Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Veteran Skill: Fieldcraft
Old 18 Jul 2008, 15:58   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Veteran Skill: Fieldcraft

Would it be appropriate that suitable models (SM scouts, Tau pathfinders e.g.) be able to purchase the fieldcraft skill and, if so, how much would it cost?
dragonwolf999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2008, 16:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Veteran Skill: Fieldcraft

If Tau Kroot don't get the full version, what makes you think some pathfinders deserve it?

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2008, 16:04   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I mean the one that the kroot get. I imagine a group of pathfinders having spent years sneaking through the woods, and so pick up a few skills. Also, it could be converted to other sorts of terrain, but forests have got to be most common.
dragonwolf999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2008, 16:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

If it was specific (Forrest, City, etc.) I don't think it'd be too much.

If I had a choice it'd be Fieldcraft (Kevlar Buddies) for all of the cover saves by your own people you can get. ;D

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2008, 16:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

How about a lifetime growing up in that environment? So far as I know, Catachans and Kroot are the only ones who get those bonuses, specifically because that's their home turf and they HAVE to be able to perform well there, or die.

Unless your scouts are trained on a deathworld, I don't see how they could get it. Even less so for Tau pathfinders (they are only scouts, not some elite stealth squad).
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2008, 17:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I have to slightly disagree/clerify here on few things.

- Kroot spent fair amount of time on any kind of world you can imagine (probably bar daemon worlds). There field craft comes from their physical traits. They are just made for that. Even with any kind of adaptation they might acquire during their travels, they are still build to climb stuff. If Anything, I'd give them move trhu ALL cover rule as they are JUST build for climbing terrain. granted they wouldn't get cover pluses for other the non-woods, since IMO they can climb rocks and ruins just as fats as trees.

- Catachans are the case where the kid (recruit) is being send into a pit of hell, and only way he can live is to learn these skills. Otherwise he will die very soon. And unlike say Armagedon's steel legion, Catachans live nearly all their lives on these worlds.

So unless your guys are built for climbing things like kroot are or spent their whole live in some death trap of a world, I doubt you can get that. Lets put it this way. Have you read the short story from older Tau codex about kroot attacking eldar pathfinders? If Eldar freaking pathfinders(or rangers I forget) don't have "field craft" like kroot do, means that no one bar similar lunatics(catachans) should.

If you want to compare scouts, then Eldar pathfinders are probably the best there is, but when even they loose in dense terrain... Then there isn't anyone left to contest
***Kroot are still excellent scouts, but when the action is happing in dense wooden terrain, the only competition are probably Lictors and Catachans***

P.S. Just a note on tau pathfinders. They ARE in fact very skilled and not "just" scouts. Its just like a different carrier path from a fire warrior as I recall. So that's what they do all their lives so they know there scouting hehe ^_^. That still doesn't mean they can rapidly move thru a dense alien terrain that they had never saw before.

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2008, 19:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

After a mission win, are you allowed to give any unit that performed well any type of ability (eg: fieldcraft).

So I could give my rangers an assault ability if I wanted!

I found that this doesn't always work as my opponent always pickes the unit that he thinks [glow=red,2,300]NEEDS[/glow] the upgrade. Not the unit that performed best.

GGGRRR.... [glow=red,2,300]*warning- accessing devil mode*[/glow]
Old 21 Jul 2008, 04:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Keep in mind, the veteran skills are for Campains ONLY. This is not something that can be applied to ordinary battles, but to pre-decided events where all players AGREE to allow Veteran Skill Points.

Otherwise, play your army, and don't worry about it.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote