Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

Strongest 40K army?
Closed Thread
Old 12 Aug 2008, 12:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 1,481
Default Strongest 40K army?

I have played as Blood Angels, Imperial Guard, and Sisters of Battle, but have played against every army out there, and in my opinion, the strongest army to play is the Eldar when in the hands of a skilled player. They have a unit to counter every unit you have, and generally their unit is better than yours. They also have The best transport in the game, (not counting the monolith) the wave serpent, and their two primary tanks, the falcon and fire prism are just as good as if not better than the Russ Battle Tank of the guard and the Hammerhead of the Tau.

Most folks will probably argue that Space Marines are the strongest army of 40K, and I used to think so, but so many people play space marines that non space marine players have developed many tactics for fighting them, and there is the fact that the Eldar can use their aspect warriors to simply slaughter space marines.

So what army in your opinion is the strongest army of 40K? I know every army is supposed to be balanced, and has its own set of strengths, but the Eldar can choose what their strength is.
__________________
"I really doubt your credibility as a sane person" - Crisis Vyper

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."



100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline  
Old 12 Aug 2008, 12:48   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Behind you
Posts: 19,399
Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Strongest 40K army?

I think a lot depends on the player. A newb playing eldar or DE will get owned, everytime. In the hands of a very skilled player, I do believe Eldar or DE will take the top title. As you say, they have units to counter others, and can dictate most of the battle on their own terms. When I've used my Eldar, I've nearly always had the enemy reacting to me, and how I want them to.

Thats not to say they are the best, and they can be beaten. But in the hands of a skilled player, I would expect them to do very well.

[hr]

I'm not sure if this topic will live - it might be a bit close to "whats the best army" sort of thing, but if its a good discussion it would be nice to keep it going.
__________________
[quote]Thou shalt not crave thy neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline  
Old 12 Aug 2008, 12:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,830
Default Re: Strongest 40K army?

the eldar are really hard to beat... but so are the tau sometimes...
__________________
Kansas city club at frostreaver.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline  
Old 12 Aug 2008, 13:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Austria
Posts: 3,435
Default Re: Strongest 40K army?

I hate to point it out, but threads like this are not really tolerated on TO - they are most likely to erupt in flamewars or unnecessary "lol! Teh Marinz r teh roXXorz! loL!"-banter.

Re-Read the Board rules, please - threads like this are explicitely mentioned.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline  
Old 12 Aug 2008, 13:05   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Behind you
Posts: 19,399
Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Strongest 40K army?

I'd like to think it does however have the potential to be a decent topic, rather than a "which army is best"


Edited - I was a bit of a git
__________________
[quote]Thou shalt not crave thy neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline  
Old 12 Aug 2008, 13:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Austria
Posts: 3,435
Default Re: Strongest 40K army?

Without questioning your Moderator-Level wisdom (much like "Mentos-Level Coolness"... only without Mentos, of course ), but I don`t think that a topic like this could EVER be a "decent discussion".
First of all, "Best" is entirely subjective, and of course this subjective opinion is coined through personal experience or prejudice. If one gets regularly mauled by a skilled Tau player, of course Tau are the best army around, and so on.

Furthermore, "Best" is an undefined term - best at what? Overall performance? That`s impossible to decide. Of course, all armies being balanced against each other is nonsense; but there IS some form of Rock-Paper-Scissors going on - this alone makes it impossible for a "best army" to exist. Sure, army A might beat army B, but army B beats army C, which in turn beats army A. See what I mean? What`s the "best" army here?

Of course, you COULD ask "which army is the best in terms of mobility/anti-tank-firepower/CC-goodness/etc" - this would narrow the margin, and you COULD have some form of discussion, because then you could bring hard facts into the calculation.

But just asking for the "best" army is provoking trouble, at least imo.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline  
Old 12 Aug 2008, 13:22   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Behind you
Posts: 19,399
Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Strongest 40K army?

Heh, didn't mean to come off nasty - idiots at work.

I suppose you're right, and probably better to padlock as a preemptive safety.

I just thought it would work as a discussion into the capabilities of armies in the hands of skilled players.
__________________
[quote]Thou shalt not crave thy neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline  
Old 12 Aug 2008, 13:58   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 18,087
Default Re: Strongest 40K army?

They always blow up. Partly because it is such a subjective question, partly because people find it hard to argue this without attacking some of the armies as being overpowered, and partly because other people will attack those people for whining.

So we started locking them as a matter of policy. Sorry, Vall. :-\
khanaris is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Army Lists & Army Builder Army Roster Files FTyross Announcements 2 13 Jan 2010 22:07
Hello and Orks 'da strongest Seth Introduce yourself 3 11 Nov 2009 01:18
Proof that a properly fielded Tyrant is the strongest CC unit in the game! Gada Mazaha Tyranids 17 07 Apr 2006 02:14
THE BEST STRONGEST MODEL GLUE Kerwynn General 40K 32 02 Jun 2004 02:23