Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

first full 5th edition game complete
Old 27 Jun 2008, 12:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default first full 5th edition game complete

Up until yesterday, my friends an I have skirmished around with one or two units to play out specific rules and see how they impact tactics. yesterday we played our first full 5th edition games. Here is my batrep: Space Marines vs. Space Wolves.

My Chapter:
6x10 man tac squads with bolter/ 1 w melta
1x10 man assault squad with B pistol & ccw
1x5 man assault squad with B pistol & ccw
3x 5 man devastator squads with 2 bolters, 1 heavy bolter, and 2 missile launchers
1x 1 captain with powerfist, bolter

His wolves:
vindicator
annihilator
landspeeder with multimelta/assault c
venerable dreadnought with assault c and dred ccw/flamer
3 x 10 man tac squads with 1 melta and SGT with Pfist
1x 15 man blood claws with Bpistol and ccw
1 x 5 man devastator with 1 lascannon, 2 missile launchers, 2 heavy bolters
the wolf commander with frost axe and 5 wolves

We rolled capture objectives and dawn of war setup. I chose sides and went first. The table was well terrained with a central building that counted as blocking terrain. All other was 4+ area terrain. I won't go into setup details because it really doesn't matter, but I did set up first and set both troop and HQ in the blocking building near the centerline. This force him to set up 18" away and well back in his deployment zone. On turn 1, he rolled and seized the initiative, so he moved first.

All of his army came on and he moved everyone and ran all he could. In my turn I took a single pot shot with a melta at his dred and missed, but all of my army also came on and ran forward.

In turn two we were in rapid fire range with 2 squads each. This sort of thing continued as a run up and rapid fire event until his wolves and my assault squads came together in a CC that lasted 3 turns. Essentially it was a typical game in that I blew up his tanks and shot down the landspeeder, I wiped out the devastators and the 3 tac squads; he killed off both assault and 3 tac squads.

In turn five, we rolled and the game continued through turn 6. I got close enough that the bloodclaws who were guarding his objective had to charge, they killed off a tac squad remnant but left another one who fell back. He rolled 1" consolidate. The game ended, and we both thought I had won since his bloodclaws had been pulled over 3" away from his objective; but on reflection we realized that the infantry next to my objective were devastators! No troops, so it was a tie and a bloodbath.

Here are some points we stumbled with:

1. The vindicator wanted to shoot at troops in the blocking terrain who were in range, but since they couldn't be seen were not a valid target. He elected not to shoot at the building given the target rich environment my massive army presented.
2. The template touches and hits, so his vindicator was able to kill 5 and 6 space marines at a time even though they were at maximum coherency distance.
3. We kept forgetting not to roll on BS for shooting frag missiles, and when we did remember they always touched 3 or more models after drift.
4. Wound allocation didn't effect me since most of my models were identical, but he suffered from it twice. Once a powerfist SGT died on his roll. We also had 2 instances where 4 failed saves only killed 3 space marines because of allocation.
5. We are still uncertain how "we know no fear" works in 5th, since we couldn't find it in the book; thus we're uncertain about one CC result and if we did it correctly.
6. I was able to shoot missiles through 2 woods and a troop unit into his pr editor and kill it; those 3 things provided exactly 1 cover save, and I've got to tell you that was some damn find shooting for a missile to pass through 2 woods and a body of troops and hit not so much as a limb.

Tactical notes:

1. tac squads need someone with a powerweapon or powerfist, because CC is going to happen and it will happen on turn 2 or 3. His dred kept getting stuck on one tac squad in CC where I can't hurt him but I pass my leadership test and stayed. Eventually he killed them all and I was able to put a melta in his back, but without a powerfist, that squad was wasted before a single marine died.
2. with marines you might as well run in the open and let the lead squad take the incoming fire. There is little sense in trying to get a 4+ cover save when your armor save is 3+. This doesn't apply when facing things like a firedragon squad or a 3 suit crisis unit with plasma, for the cover save is essential then. But in most cases just running over open ground is the quickest way to get into rapid fire range.
3. Did I mention the vindicator killed more marines than anyone/thing else on the board. Drifting the template and no partials is just killer. Expect to see lots of basilisks.
4. cover saves do, however, help vehicles stave off AT shots. I poored 12 shots over 2 turns into a single tank before I could kill it. Glancing happens a lot with AV13 (a 5), and the cover save negated most shots. All but two to be exact, and only 1 penetrated.
5. Exploding tanks now suck for nearby infantry, so don't cower behind a firemagnet tank. You don't roll to wound now, they are all wounded automatically. You only roll to save...

Overall, I like it thus far. Of course we both weenie out by using SM as our safety army, but it was about learning the rules this game.

CC welcome
Shaso Wanax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2008, 17:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: first full 5th edition game complete

Good Batrep Wanax!

+1 karma to encourage more batreps in general 40k.
Old 28 Jun 2008, 00:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

thanks. I actually may be wrong on the exploding tank auto-wounding. My friend said we did it wrong, so next trip to the hobby shop and I'll examine to see if we did it wrong.

Old 28 Jun 2008, 00:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

It looks like open topped vehicles will explode a ton especially when shot with AP 1 weapons in 5Th edition. Nice batrep by the way. edit I hope it does not then vehicles will not be fielded as much.
Old 28 Jun 2008, 03:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Vehicles not dying due to glances sorta sucks...makes scarab swarms *much* less effective with disruption fields. However, wound allocation and running vastly buff my army. Played my first game of fifth ed today, necrons vs necrons. I ran my usual scarab/spyder list at 2k points, he ran the standard destroyer/troops/monolith/lord w res orb dealie...though we did both take C'tan.

Results: He phased out turn three...

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2008, 05:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
Vehicles not dying due to glances sorta sucks...makes scarab swarms *much* less effective with disruption fields. However, wound allocation and running vastly buff my army. Played my first game of fifth ed today, necrons vs necrons. I ran my usual scarab/spyder list at 2k points, he ran the standard destroyer/troops/monolith/lord w res orb dealie...though we did both take C'tan.

Results: He phased out turn three...
turbo boosting 24" range scarabs with a 2+ cover save is a nice thing isn't it.
>
Old 28 Jun 2008, 16:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yes...yes it is.

Even better, the red shirt jacked up the scenario rules he told us pretty badly. We did split table deployment, and he forgot to mention that since I deployed first, he had to deploy 18" away. Also, he forgot to mention that there were escalation type rules.

First turn combat for 75% of my army, including punking the nightbringer.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2008, 17:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Thanks for the BR! Quite an interesting read. Still not certain what I think on the new LOS rules though.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2008, 17:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Having taken a glance at the final rules, the explosion rules are not an auto-wound. In fact they actually work out the same risk of taking a wound for T3 troops and less dangerous for T4 and up. The only things that are really affected more severely by the new explosion rules are grots, but did you really expect a grot to live long?
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2008, 12:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Having taken a glance at the final rules, the explosion rules are not an auto-wound. In fact they actually work out the same risk of taking a wound for T3 troops and less dangerous for T4 and up. The only things that are really affected more severely by the new explosion rules are grots, but did you really expect a grot to live long?
Yes we realized this yesterday. Oh well, can't be 100% correct all the time

It is a Str3 ap- wound roll per model.