Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Big Red Book
Old 30 Jul 2008, 14:10   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Big Red Book

I've seen a couple of people using the term "Big Black Book" on this site to describe the 5th Edition book.

I personally think we need to apply a bit of clarification here.

BBB or Big Black Book, refers to the 3rd Edition rulebook. This is because it is big, black, and has Black Templars on the front.

The 4th Ed. book is widely known as the Big Grey Book (or BGB) because of the grey cover art.

The 5th Ed book is sort of red-orange, but Red is shorter and flows better. So, Big Red Book.

Using a distinct, and new definition for the 5th Ed book removes all confusion; The term BBB has referred to 3rd since before a lot of you started playing, so don't start changing its meaning now! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2008, 14:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Big Red Book

Yeah, but BRB always referred to the WHFantasy Rule Book, which was always 'more redder' than the 40K book.

That's how I always looked at it... BRB - fantasy, BBB - 40k...

Just to hi-jack this thread a little... what do you think of the layout and organization of the new 5th ed book? I have to say - I was impressed...

After reading the book a little - I'd give them a big 'Atta Boy!' on this effort, and I kind of like the new rules - I think - even if I'm having some questions.
Kazadvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2008, 14:29   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Perhaps, but this is a 40K site, so generally speaking people are not going to assume you mean Warhammer if you're talking about rules, unless you specifically mention it.

I don't actually remember the last time I saw, or heard, anyone use "Big Red Book" to refer to Fantasy; most people just call it the "Fantasy Rulebook".

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 30 Jul 2008, 14:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Commander Cool

If it did become a confusion problem, we could always just start calling it Bob (Big Orange Book).

Old 30 Jul 2008, 14:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Kazadvorn you have a point but this is a very predominantly 40K forum so a mixup involving the Fantasy rulebook would be... unusual. If we're talking about 40k and I say "The Big Red Book" nobody's going to think I'm referring to a rule in Fantasy.

Wargamer's right here, the BBB is 3rd Edition 40k and certain aspects of 3rd Edition 40k, whether you were there for them or not, are far more relevant to current 40k than Fantasy could ever be said to be, so it makes sense to call the 5th Ed book the BRB.

I guess a case for BOB (Orange) could be made, if there's that much confusion caused...

There's bits of the 5th Ed book I am pleased with, and others that seem to be showing an almost Forge World-like disrespect to the laws of the English Language, and the Fireknife suit really aggravates me because you'd think if they'd done the research to find out what suits are called they'd at least get it right.

It doesn't feel very long, either. The BBB was packed with so much information, most I never actually read, and the BRB seems to be lacking this despite the rundowns on all the races.

Edit: I got double Ninja'd.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2008, 14:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

BRB is standard shorthand(no pun intended) for the Fantasy book over at Bugman's Brewry... and I've seen it used in other sites that are primarily fantasy too.... That's where I saw the whole BBB vs BRB thing come up... when people are discussing rules and say that someone is confusing something from 40K when discussing fantasy or vise versa...
Kazadvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2008, 14:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

I don't see where the pun could have been anyway.

That comment doesn't hold water because most of our abbreviations here mean other things in other circles. We know what they mean because we're talking about 40k here.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2008, 14:43   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, what about BOB (Big Orange Book) then? That insures no confusion.

Quote:
Old 30 Jul 2008, 14:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Lets face it. How many times are we going to be talking about 3rd ed rules on this sit. For the most part we are not going to be talking about 4th either with the exception of how it changed to 5th.

BBB is simple short hand for the current rule book. I have referred to 3rd, 4th, and now 5th as BBB. When talking about 4th not one person has thought I meant 3rd.

Changing to BRB or BOB is not needed. If you are not talking about 5th, then most people will state which edition they are talking about.

The current edition is the default edition.
JBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2008, 14:47   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

It'll still be used; that's why we accepted BGB as the 4th Edition, and BBB as 3rd.

Some of us still play 3rd, and plenty of people actually consider 5th Edition to be "3rd Edition Redux", or version 2, or whatever you care to call it.

Fact is, we will still use BBB as 3rd Edition because this site has always used BBB as 3rd Edition. It has always used BGB as 4th Edition. If you start trying to use BBB as 5th, it'll confuse people.

Quote: