the battle, the next player beings his turn.