Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Broken Alliance
Old 23 Jul 2008, 18:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Broken Alliance

Last night I played the Broken Alliance Mission with my wife and a friend. Lately, I have seen a few posts around here that honor the concept of playing 40K for fun. Well this mission was amazingly fun. Granted being able to play 40K with your wife and best friend should be a good time no matter what the mission is, but this one is really nice.

Anyway, for those who don’t know, Broken Alliance is a 5th Edition Special Mission designed for 3 players. Around our place we play a lot of 3 way games, and in the past we’ve had various “house rules” for this. We usually played victory points, but taken only from the army you killed the least of. For example, if I killed 1000 points of army A and only 500 points of army B, my VP’s for the game would be 500.

But with the new edition, the victory conditions are simplified. Think of it as a modified Secure and Control, where each army has a piece of terrain designated as their “home base.” This they must defend from the other two armies while attempting to overthrow their opponents. Bases are kept more than 30” away from each other, and the game can be played on a standard 6x4 table or even slightly larger for more maneuverability, if you’d like. We played 1500 points each, and had more than enough room. Then again, none of us had a horde army.

The turns have a variable to prevent one army constantly acting right behind (or right before) another army. In Broken Alliance, first turn is decided by roll off. Players act in descending order. The player who had first turn, then automatically plays last in the subsequent turn, with the other two players rolling off for who goes first.

One of the neatest changes to the rules was the firing on close combat. If your two opponents are locked in close combat you may still fire on them. To hit rolls are done as normal, then for each hit, roll again. On a 4+ you hit your intended target, on 1-3 you hit the other, IIRC (I apologize, I was slightly inebriated last night :-X ). So either way, you’re still hitting something!

First turn starts at the center of the board with only the HQ’s (and retinue if included) of each of the 3 armies within 6” of the center of the board. This is where we imagine the 3 generals sitting down to tea, when one gets offended by a distasteful joke at his expense, and bitch slaps the other two.

So let me give you some of the highlights to illustrate what I’ve said.

In our game last night, my wife Kara played Necrons, our friend Josh played Blood Angels and I played Chaos Marines. When we ended the game at turn 5 because it was midnight, it was a draw. In the end, I was close to over running Josh’s Blood Angels; he was close to phasing out Kara’s Necrons, who were close to contesting my own base.

In Turn 1, the HQ’s were placed at the center of the board, it was Kara’s Necron Lord (with Veil o’ Darkness), Josh’s Chaplain (with Jump Pack) and my Daemon Prince (with Wings and Lash – interesting that we all chose fast moving HQ’s). Kara acted first, and ran her Lord back towards her lines where a squad of wraiths was nearby to body guard, though both Josh and I were egging her on to attack the other guy. In my turn, I used the Lash to whip the Blood Angel Chaplain away from his Death Company, and plopped him down next to the Necron Lord with a squad of wraiths. > Clever little Daemon Prince. Josh was not expecting that, and used his first turn to try and recover with the Death Co.

Next turn, Josh and I rolled off for first turn, which he won. So I acted second followed by Kara. This forces you to really think tactically, because you are never guaranteed to act first, and in this case gave Josh the advantage to bring his Death Company back into cohesion with his Chaplain. Had I won the roll off with Josh, I could have attempted to eliminate his Chaplain, thereby denying his ability to control the Death Company, and then use the Lash to move them closer to Kara’s Necrons, effectively eliminating them as a threat to my army.

I believe it was in turn 3, when a squad of my terminators was engaged in hand to hand with some wraiths. Well it was just too juicy of a target for Josh to pass up, and he shot at the swirling melee, targeting the wraiths. He scored 6 hits IIRC, but only one hit my termies. Unfortunately for him, we both passed all our armor saves. I was hoping to see some of the wraiths fall, but (damn them!) they didn’t and then proceeded to kill my terminators later that turn.

We were enjoying the game so much we didn’t realize it had gotten so late, so we agreed to call it at turn 5, though if it had gone on to turn 6 or 7 it could have been anyone’s game.

I highly recommend playing this mission with your buddies in your own gaming community, or as a pick-up game at the local store. Like I mentioned before, the way the sequence of order changes from turn to turn really forces you to think tactically about how you want your own forces to act and react. And building a take all comers army really benefits you because now you’re facing the variations of two (possibly) quite different armies, and play styles.

So, thank you for reading this. I hope anyone who does get a chance to play this has as much fun as we did. And anyone who has played this, I’d be interested to hear your take on the mission.

Piet

Old 23 Jul 2008, 20:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Broken Alliance

Kduos to you for having fun with 40k. I really enjoyed your post and your outlook of the game. Truely a refreshing post to read.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2008, 20:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

It does sound like a loads a fun. It would be something really worth trying when we (my friend and I) end up being 3 or 5 players instead of 2 or 4.

I do like the fact that turn 5 was still everyones game.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2008, 21:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I read this mission and immediately thought it would be fun, so it's nice to see someone has played it and agrees. My friends and I are all about just having a good time, good thing with my record! So, I really look forward to getting the chance to play this mission.

Nice writeup.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 11:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Nice write-up. +1 Karma.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 12:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sounds great. I wasn't aware of a 3-way 40k game, though I'll certainly be playing them now.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2008, 13:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sounds like a blast! I really wanna try this mission and I'm glad it worked out well for you.

Also I gotta say super jealous! 40k with the wife, a friend and booze, sounds like an amazing time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2008, 14:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguleon-veq
Nice write-up. +1 Karma.
Ah, thank you very much. I'm glad everyone enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
Sounds like a blast! I really wanna try this mission and I'm glad it worked out well for you.

Also I gotta say super jealous! 40k with the wife, a friend and booze, sounds like an amazing time!
Don't be too jealous. If I win the game, sometimes I lose, if you know what I mean :shifty:

And thanks everyone, I'll post up some highlights of our next game if you'd like. It should be next week.