Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Army Organization in the 5th edition of the 41st millenium
Old 15 Jul 2008, 23:07   #1 (permalink)
lonely tau

Default Army Organization in the 5th edition of the 41st millenium

Hello everyone. This was a little something I whipped up during summer school, and essentially it takes a look at the changes of armies from 4th edition to 5th edition. Hope you like it, and I hope I was clear enough on what I was saying.
[hr]

In this new edition of Warhammer 40,000 we are seeing a sudden rearrangement of priorities within our armies. Only troops can capture objectives, which have become a massive part of the game now, and most missions are solely based on objectives as opposed to Victory Points. Statistically now vehicles are more resilient to enemy anti-tank fire, especially main battle tanks like the Leman Russ and Hammerhead Gunship, partly due to the new table with modifiers, and partly due to vehicles getting Cover saves. In my opinion this means that we will be seeing a larger amount of Infantry based or Mechanized based armies, but very few purely static, while the common powergaming full elites and heavy support with minimized troops will be good and long gone now. It is invariably true that some armies are going to be massively more effected by these new rules than others, such as armies that can't take Heavy Weapons in their troop slots (such as Tau), while armies such as Space Marines and Guard are perfectly fine. In this guide I hope to look through some of the older playstyles and see how these are being affected by 5th edition, hopefully my insight is well enough for it to mean something.

First of all, we come across one of the more or less common armies, the Mechanized Army. Mech Armies come in many different shapes, sizes and flavor, from a Tau Strike Cadre (all mounted units), to a 3 Crusader Black Templar Rush, to a fully mounted Dark Eldar raiding party of 10-11 Raiders. Most of the armies you'll see that are fully mechanized will come with 6+ Vehicles in a 2,000 point game, with the troop dependency we'll be seeing even more of those mounted Marines and Fire Warrior squads and maybe even Imperial Guard. My personal Tau Army contains 8 Vehicles in it, which is all of the army plus a few suits and some Kroot at 2,000 points.

As mentioned earlier, Vehicles have become more resilient, and as such still have a good use in this new game. Many of our tanks had some sort of Anti-Infantry weapon, ranging from a template gun (Vindicator's cannon, Submunitions, etc) to a multiple shot weapon (Assault cannon, Burst cannons, Heavy Bolters, etc).
These tanks are effectively just as good as in the previous edition, and the edition before that, which is why I place so much trust in my good ole armoured behemoths! On the actual topic of resilience, Eldar, Dark Eldar and Tau have all gotten quite a special bonus. Because being a skimmer no longer gives us a special modification to damage, we can move "Flat Out", which gives us a 4+ cover save, but has the downside of immobilization being a complete crash and burn death. For skimmers, I recommend purchasing what defensive equipment you can, for when you aren't moving Flat Out but still need some form of protection for your delicate tanks.

Now moving up in the world of flexibility for army lists, we have the Hybrid armies, often a result of moving away from either Static or Mechanized, but keeping in the same army. These lists now hold supreme reign, in my opinion, because they will have plenty of Troops to take objectives, while being able to hold their own all around the table with keeping off Infantry hordes and Tank attacks alike. In most cases Space Marines, Imperial Guard and Tau will be the biggest players in this game, or at least the most popular players, with all sorts of good combinations that can be used with them. There really isn't too much to say about Hybrid armies bar a certain tactic of running them up the field with a large squad of weaker units in front to provide a cover save to all of your other troops on the field, and upgrading a few people with special weapons to have a certain bite to your attacks, and effectively creating a hard to budge unit on the objective. For the true element of an effective Hybrid army, you need to be able to combine the assaults of your Tanks and your Infantry in time so that they are effective, or keep your defenses tight enough to keep the enemy from overwhelming you. Once you forget that you have to work with both forces, you have effectively lost the game.

Now, onto Static gameplay. Static is a mostly unmoving playstyle where you sit and fire away with as many big guns as you have, and so for that 5th edition has essentially weakened it a lot. There are no more victory points to be had by shooting away at units except in annihilation, and because of the variance of the mission scenarios and the set up, you want to be able to move as much as you can. One of the higher points of being able to take a fully static army is the amount of heavy weapons, and if you truly do plan on taking a static list, you are most definitely going to need them, as now the enemy dictates the flow of the game even more so than usual. Along with Outflanking and Run, the enemy will be reaching you much sooner and much more powerfully, especially with all of the cover saves out there which you cannot negate. In my opinion, almost all of the old Static Armies are going to begin becoming a more Hybrid army than anything, adding in tanks here and there, along with a transport or two with shock troops in it. Really, there isn't much to say about the benefits of Static armies with the exception of Going to Ground, and even then you can't shoot at the enemy, which makes it a kind of null point.
[hr]

My closing statements on this article are close to essentially "Hybrid and Mech reign supreme." I don't think that most of the armies got too powerful, and although one play style has been phased out of the game for the most part, it's only making the whole game more fun and tactical, in my opinion.
Old 16 Jul 2008, 01:59   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Army Organization in the 5th edition of the 41st millenium

Hehe, ya, I played a fairly static IG Gun-line against a Mechanized SoB. I agree that Hybrid list would take over the board. One element to hold objectives and the other to capture them. It's gonna make the game fairly interesting. I need to get some Chimeras for my Mechanized list
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2008, 08:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

A few flaws with your litanies
Elite/heavy power armies are still viable because objectives can be contested by any unit.

There is also the fact that if you whipe your opponant off the table you win by default(it's even in the new rulebook)

I have been on the opposite end of both of these from our local nidzilla player. at 2K he actually has 5 troop slots filled with guants and stealers but the true power of his army is in his 5 fex's, tyrant and malenthrope.

IG troops also suffer in KP games similar to tau sniper teams and zoanthropes.
each selection only takes up one entry in the FOC but when placed on the table they each are counted as seperate units for KPs (a single IG troop platoon must have a minimum of 2 and a max of 6- 10 m squads in each selection, so anywhere from 2-6 KPs for one "troop" choice :-X )

If contested games are settles by KPs as GW intends it also tends to favor the small elite armies.

Old 17 Jul 2008, 08:52   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Wait, wait, wait....

IG is an unusual horde army dues to their Command Platoon being 1 Command Squad and 0-5 Support Squads and Infantry Platoon organizing being 1 Command Squad and 2-5 Infantry Squads. I think it's fairer to count that onw whole platoon as 1 KP. Like One mob of 30 orks or a Gaunt swarm as 1 KP.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 09:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Zenny, I 2nd that. I slot = 1 KP. Should be anyway.
“Never break the rules, for They will only make them harder to get passed and the consequences will be the worse for it. Instead, bend the rules, and bend with them. This allows for no sight of the incursion to be noticed, thereby remaining un-acted upon by Them.”
ropya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2008, 10:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenny
Wait, wait, wait....

IG is an unusual horde army dues to their Command Platoon being 1 Command Squad and 0-5 Support Squads and Infantry Platoon organizing being 1 Command Squad and 2-5 Infantry Squads. I think it's fairer to count that onw whole platoon as 1 KP. Like One mob of 30 orks or a Gaunt swarm as 1 KP.
Fair has nothing to do with it.
they have already clarified it- each seperate unit counts as a seperate KP.

3 zoantropes=1 FOC selection but 3 KPs
3 sniper drone teams= 1 FOC selection, but 3 KPs
1 marine squad combated into 2 =2X 5 man squads-1 FOC selection, 2 KPs once seperated

for IG-
1 FOC selection-2-6 KPs
Old 17 Jul 2008, 10:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

Quote:
Originally Posted by mughi3
for IG-
1 FOC selection-2-6 KPs
which sucks, and its unreasonable, but its the truth.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 13:19   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

OK, we need some clarification on this. I'll get someone to clarify for us.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 13:33   #9 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

It's true here's the quote:

"Note that occasionally the Codexes allow the player to include several units in his army at the cost of a single force organization slot (like dedicated transports, etc.). Apart from being bought as a single choice, these units operate and count as separate units in all respects."
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2008, 13:41   #10 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Well, that's imbalanced. Well, I won't be playing Annihilation then.