Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Strongest 40K army?
Closed Thread
Old 12 Aug 2008, 12:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Strongest 40K army?

I have played as Blood Angels, Imperial Guard, and Sisters of Battle, but have played against every army out there, and in my opinion, the strongest army to play is the Eldar when in the hands of a skilled player. They have a unit to counter every unit you have, and generally their unit is better than yours. They also have The best transport in the game, (not counting the monolith) the wave serpent, and their two primary tanks, the falcon and fire prism are just as good as if not better than the Russ Battle Tank of the guard and the Hammerhead of the Tau.

Most folks will probably argue that Space Marines are the strongest army of 40K, and I used to think so, but so many people play space marines that non space marine players have developed many tactics for fighting them, and there is the fact that the Eldar can use their aspect warriors to simply slaughter space marines.

So what army in your opinion is the strongest army of 40K? I know every army is supposed to be balanced, and has its own set of strengths, but the Eldar can choose what their strength is.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Old 12 Aug 2008, 12:48   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Strongest 40K army?

I think a lot depends on the player. A newb playing eldar or DE will get owned, everytime. In the hands of a very skilled player, I do believe Eldar or DE will take the top title. As you say, they have units to counter others, and can dictate most of the battle on their own terms. When I've used my Eldar, I've nearly always had the enemy reacting to me, and how I want them to.

Thats not to say they are the best, and they can be beaten. But in the hands of a skilled player, I would expect them to do very well.

[hr]

I'm not sure if this topic will live - it might be a bit close to "whats the best army" sort of thing, but if its a good discussion it would be nice to keep it going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 12 Aug 2008, 12:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

the eldar are really hard to beat... but so are the tau sometimes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
Old 12 Aug 2008, 13:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I hate to point it out, but threads like this are not really tolerated on TO - they are most likely to erupt in flamewars or unnecessary "lol! Teh Marinz r teh roXXorz! loL!"-banter.

Re-Read the Board rules, please - threads like this are explicitely mentioned.

Cheers,
-Bone
Old 12 Aug 2008, 13:05   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

I'd like to think it does however have the potential to be a decent topic, rather than a "which army is best"

Edited - I was a bit of a git

Quote:
Old 12 Aug 2008, 13:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Without questioning your Moderator-Level wisdom (much like "Mentos-Level Coolness"... only without Mentos, of course ), but I don`t think that a topic like this could EVER be a "decent discussion".
First of all, "Best" is entirely subjective, and of course this subjective opinion is coined through personal experience or prejudice. If one gets regularly mauled by a skilled Tau player, of course Tau are the best army around, and so on.

Furthermore, "Best" is an undefined term - best at what? Overall performance? That`s impossible to decide. Of course, all armies being balanced against each other is nonsense; but there IS some form of Rock-Paper-Scissors going on - this alone makes it impossible for a "best army" to exist. Sure, army A might beat army B, but army B beats army C, which in turn beats army A. See what I mean? What`s the "best" army here?

Of course, you COULD ask "which army is the best in terms of mobility/anti-tank-firepower/CC-goodness/etc" - this would narrow the margin, and you COULD have some form of discussion, because then you could bring hard facts into the calculation.

But just asking for the "best" army is provoking trouble, at least imo.

Cheers,
-Bone
Old 12 Aug 2008, 13:22   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Heh, didn't mean to come off nasty - idiots at work.

I suppose you're right, and probably better to padlock as a preemptive safety.

I just thought it would work as a discussion into the capabilities of armies in the hands of skilled players.

Quote:
Old 12 Aug 2008, 13:58   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

They always blow up. Partly because it is such a subjective question, partly because people find it hard to argue this without attacking some of the armies as being overpowered, and partly because other people will attack those people for whining.

So we started locking them as a matter of policy. Sorry, Vall. :-\
Closed Thread