Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

whats a better second army, necrons or chaos?
View Poll Results: necrons or chaos?
necrons 8 34.78%
chaos 13 56.52%
other race if sugestide 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 Jul 2008, 21:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default whats a better second army, necrons or chaos?

now i play alot of tau and i like both the necrons and chaos but cant chose ???. i need adventiges and disadveniges for both races and ad a presonal opion but try not to yell at eachother to much ok ^-^
Old 14 Jul 2008, 21:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: whats a better second army, necrons or chaos?

i have i think a 2500 point tau army but im not shoure
Old 14 Jul 2008, 22:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to AfrikA Send a message via Yahoo to AfrikA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShasO_burningice
i have i think a 2500 point tau army but im not shoure
That sounds like a vote for Necrons to me.

"This plan is so perfect it's retarded."
AfrikA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2008, 22:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Necrons have perhaps the toughest models in the game, with good saves, high toughness, and will be back special rule. However, they are also the most expensive army in the game with their basic troop weighing in at a hefty 18 points. They have many powerful and unique special rules, but generally suffer from being so high in points cost that they are severely outnumbered and I find often over powered. They have one of the strongest tank in the game. Also, with their models being so expensive you don't need a ton to start playing. Have a very unique play style, and are generally a rare army so not many people play it (compared to marines and such).

Chaos has two codexes at it's disposal: Demons and Chaos Space Marines. Chaos Demons use a very specialized deepstrike deployment style which is a real challenge to play, and while benefiting form powerful units and invulnerable saves are generally pretty fragile. Therefore, they take a lot of skill to play but can be very fun and very rewarding. Chaos Space Marines are a great army because of all their possibilities. You could make a super tough army of plague marines, or a close combat power house using a bunch of Khorne dedicated units. You could even make a force of generic marines that would play similarly to a Space Marine army. Chaos Space Marines have tons of options and abilities to adopt to any play style you want, while having nice models and good units. They are also pretty tough with their power armor and toughness 4. However, they are a more common army than demons or necrons.

Those are just a few points on the two. I'm sure others can give you more ideas, however I would recommend searching the separate army boards for my ideas and advice. My personal recommendation is Chaos just because I like them more than Necrons :P
Old 15 Jul 2008, 01:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Well I know you are young, but if I could give you a friendly piece of advice please be careful with your spelling (we do have a spell check option) sometimes it's hard to read, and double posting is frown upon, use the edit button.

Well Necron and Chaos has been pretty much well describe...there's not much more I would add to it.

But one army you could think about is Imperial Guards. They are fairly flexible army, with huge number, good tanks, not the best weapon, but still can be quiste fun. Also, even without using Doctrine, you can build your regiment to either be allied with the Tau (Gue'vesa) or Chaos (The Damned)...many hours of fun conversion there.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2008, 03:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Bottom line which army do you like astectically and which one would you perfer to model and paint. Do not go for what others think or what others tell you to.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2008, 08:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

From a different perspective.

I suggest you go chaos.

The reason is that the Necrons are going to have a new codex with in a year or so. The Chaos codex has already had its revision, and it is flexible enough to fit your style of playing.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 12:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by sionnach19
[...]over powered. They have one of the strongest tank in the game.[...]
i assume by the "strongest tank in the game", you mean the slowest. also, it fires D6 str 5 shots at everyone in range (12" i think) the demolisher cannon fails in comparison to the gauss flux ark.

yes it has the particle whip, but that is usually used to keep the warriors bouncing around :P

ignore any references to necrons being overpowered, they are just hard as coffin nails (as they are supposed to be).

but you havent given a play style.... i will try to sum up (in my opinion) what each army does for its "stereotypical" playstyle:

Chaos - every man is a superhuman beast, their heavy weapons troopers are on par with standard assault marines (as i believe they keep their combat weapons). tends to be a combat army backed up by shooting.

Necrons - amoung the toughest army in 40k. currently they suffer quite badly becuase of the phase out rule (if you kill 75% of the army, they all dissapear and you win). necrons are a nasty shooting army and can take a ton of punishment.

others to consider:

(i'll plug them, why not ) daemonhunters - not "really" for the competetive minded. but the armies models are a beuty to behold and once you get past the steep learning curve they are a nice army to use. tend to be a semi-mobile shooty army with an impressive counter assault. a very reactive army.

Eldar - every squad has its own area of expertise. use them wrong and they will crumble, used properly, there is little that can stop them. their fragility makes them a hard army to get used to. can be combatty or shooty - but usually favor one or the other.

black templars - the fastest infantry army in the game thanks to 5th edition. a charge range of 30" by turn 2 (from standing) without any transports. plus they are marines, so they are pretty nails and you can make the entire army re-roll to hit in assault they tend to be a combat based army, very little shooting. though land raider crusaders appear quite often in their lists.

well, that'll do for now have you got any preferences on models/background/painting style/playine style as these can greatly affect the army you choose.

but for what its worth:

chaos if you want to win most of your games competetively

necrons if you like cool armies
Old 15 Jul 2008, 14:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Magnifico
Quote:
[...]over powered. They have one of the strongest tank in the game.[...]
i assume by the "strongest tank in the game", you mean the slowest. also, it fires D6 str 5 shots at everyone in range (12" i think) the demolisher cannon fails in comparison to the gauss flux ark.

yes it has the particle whip, but that is usually used to keep the warriors bouncing around :P

ignore any references to necrons being overpowered, they are just hard as coffin nails (as they are supposed to be).
On the contrary, I meant I often found Necrons overpowered [by their enemies] because of their high points cost. It took me a while to get used to playing a Necron army but now it isn't really a big deal and I can generally mop 'em up pretty well.

The strongest tank in the game doesn't mean it needs a lot of guns. The monolith has enough I suppose, and it's slow speed is offset by it's ability to teleport troops (which makes it ridiculously hard to lock Necrons in close combat) and the fact it's so hard to kill... without extra dice for armor penetration it's not easy to hurt it, especially with the new damage tables.

Though, I must agree that Black Templars are another fun army. Their ability to move so freaking far across the board is ridiculous, I've had a lot of fun with it in past games and look forward to having fun with it in future games A nice solid close combat army.

Nids are another option to, with all their adaptability. They are pretty close combat heavy which is something I might try and push you towards seeing as you already have a shooty Tau army.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 14:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
On the contrary, I meant I often found Necrons overpowered [by their enemies] because of their high points cost.
my apologies, it seems i got the wrong end of the stick.

but the teleport isnt going to be as useful anymore. necrons who lose combat by more than 3 are seriously lucky if they dont get cut down and completely destroyed