Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

5th edition Dep Strike Mishap Table question - possibilty of Loophole?
Old 25 Jul 2008, 14:37   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default 5th edition Dep Strike Mishap Table question - possibilty of Loophole?

I was reading the rulebook the other day and as I am reading the part about deepstriking, something came up on my mind, that they never bothered to explain.

Okay as we all know, the deepstrike mishap table is only referred to once the unit lands on top of friendlies, to land on or to be 1" close to any enemy unit, scatter of the table, or to be in impassable terrain.

The rolls of 1-2 and also 5-6 are understandable but my main question now is with the result of 3-4 on the mishap table and here being paraphrased; The opponent may then deploy the failed deepstrike unit any where on the table without rolling for scatter in a valid deepstrike formation(with exception of impassable terrain).

Now here comes my question, if I decided to put that failed opponent's deepstrike unit near or on one of my units, can I force them to do another mishap table? I can potentially abuse this rule as the unit is forced to take another mishap rule, and every time he rolls a 3-4, I will put it near another 1" of my units and force them to do the table over and over until the results of them being destroyed or put back into reserve come up.

I need someone to answer this question, as I, unfortunately, along with others may attempt to abuse this particular rule whenever the opportunities arise.

PS: Man....If it can be done....I feel all dirty and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2008, 14:45   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190
Default Re: 5th edition Dep Strike Mishap Table question - possibilty of Loophole?

I would say, no you cannot do it. Why? Because, to me anyways, friendly units are impassible terrain, you should not be able to put the enemy units there.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2008, 14:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: 5th edition Dep Strike Mishap Table question - possibilty of Loophole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis_Vyper
The rolls of 1-2 and also 5-6 are understandable but my main question now is with the result of 3-4 on the mishap table and here being paraphrased; The opponent may then deploy the failed deepstrike unit any where on the table without rolling for scatter in a valid deepstrike formation(with exception of impassable terrain).

Now here comes my question, if I decided to put that failed opponent's deepstrike unit near or on one of my units, can I force them to do another mishap table? I can potentially abuse this rule as the unit is forced to take another mishap rule, and every time he rolls a 3-4, I will put it near another 1" of my units and force them to do the table over and over until the results of them being destroyed or put back into reserve come up.
I wouls say no, and I underlined the relevant bit in the rule.

It needs to be a valid deepstrike formation, which prevent it to be placed on top of friendlies, near enemies (less then an inch away), or off the table.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2008, 14:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think an intention argument is a valid one here.

If it works the way you propose, then there is no point to the 3-4 possibility at all, since it will always resolve into either 1-2, or 5-6.

So no, it shouldn't work that way. An easy fix would be simply to imply an insert "(with the exception of 1" close to an enemy unit and impassable terrain)"

edit: I take it back, somtimes it would be wiser to allow a termie unit to come in, but on THAT corner instead of risking the unit going back into reserve que. So I would be happy to play it either way as long as it is agreed upon at the beginning.
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2008, 15:15   #5 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis_Vyper
PS: Man....If it can be done....I feel all dirty and stuff
I am sooooo not playing Drop Troops with you
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2008, 23:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to THE LORD

Isn't there a rule how you can not re roll a dice more than once, or is that out of 5ed
Because I lied, and they all died

Boy racer, crashed, caught, fined and gone
THE LORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2008, 23:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

nope it,s still there, at least in the shooting phase it is mentionned that you can only rerol a dice once.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2008, 23:45   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

I think Boneguard has it, at least as hard as you would need to deal with it in a tournament. Putting them within 1" of an enemy unit wouldn't be a valid deployment.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2008, 15:48   #9 (permalink)
lonely tau

Just drop them in some difficult terrain! Technically it's still valid, but they now have to take a dangerous terrain test!
Old 26 Jul 2008, 19:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Troops are considered impassible terrain. Those exact words are in the rulebook somewhere in the terrain section. I'll have to dig them out.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote