Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New army?
Old 12 Aug 2008, 17:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Wurrzappa Send a message via MSN to Wurrzappa
Default New army?

Hey, i got a couple a questions about my army..
I now got Orks with Kroot allies and i am going to buy the new starter set (Black Reach) so... i was wondering... should i go on with Marines in the box, convert them into Chaos, sell them and buy more Orks or sell them and start some new allies for my Orks? And if i want to spend 100 dollars on one cool model to paint... which should i choose?

Thanks!

Me 'n ma ladz in da early dayz
Wurrzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2008, 19:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: New army?

This question depends on a few factors.

1. How much in Orks do you have, and how much do your friends normally play?

If you only have 500 pts of Orks but your friends normally play 1500-2000pts then you need more orks.

2. How long have you been playing?

If you are kindof new to the game then I suggest staying with just orks. Its best to get really good at an army before you switch to a radically different play style.

Overall suggestion would be to find someone to split the box with you. You get the orks, they get the Marines. If not then try to sell them later. Ebay is great for that.

As for spending $100 on a model to paint, I would not recommend it. I would suggest taking that money and using it to round out you army. $100 can buy several more units that can give you lots of options.

If you want an answer, i just dropped around $112 on a Chaplin Dred. I am going to use him as a counts as Furious Death Company Dred with two close combat arms. I am using the Assault drills for the close combat arms, which means I have to buy 2 left arms and addition right arm just for the shoulder.
JBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2008, 19:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Wurrzappa Send a message via MSN to Wurrzappa

My friend doesnt play.. the Kroot are just mine and i got around 1500 points of them together. I do the hobby for already around...uhm... 5 years or something but in the early years i bought stuff and kept on hacking in it... so this will be my first "real" army.

Me 'n ma ladz in da early dayz
Wurrzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2008, 21:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

You wanna drop a C-note for something to paint thats uber cool? Well there's a ton of forgeworld stuff that would fit the bill. Specifically within the Ork army, I'd suggest one of the gun wagons. Within the kroot army, they've got some pretty cool greater knarlocs.

The forgeworld deamons are pretty wicked too, but I don't think you'd get much play out of them.

But like JBunny said, $100 bucks can buy a lot of minis to round out your army.

Oh, another bit of advice, unasked I know, but a lot of folks are going to be selling off 1/2 the black reach box when it comes out, whether its Orks or SMurfs. My suggestion is to hold on to the other half of the army and use it when you want to play as marines, or trade them in a year when everyone has already sold them off.

Old 13 Aug 2008, 00:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurrzappa
Hey, i got a couple a questions about my army..
I now got Orks with Kroot allies and i am going to buy the new starter set (Black Reach) so... i was wondering... should i go on with Marines in the box, convert them into Chaos, sell them and buy more Orks or sell them and start some new allies for my Orks? And if i want to spend 100 dollars on one cool model to paint... which should i choose?

Thanks!
Option 4: trade the Marines in the box for someone else who gets a box and doesn't want their Orks.