Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

which army to play in 5th..............
Old 20 Jun 2008, 09:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default which army to play in 5th..............

Well, i got into a discussion at my GW yesterday about which army i will try to bring to GT this year for 40k.....

i dont think most of my current tournament armies are up to scratch any more so i am looking at either improving them, or starting a fresh army (though i am on a budget )

as a note, these are the army "types" i am considering:

Chaos Space Marines - infantry horde with obliterators/defilers as covering fire.
Daemonhunters - i cant think of a tournament worthy list with vehicles being HARDER to destroy and force weapons being nerfed :'(.
Dark Eldar - wych cult, mechanised
Eldar - wraithguard/lord (Iyanden) army or a mechanised dire avenger list (lots of avengers in wave serpents with bright lances, perhaps some vibro-cannons for emergeny vehicle damage, stopping them from shooting at least)
Imperial Guard - 3 russ variants, 3 hellhounds, everything else in chimeras (lacks anti-tank punch but provides a NAILS wall of armour)
Necrons - 9 heavy destroyers, 9 destroyers, 20 warriors and a lord is 1500pts, but then so is the nightbringer, 5 scarabs and 60 warriors >
Orks - shokk attack gun, warboss........ boyz
Space Marines - my current tournament army, blood angels used to rely on the death company to wip out any threats to my vehicels (2 baal preds, vindicator, 2 rhinos). i worry for their effectiveness against heavy infantry with the rending nerf. plus the army has 38 models (INCLUDING vehicles ). i would consider a deathwing or ravenwing army for 5th ed, they seem to take advantage of the rules quite a bit but are still elite armies.
Tau Empire i have a list with 8 skimmers, 3 of them hammerheads. but that has only 3 anti-tank guns (the hammerheads). could work but i dont like battlesuits (i get bored of using them) or kroot (HATE the models, and the lack of save) so i am relying on a horde of firewarriors, which could work in the new rules i suppose....
Tyranids - dont interest me too much at the moment, though the scuttling genestealer army is quite annoying to face in 5th ed...
Witch Hunters - would have to be radical..... 3 exorcists, stormtroopers, inducted guard (lascannons) and some inquisitors for firepower (plus the item that lets you choose your table edge is now well and truely undercosted ).

well that is my considerations so far - i really cant decide which army to go with. the only ones i cant (to an extent) put together right away are the orks, tau (sold off my last tau army) and the witch hunters, though i would like to start them again (i'm going round in circles again > )

so i ask of you.....

try and sell me your army (i am open to suggestions, i dont HAVE to field the armies i'm currentl thinking of )

PS - i diddnt make this a poll because i want it to be a regular discussion...
Old 20 Jun 2008, 10:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox
Default Re: which army to play in 5th..............

I'm thinking a Chaos infantry army, they all have grenades, close combat weapons and pistols and boltguns, all led by Huron himself, A nice charging army of chaos marines followed by Oblits sounds pretty dam mean to me ^_^ I can't imagine Huron using tanks :/

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2008, 10:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm thinking a Chaos infantry army, they all have grenades, close combat weapons and pistols and boltguns, all led by Huron himself, A nice charging army of chaos marines followed by Oblits sounds pretty dam mean to me ^_^ I can't imagine Huron using tanks :/
i posted the current idea for that list a while ago......

it was (i think) 3 obliterators, 60 marines (3 squads of 20 with mark of tzeench, lascannon, meltagun, powerfist) and a sorceror with something.....

has the lascannons to deal with tanks, the numbers to worry hordes and 3 hard as nails troops units to take objectives.

but, it would suffer against ordnance heavy armies, i would start loosing men VERY quickly..... plus any army that has manoeverability will run circles around it.

but it is a consideration.......
Old 20 Jun 2008, 10:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I was just thinking of as many small squads as posible, gets lots of cover saves, have some chosen too, three single oblits, some jump infantry.. just swarm them ;D

Old 20 Jun 2008, 11:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think CSM is gonna be nasty as well. Only troops can take objectives? Troops count as scoring to the last man? I have four fearless troop choices?

Uhhh... ok- Let's try that >

Although I favor a version of CSM similar to NidZilla...
In 2000 pts:
2 DP's
2 Defilers
1 Predator
1 Greater D
2 Rhinos

throw in Termies, Raptors, Zerkers, and a Noise squad...
-and no Lash!

Bring on 5th!!!

...oh - and TimJim's title is a big, savory, ball of awesomeness.
dave_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2008, 12:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

;D

I was just reading the rules on Dreadnoughts, and they're going to be the best vehicles now. Safe in assault, can run, can move and fire weapons, not effected by terrain like otehr vehicles.

So I'm thinking 2 dreads, Huron, a few squads of chaos marines, some oblits etc

Though I've heard from my source that the new Space marine codex is extremely nast. Extremely nasty.

Old 20 Jun 2008, 15:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Have you thought about using attack bikes with blood angels in 5th seems like a good idea to me. You could also take dreeads that are reliable with the blood angels albiet a little more expensive.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 16:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I wish I could prop up the Tau as a good tourny list, but the trial games I've seen and played aren't suggesting it.

Chaos Space Marines are my suggestion. I'd definitely do them if I wasn't so loyal to Tau (I'll stick through anything with them!).

I'd try to squeeze a few Thousand Suns or Plague Marines into the mix if possible. The amount of firepower they can soak up (although FNP took a small hit) is considerable.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2008, 22:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Im gonna build a 13th company Space Wolves list using the chaos codex.

Chaos Lords - 13th co. lords.
Sorcerer - Rune Priest.
Possessed - Wulfen
Chosen - Storm Claws
C.Space Marines + K.Berzerkers - Grey Slayers and Grey Slayer Baresarks.
Bikers - Bikers.
Havoks - Long Fangs.

Then i'm gonna build a Space Wolves army. can't wait!

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote