Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Adjusting to 5th edition's background
Old 24 Jul 2008, 18:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Adjusting to 5th edition's background

So, 5th edition has been out for almost two weeks and I thought it would be interesting to hear how everyone has adjusted to the changes in the background. The big question is (at least to those who write fluff and background for their armies) how has it affected said fluff/background? Are you now faced with major revisions? Does this new information dovetail seamlessly with your own ideas?
Also not to be overlooked are the ways the official background affects other aspects of our hobby. Have these changes affected want army you want to collect next, your army list, or your modeling?
Cheers,
TB
Old 24 Jul 2008, 20:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Adjusting to 5th edition's background

The only large changes that I have seen is that the Emprah is now dead in body, and that there's no mention of C'tan in Necron fluff.
Old 25 Jul 2008, 02:25   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via ICQ to djhg Send a message via AIM to djhg Send a message via MSN to djhg Send a message via Yahoo to djhg

Tyranids got 3 new hive fleets, all based of actually players/hobbyists
Big boon to us Nid players since it shows we *can* have an influence on official fluff

Emperor of Mankind is an interesting change, before it was said that he sheds a tiny tear every time a soldier dies in the defense of the imperium, but being a dead body may change that now...

Very little changes from a fluff perspective of my nids, since GW would have to fundamentally change or wipe out the race to effect my background at all.

AIM::djHg013
Yahoo::djHg013
djhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2008, 09:55   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhg
Emperor of Mankind is an interesting change, before it was said that he sheds a tiny tear every time a soldier dies in the defense of the imperium, but being a dead body may change that now...
That sounds cool.... but considering the scale of war in the galaxy, the throne room would be flooded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2008, 10:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhg
Tyranids got 3 new hive fleets, all based of actually players/hobbyists
Big boon to us Nid players since it shows we *can* have an influence on official fluff

Very little changes from a fluff perspective of my nids, since GW would have to fundamentally change or wipe out the race to effect my background at all.
Sorry about being incredibly cynical but just where can I see the following.

1. Get this information about GW cooperating with hobbyist s on the "Universal" background, for the -new- hive fleets.
2. What kind of paperwork that these "so called hobbyists" needed to sign over their ideas to GW.

Until I get some more additional information from other sources concerning this comment, I'm going with the standard IP Mantra.

This is done in house.

Seriously, there is a great deal of legalese, especially dealing with other countries and regions of the world, that a large company like GW would take something (an idea or concept) without you signing your rights away (or your soul as it will be of curse, er of course given to the divine emperor of Mankind!).

Humorous some of it is, yes but in all truth until I actually see literal writing on submission ideas, I'll stick with the "In house" comment.
Old 25 Jul 2008, 10:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

I think it's probably more likely that they just stole the names of a few Tyranid player's armies. :P

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2008, 00:46   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Or it could simply be co-incidental.

A few players I know (who actually bother to name their fleets) use the same naming convention as GW (Mythical large greebly creatures). There are only so man of these critters, and so GW could just as likely stumble upon the name as anyone else.

Two movie makers could have the same kind of idea (each arrived at it from a dfferent angle). Upon release, the latter will always be accused of copying the idea (there are afterall, only "seven plots"(TM).
chromedog is offline   Reply With Quote