Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

too many marines?
Old 17 Jun 2008, 20:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default too many marines?

why are there so many marine players? i am not trying to flame anyone (or there army choice) but would like to know why so many people pick marines as there list. i am just as bad though, when i started i wanted a marine list... untell i read about the greater good :

so could people please tell me why they (or there friend, ect) play marines?

TY ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2008, 20:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: to many marines?

statistics say that marines would be the main opponent, or most likely opponent.

Chaos/blood angels/dark angels/templar/ultramarines/space wolves....etc..

in comparison to other armies.

The tactics are easy to grasp, hard to master, and works with new players, and old.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2008, 20:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

1.) They are often seen as the "good guys" (elite defenders of humanity and such)

2.) They excel at any battlefield role

3.) They get the most advertisement

4.) They get most of the new boxed sets, models, etc

5.) The game rules are based on their tactics

6.) They just look downright cool

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2008, 20:38   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

They have the largest model range by far and they are the most forgiving for newer players. They are also the only race that still has significant "sub-codexes". They tend to get more attention than any of the other races, and they always have priority when it comes to updates.

In the local community, we are usually split about 50/50 between xenos/guard and marines. The last tournament had 12 players. Two Dark Eldar, one Tyranid, one Tau, one Ork, and Two Imperial Guard armies. The remaining armies consisted of two Black Templar, one Space Wolves, my Dark Angels, and one vanilla marine list. Not too bad when you consider that individually no codex really dominated. But then we have a lot of older players.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2008, 21:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: too many marines?

Simple, they are good for beginners, while still being a good challenge for veterans due to how everyone tailors their lists to fight marines.

They are very tough compared to other armies, handy when your new to the game and the last thing you want to see is wholesale slaughter among your ranks.

Their learning curve is relatively gentle, as it's currently just as matter of giving a few upgrades and lashing bolters on the rest of the models, as opposed to say Tyranids, which has an incredibly vast amount of upgrades that is just too complicated for a beginner to decide on, due to lack of comprehensive rules knowledge and battlefield experience.

They're quick to start, as they've a low model count, as opposed to large horde armies like Orks/Nids/Guard where your models can measure in the hundreds easily enough. Not much time spent to paint models for a new player, eager to play his first game.

And lastly, they can do it all, want an all infiltrating army(Codex:Marines)?: got it,want a CC army?; got it(Blood Angels), want to go shooty?; got it, want to have masses of tanks?; got it, want to deep strike everyone?; got it.

http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk1
RonanB1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2008, 22:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

good points... and TY for explaining it to me... i just wanted to play marines because i thought it would be unique then found out everyone and there little brother has a marine army... so i got to looking at GW and found eldar and tau... :

Quote:
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Old 17 Jun 2008, 23:13   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Marines do typically get the most love out of all the armies, look at it this way:

Codex Marines
Dark Angels
Space Wolves
Blood Angels
Black Templars
Chaos Marines (basically marines with spikes, some different weaponry and a few extra bones tossed in)

Every starter set that has come out has Space Marines in the box. So someone looking to start the game is all but handed a hand full of marines to get them started.

Marines are not the best at any particular role, but they are pretty much 'good' at everything:
Good shooting
Good melee
Good vehicles
Good armor
Good stats

Fluff wise, Space Marines get tons of artwork, lots of articles since they are the 'iconic' army of 40k If you showed a gamer a picture of a space marine, even if they didn't know 40k much, they could probably tell you what they are. or at least what game they are from, show them a tau or dark eldar, and you would get a much different answer more than likely.

Marines are typically easier to paint than other armies. They are typically one or two colors, and they have a pretty set paint scheme across the entire army (except for Dark Angels)

Since there are 6 different armies that use roughly the same figures, just by that fact alone, you will have more players with those armies. More people playing means more people that eventually quit, so you can usually get good deals on their stuff when they leave as well.

All the above tends to make marines the most popular army, I should know, they were in fact my 2nd army.
Norsehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2008, 00:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Just a quick reminder to anyone who may be posting in this thread that army bashing is certainly not tolerated on the forum. No problems so far, but I'm just reminding you folks to keep it that way as this topic can often get a little out of hand.

This has been a public service announcement from your friendly neighbourhood admiral
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2008, 02:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Just a quick reminder to anyone who may be posting in this thread that army bashing is certainly not tolerated on the forum. No problems so far, but I'm just reminding you folks to keep it that way as this topic can often get a little out of hand.

This has been a public service announcement from your friendly neighbourhood admiral
i am trying to avoid that, just want to know why ppl picked the army they did, thinking about doing one of these for each army and putting it all together or something like that...

Quote:
Quote:
Old 18 Jun 2008, 03:34   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

I guess it helps to clarify. They aren't really "easier" to win with than any other army. But how they go about it is different. Some armies win by exploiting mistakes. Those armies are also easier to make mistakes with. If they get stranded in the open they evaporate. If they rely on heavy units they can get bogged down whenever they have to move. Because Space Marines are so versatile and durable, they have less to fear from mistakes. They have enough fast units to recover, and their good statline means that have a good chance of surviving a tight spot. They win by just playing solidly and relying on their strengths. They don't need as much of the tricky positioning as Eldar, Dark Eldar, and Tau.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote