Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vehicle Top Armour Values
Old 14 Jul 2008, 19:29   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Vehicle Top Armour Values

I saw something interesting on pg. 60 of the new rulebook. Under Template and Blast weapons against vehicles, there's a sentence that reads:
"Hits from barrage weapons, however,always hit the vehicle's side armour (representing top armour)."

Does this mean that top armour is now the same as side armour?
With the new true line of sight rules wouldn't shooting from an elevated position in respect to the vehicle allow you to hit top armour, which being equal to side armour and in most cases less than front armour?

Maybe there's something later in the rulebook that mentions top armour values but I haven't found anything yet. So what's the deal?
sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2008, 19:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Vehicle Top Armour Values

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper
I saw something interesting on pg. 60 of the new rulebook. Under Template and Blast weapons against vehicles, there's a sentence that reads:
"Hits from barrage weapons, however,always hit the vehicle's side armour (representing top armour)."

With the new true line of sight rules wouldn't shooting from an elevated position in respect to the vehicle allow you to hit top armour, which being equal to side armour and in most cases less than front armour?

Maybe there's something later in the rulebook that mentions top armour values but I haven't found anything yet. So what's the deal?
I have seen no such rule either, and you can't just assume it's in there just because it seems logical to you, so just play it as written - Hits from non-barrage weapons are resolved normally, whether such shots are fired from an elevated position or not.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2008, 19:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

As with modern tanks the top is the weakest part (the javelin is designed to take advantage of this).
So i would of expected this to hit the rear armour and close combat attacks to hit the sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmon
Phwoar.
manic-swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2008, 19:52   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Its in the armour penetration against vehicles section of the new rulebook.

I think the thinking is that even with the tanks weaker top armour barrage missiles come down almost at a perpendicular angle to the top of the tank and its this fact that also adds to the ability to puncture the armour. Shooting at a tank from a building the projectile would be coming in at an angle and the blast is slightly deflected thus less effective than a projectile coming straight down on top of the tank.
asianavatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2008, 22:43   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper

I have seen no such rule either, and you can't just assume it's in there just because it seems logical to you, so just play it as written - Hits from non-barrage weapons are resolved normally, whether such shots are fired from an elevated position or not.
I simply wanted to know if anyone has seen a rule regarding this issue. I think that your reply came off a little harsh.

Here's an example of what I was looking for:
"Well, sleeper, I haven't seen anything regarding top armour in the rules either, I know that in 4th edition top armour was treated as front armour so there was no real difference. Since the rulebook just came out most people haven't had the time to fully evaluate the changes. This could change things so we should keep looking to see if there's a rule that covers this."

sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2008, 23:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

Nope, you still hit the side you can see

Otherwise they'd be no point in front armour as everyone just has to stand on a building and tanks will be goners.

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2008, 05:34   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Tauruler1

You're all wrong. I think that, lets say you shoot the vehicle from, lets say the front. The template lands on top but since its being fired from the front, you use that sides armor value.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 11:25   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauruler1
You're all wrong. I think that, lets say you shoot the vehicle from, lets say the front. The template lands on top but since its being fired from the front, you use that sides armor value.
They were discussing a rule that talks about barrage weapons only, all other blast weapons would use the rule you just stated.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 12:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

A barrage weapons would probably do next to nothing hitting the sloped front armour, which is designed to stop it from doing any real damage. (it just glances off). But towards the middle of the tank the armour is flat again so that you have a stable weapons platform, if it hit this not only would it penetrate more but it wouldn't be stopped by the extra armour on the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmon
Phwoar.
manic-swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2008, 12:40   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Once again, we need the logic of Cityfight to save us.

"Top" armour doesn't just mean the shot came from above, it means the shot came from an insanely steep angle. Normal armour facings apply for standard shots, but the idea of "Top" armour was created to allow for weapons firing from a very great height (ie: on top of a building more than 8" tall).

So, it isn't enough to be 1" above your target, you've got to be firing nearly vertical! Hence, Barrage only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote