Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hidden deployment
Old 01 Jul 2008, 14:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Hidden deployment

Does 5th ed still sport this rule? I read the missions section briefly, so I am not sure if it still exists or is in use in the standard pick up game rules.

One big gripe I have about 40k is the all important 1st turn. As a Tau player, I'm all too aware of how devastating first turn firepower can be. Now with all "area terrain" allowing shots to pass through, this would be an even larger problem, because nothing can completely hide from first turn shots.
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2008, 14:52   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Hidden deployment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Actual
Does 5th ed still sport this rule? I read the missions section briefly, so I am not sure if it still exists or is in use in the standard pick up game rules.
Since most of the troops which have Hidden deployment methods (Lictors, DE Mandrakes etc) all have their own special rules which are covered in the relevant codex, and unless they're override the codex(es).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Actual
One big gripe I have about 40k is the all important 1st turn. As a Tau player, I'm all too aware of how devastating first turn firepower can be. Now with all "area terrain" allowing shots to pass through, this would be an even larger problem, because nothing can completely hide from first turn shots.
It'll be harder to hide behind cover, but not impossible . If the shooting rules work the way I think they work (and I may be wrong), but going on past experience of similiar rules in past editions, only models which can be seen can be shot at. So if can only see two models, then the number of casualties will be severely reduced.
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2008, 15:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

sorri, I think I mean concealed deployment?

the one where you count as being in night fight until you move during the first round?

don't remember wassit called~
Old 01 Jul 2008, 15:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Lictors at least still deploy as they did in 4th - Deep Striking still exists, and Lictors must deep strike into a piece of area terrain coming in from Reserve as normal, nothing I've seen in the 5th Ed rulebook counteracts the Tyranid codex on this manner.

As for the the changes in ranged targeting, yes it will be harder to completely hide units from being able to be shot at on the first turn - but balancing that out is the fact that more units will now be able to get a lot more in terms of cover saves too.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2008, 15:46   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Remember that 5th has totally shaken things up.

In 4th, you deployed and then rolled for first turn.

In 5th, you roll for first turn then the player who wins the roll deploys his army, then his opponent deploys, and then play begins.

In other words, you can set up your army as you need to based on what happens; if you win first turn you can set up offensively. If you don't, you know where all your opponent's stuff is and can deploy accordingly... and even then there's a 1/6 chance you'll get first turn instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2008, 15:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

With mklights in abundance, and deploying as fast AND with a scout move, a Tau army will be able to hammer REALLY hard on first turn despite cover.

We'll have to see if knowing who takes first turn during deployment will change the (win/lose) dynamic of first turn.

I play Warmachine, and losing first turn isn't a big deal because you get to see the other person's complete deployment before you deploy. Here, you don't get that advantage, so KNOWING that you will be hammered first turn doesn't help if you don't know where to hide your units at.
Old 01 Jul 2008, 21:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

As Wargamer said, 5th edition is doing things a lil differently, but I think it would be pretty cool to have a mission with totally secret deployment either via a screen or with the players drawing a sort of crude map of the table and plotting their' unit's positions on it. Perhaps use the nigh fight rules for the first turn of the game just to give a reason for the extreme secrecy of the set up.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jul 2008, 19:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You could have sentries on both teams to represent scouts searching for the enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmon
Phwoar.
manic-swede is offline   Reply With Quote