Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

5th edition - GW's latest bout of shameless profiteering?
View Poll Results: Where do you stand on the 5th edition rulebook?
A 5th edition rulebook was an unnecessary step - We still have to download army-specific errata after all. 17 16.35%
I'm glad of the new changes, but I'd prefer an official rules update available as a free .PDF download. 14 13.46%
I don't mind paying for a new rulebook because a more accessible game will attract new players and fuel the hobby. 23 22.12%
I welcome the new rules - They make the game better and the changes are sufficient to justify a new rulebook. 50 48.08%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 10 Jul 2008, 14:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default 5th edition - GW's latest bout of shameless profiteering?

Does anyone else think the changes made in 5th edition are few and far between? It seems to me that there have been one or two simplifications made to the game, a new rule or two, and some new mission/deployment paradigms but it is essentially unchanged.

Reading through the new rulebook I find myself increasingly disappointed; they've even cut and pasted vast swathes of text from 4th edition! I suppose I don't really know what I expected. 4th edition worked well enough and 5th just seems to simplify some of the things that were overly complicated, but the changes that have been made just don't seem to justify a whole new rulebook.

I can't help but feel conned by Games Workshop. It's a sound moneymaking scheme, I mean how many existing players aren't going to buy the new edition rulebook? So what are we to make of this? Is it a perfectly innocent attempt to make the game more accessible and enjoyable by introducing slight tweaks? Is it shameless abuse of the fans' loyalty to make a bit of coin? Or is it a sign that 40k is starting to implode and measures are being taken to keep it afloat (monetarily)?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 14:42   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: 5th edition - GW's latest bout of shameless profiteering?

I think they've tweaked some things that needed tweaking, although that could have been done with a "Warhammer 40k Update 2008"

I think it becomes more money making when you count the knew swathe of codex that will now follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 14:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think the new rulebook makes the game easier to learn, and well, to put it plainly makes it more usable by 'thick people' or just make it easier for youngsters to learn (Get them into it when their young, that works) of course they want the money out of it but I don't think they were simply thinking "Money!" When they made it; they were thinking "Money!" and "More customers!" I'm feeling more and more they are doing things the newbies or potential customers want rather than doing what should be done, doing what the vet's want.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 15:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

look at it this way.....

with 5th edition:

little jonny noob enters the store. staff member gives an intro game. jonny says "Y@y Th@ WoZ Cool" so the staff member explains that to play the game properly you need 2 books - the rulebook that describes the main rules for the army and the codex that describes how to use the army you want. jonny says "ize wAnT Diz army" and gets the codex and the book.

if they had released a "updates" book:

little jonny noob..................... (read above)............you need 3 books. the rulebook explains the basic rules of how to play and this 15 extra add-on shows you what was wrong with the rules and simplifies them a bit. plus you then need this other book that shows you how to play the army.

i think that anyone with a bit of intelligence would sub-conciously think :shifty:"why not put those updates in a new book and release it as a new edition? they're just making money off of shoddy work":shifty:

as much as i know GW want to make money (they are a business after all), it come accross as more professional to make a new product than expect every player to own the rulebook and the umpteen "minor" updates that the company thinks of. i can see confusion at tournaments if players have to bring too many books etc (i plan on taking ALL the codecies to this years GT so i dont get caugt out on rules laywers for example )

just my thoughts :funny:
Old 10 Jul 2008, 15:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think its the money who is behind it all, but the new rule book is just the cheapest money the will ever earn.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 15:22   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

A new Rulebook is the best way, simply because we'd have mountains of errata and random snippets of paper glued into our books that it would be messy, confusing and down-right impractical.

It's better to have people bitching about GW "ripping us off" than people bitching that they missed the update that says Hull Down is now a 4+ cover save.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 10 Jul 2008, 18:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
A new Rulebook is the best way, simply because we'd have mountains of errata and random snippets of paper glued into our books that it would be messy, confusing and down-right impractical.

It's better to have people bitching about GW "ripping us off" than people bitching that they missed the update that says Hull Down is now a 4+ cover save.
The changes and additions are not all that extensive though. Couldn't they have been compiled into a single downloadable errata update, just like all the various codex updates? With sufficient publicity it would have been as difficult to miss as the release of the rulebook itself.

[hr]

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizztheberzerker
I think its the money who is behind it all, but the new rule book is just the cheapest money the will ever earn.
I'm not sure I agree with this. The vast majority of the 5th edition rulebook is just cut'n'pasted from 4th edition. I can't imagine it cost a great deal to publish, and damn-near every existing player has or will buy the new one. It's like printing money.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 19:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Sinsparagon

While I do believe money is behind the majority of the things GW does, a new edition is needed. Some of the changes in 5th Ed really are different from 4th, and for the price of the rule book you get both RULES and FLUFF.

So in the end, I'm happy(ish) to shell out the $50 to GW.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 19:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Fluff is constantly being retconned though, that suggests that GW is actually not putting enough importance on some things...

I've come to realize that at the end of the day, they are a company built to make money. It may not have been the intentions earlier, but it's apparent now.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 10 Jul 2008, 20:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I don't think 5th edition was a purely money-making exercise because I don't think they actually make a lot on the books. Not every player buys one. Some depend on their local group to buy just one for the group. I think they thought the new rules were needed to improve the game. Their idea of improve and ours may differ.

However, in general, I think GW make it abundantly clear that rule-writing is a secondary concern for them. The rules and fluff don't exist on their own. They exist to sell models which is where they really make their money.
Closed Thread