Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Looking for suggestions
Old 09 Jul 2008, 06:40   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Looking for suggestions

My girlfriend and I decided to get back into 40k. She kept her Chaos models, but I EBayed my Tau. This isn't such a bad thing, since I really never got into the Tau spirit; in the games I played I felt kinda cheap for avoiding close combat and JSJing (no offense to Tau players, just my personal preference). So I'm trying to decide on a new army to start.

I'm somewhat slow at painting, but like my models to look good, so I was hoping to make an army with a relatively small number of models that are expensive points-wise.

I would also like the army to be more assault oriented than shooty.

I'm not sure if this is considered cheesy or not, but I would prefer having an army with a relatively small number of troops. This again is due to painting considerations, the thought of mass producing uniform troops doesn't seem fun, I would rather have a diverse army with different types of small units that can be painted differently (with a common color scheme of course).

Any suggestions on what type of army would meet these preferences? I think the Eldar might meet these preferences, but maybe there are some armies that I'm overlooking.

Thanks, and it's good to be (almost) back in the 40K universe.

TheRearAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2008, 07:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to The_One
Default Re: Looking for suggestions

Well the Eldar assault oriented (as well as all Eldar) are good for specific roles...AND they have to be used at the right time and in the right context, you also cant keep them in combat for a prolonged time because their low Toughness will be their demise.

I personally like Grey Knights (Daemonhunters), VERY few models and they look tight (a Terminator with a SPEAR!!!)...and if you paint them well then they look FANTASTIC!!!

I'd choose Daemonhunters over Eldar any day (they live longer)
The_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2008, 08:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRearAdmiral
I would also like the army to be more assault oriented than shooty.

I'm not sure if this is considered cheesy or not, but I would prefer having an army with a relatively small number of troops. This again is due to painting considerations, the thought of mass producing uniform troops doesn't seem fun, I would rather have a diverse army with different types of small units that can be painted differently (with a common color scheme of course).
Deathwing sounds like the army you're looking for. Small numbers, lethal in close quarters if you want them to be and easy to make and paint unique looking models.
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2008, 10:44   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Ravensquig!

My Ork army has 32 models in it at 1,500pts, and is great fun to play! Just make sure everything you bring is a Bike, Buggy, Trakk or Deffkopta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2008, 10:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to coolmule

Reminds me of my ultra fast, ultra hard, ultra beardy 16-models-in-1000-points Death Guard army. Didn't take long to paint. Sadly it's no longer legal since the newst Chaos 'dex.
Old 09 Jul 2008, 11:27   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to vedalslayer

I'd have to go with Eldar for that 'special forces' feel, plus the Aspect warriors provide a bit of varienty painting wise, were as the likes of Deathwing would be more uniform. personal choice, though Deathwing would be very very lethal.

Ork Speed freaks would be fun, mate of mine uses them likewise and he too likes his deffkopta Wargamer ......nasty thing it is too. Seems to have the uncanny ability of actually hitting what its shooting at. odd.
Old 09 Jul 2008, 11:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I know I do this a lot, but I really have to recommend the Blood Angels. They can assault and shoot, depending on your preference. Their codex is free, they have good Troops but brilliant Elites, they've the magnificent Baal Predator.

Check it out yourself, the link is in the SM forum. It's at least worth a look.

http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk1
RonanB1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2008, 20:02   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like there are more options than I originally considered. I'll go check out some of the above mentioned armies today at the local store.
Old 09 Jul 2008, 20:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

You can take blood angels with assult marines and then have the death company. Its pretty low model count. I mean 5 man assult squads as troops can add up to be 170-180 points easily. Like a 500 point combat patrol list can be like 14 models.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 05:09   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Well, after looking through codex after codex, boxes and boxes of models at the hobby store I finally made a decision... Grey Knights! They just look so awesome. I also really like the way the stormtroopers look, plus the Inquisitors henchmen seem like a really good way to give the army some personality. Started off simple and bought one box of regular Grey Knights... look for me in the Inquisition forum asking noob questions lol. And thanks again for the help.