Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Lowest Model Count and still viable
Old 30 Jul 2008, 13:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Lowest Model Count and still viable

In your opinion, what army can you build with the lowest model count that is still viable in 5th edition?

Right now I'm putting together an idea for a terminator army with dreds and tooled up tac squads with teleports in land raiders, but my model count is still over 30+.

Can you do better?
Shaso Wanax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2008, 14:07   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Lowest Model Count and still viable

I'm going to pick Ravensquig.

2 tooled up Warbosses on Bike.

2 tooled up Nob Mobs on Bike.

The rest spent on tripped out Deffkoptas.

No Codex on hand, so can't work it out right now. If anyone else wants to, please do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2008, 14:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well I could challenge with some sort of small point Deathwing army. I dunno, one HQ, two squads of 5 terminators? I mean its an army because it fills the required choices but other than that :-\ . Without a point reference I would say 11.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 14:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

At 1850pts

2 Hive Tyrant
6 Carnifex
6 Ripper Swarm Base

for Annihilation games only, you wouldn't want to field this in Capture and Control or Seize ground since it would have no scoring units. You could of course tool up the Tyrants and Heavy Fexes and field less models, as to the viability though of super heavy pt models like that, that's another story.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2008, 14:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sorry all, I'm thinking standard tournament points of 1850.

Shaso Wanax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2008, 14:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

We need points costs here. Because at a low enough points, 7 models is the minimum, using Tyranids. Two lots of 3 Ripper Swarms and a single model HQ.

This should really be "What's the lowest viable model count in 1500pts" or 1000pts even.

I guess that 1500 is what you mean.

I don't really think you can viably do under 30 models. My 1500pt Nid list won't be majorly competitive, it should have a go though, but it will be 33 models.

[hr]

Ninja'd by Nezalhualixtlan -
It's not a viable list though because it does have to at least *cope* with 2/3rds of the mission varieties, and that one would get minced.

You'd need to seriously tool up the MCs too. But it is doable.

[hr]

Ninja'd by Wanax -
Since when has Tournament points standard been 1850??? That's the bizarrest points cost I've ever seen, standard is 1500!
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2008, 14:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Since when has Tournament points standard been 1850??? That's the bizarrest points cost I've ever seen, standard is 1500!
Every tourney I play in except one is 1850. The other one is 1875 just to be different.
JBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2008, 14:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Where are these? This is just plain weird :S
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2008, 05:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Well my Grey Knights army comes out to 1360 pts, has one both of the battles I've played with it (not saying much I know) and numbers 6 Terminators 18 Grey Knights and 2 Dreadnaughts. So 26 models and it still does alright.

My Lysanderwing army includes 24 Terminators and 15 Scouts and its won its games too but its more than 30.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2008, 08:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

well now....

daemonhunters - brother captain, 2 inquisitors with 1 man retinues and land raider transports, 2 squads of stormtroopers and 3 more land raiders.

i have that army and it worked in 4th when vehicles were EASIER to destroy. it may only have 2 scoring units now, but you have to get through 5 AV14 tanks to get to them > BTW, including vehicles, it is 20 models

deathwing - belial, chaplain, 2 terminator squads, 3 land raider varients. i use this list from time to time as well, works ok but you really cant send those termies into combat until the last minute. 15 models including vehicles.

or my most compact "take all comers army" - blood angels!

chaplain, death company, 2 rhino mounted tactical squads (fist, melta, las), vindicator, 2 baal preds, 3 attack bikes (multi-meltas)

comes in at 38 models including vehicles and works pretty well (vehicles deal with hordes/tanks/meq, death company deal with anything that isnt initiative 6+, bikes deal with tanks, tacticals deal with whatever they like)