Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Exactly what do they mean with doubling back...?
Old 07 Aug 2008, 20:52   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Exactly what do they mean with doubling back...?

Is it that you may not move at all in the direction from where you were fleeing at the beginning of the turn, or does it mean you need to move more towards you own table edge when fleeing than any other direction(back from where you fled as an example).

And another question that a friend and i have an arguement about, is it allowed to move WITHIN 1 inch of an enemy unit during the movement, and only disallowed to end the moment within 1 inch. Or is both disallowed.

I think the rules on page 11 The moment phase "Models in the way" is quite clear, but we were unsure.
Rhawin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 21:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Exactly what do they mean with doubling back...?

an example would be if your fleeing unit encounters impassable terrain andhas to move away from your deployment edge in order to continue fleeing towards it. Also, I believe the rules say that you move back in as straight a line as possible, however you can never go the opposite direction and if there is an enemy unit in your path you die...

The description and pictures on page 45 should clear everything up.
magickrat4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 21:55   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

You can not move within 1" of an enemy model at any time during the movement phase, just as you can not move between two models that the base does not fit between. We pick models up and place them again, but technically they just slide around in terms of movement rules.

Doubling back means, as Rhawin said, that you can never move back towards your starting point when falling back. If you move around objects, but you have to be moving roughly towards the table edge. For example, if you move into the mouth of a U-shaped Impassable terrain feature or enemy unit 5" deep, and you fall back 6" towards the back, you are destroyed.

You should be reasonable about it, though. Crossfire is supposed to occur when a unit is obviously backed into a corner. If you are making a huge deal about small irregularities in a terrain feature your opponent has to move around, you are not playing in the spirit of the game.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2008, 14:11   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Now me and my friend cant agree, I say if you need to move the least bit backwards (towards the fleeing direction), you are destroyed. His point is, that as long as he move more towards his own table edge, then backwards. Its not doubling back.

an important point is that he must move backwards (doubling back) to avoid one of my units.

We are from sweden both of us so we were at first unsure of the intrepetation of "Doubling back"
Old 08 Aug 2008, 15:08   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhawin
We are from sweden both of us so we were at first unsure of the intrepetation of "Doubling back"
Easiest way to figure this out -
Draw a line the shortest distance possible to the point where your unit must exit from the board.

Now draw a line perpendicular (90 degrees) to this line.
If at any point your unit crosses this line in his movement, he has doubled back. He can flow around jagged terrain features or intervening objects/unit safe zones by deviating as little as possible, but if he must turn more than 90 degrees from the board edge to move, he has "doubled back".
PolecatEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2008, 15:17   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

And that unit is then destroyed i guess?
Old 08 Aug 2008, 16:43   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhawin
Now me and my friend cant agree, I say if you need to move the least bit backwards (towards the fleeing direction), you are destroyed. His point is, that as long as he move more towards his own table edge, then backwards. Its not doubling back.

an important point is that he must move backwards (doubling back) to avoid one of my units.

I think you are correct, Rhawin. If at any point he has to move back towards where he was originally coming from to avoid impassable terrain or one of your units, that unit is destroyed. PolecatEZ's method is good.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote