Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

anyone hate/like shipping on the sprue?
Old 16 Jun 2008, 23:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default anyone hate/like shipping on the sprue?

big question for myself, since this might drastically reduce international shipping costs, and overall costs as well.

Does anyone mind sprues on route? instead of the box?
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2008, 23:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Shiki
Default Re: anyone hate/like shipping on the sprue?

I dont mind, if it cuts down my shipping costs. However the only problem I would have is not knowing how it is packed, an international Airbag comes with some packing in it plus if you wrap the goods in bubble wrap they should be fairly safe. Just becarful how you send it as alot of freight companies will just toss the goods inside of the transport and might end up getting snapped off the sprue or parts broken.
I always get the feeling that his craftworld was invaded while he was in the shower and he only had time to grab a bath robe and a sword
Shiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2008, 23:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I got that experience via from the UK royal mail.

A bubble wrap inlined envelope for a bloodletter box. Took a mike tyson hit to the sides, and front.

but no bubble wrap on the box.

The plastic was good however.

Ok, so packing up in 2 layers of protection, rather then 1. Doable.
Old 17 Jun 2008, 00:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

then that should be fine. only thing you may want to make sure on is if you are packing them in a box or airbag. as depending on the items on the spure with added wrapping around it it may end up having to be put in a larger box/bag, unsure of the UK costs but might be worth looking into. If you have to send 2-3 landraiders or tau tanks etc. if you offer a free postage service you may end up losing too much money on the costs you are absorbing due to several large packages. (I just noticed I am giving conflicting advice here)

But IMO if you offer shipping and a free shipping service over $xxx amount, include some of that cost on the goods themselves so that way you dont loose too much on this "free service"
I always get the feeling that his craftworld was invaded while he was in the shower and he only had time to grab a bath robe and a sword
Old 17 Jun 2008, 02:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

unfortunately free international shipping can be hard to pull off effectively, in main stream bids.

The only service in the US is via priority (average cost 27.00) or first class (16.00)

but for nearly double it comes in 6-10 days, rather then say 4-12 weeks.

Hence why I would need to look into space saving tips.
Old 17 Jun 2008, 02:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, its all going to go down to how you want run the shipping side of your buisness. I would suggest maybe free shipping to anywhere in the country if they order over a predecided amout, but for people overseas you might always have to include shipping costs to make sure you profit. Sitdown one night and run the numbers for several overseas countries, Australia, USA and UK are probably the major countries maybe also some asian countries depending on how big the hobby is over there. Work out what is going to save the customer the most so they will keep coming back but also make sure you keep a healthy profit margin.
Old 17 Jun 2008, 02:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

good to hear.

(currently stocking up on shipping supplies.)

I was a mooch and ordered about 250 boxes worth, plus enough international documents to service 500 people.

<I love that the USPS does this free ;D >

My registration is in my state, so I have 4-6 weeks from here to wait for my EIN number, then I can apply for reseller certificate, then I can apply for the wholesale distributers hehe.
Old 17 Jun 2008, 03:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Good to hear, well I hope it all works out for you.
Buying in bulk is a good way to go, however just take care you dont over extend yourself too early in the game. Just because you buy it cheaper if it sits for too long its just -ive earnings and will take too long to make the costs back on the goods.

However in saying that it does appear you have a very good grasp on what you are doing/planning. All the best when you are finally up and running.
Also any questions in regards to shipping and mark ups on shipping goods please feel free to PM me as it is a large part of job so I would be happy to help out if i can
Old 17 Jun 2008, 03:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

right now I dont have much of a budget for stock inventory. However I am trying to take a page of gorilla tactics, and doing it by demand.

The catch however, is that you need to find the fast distributer.

such for instance ALLIANCE. I would imagine Gorilla going with Games Workshop solely because of the wholesale pricing and access to special items. Its not bad, but I wonder how Games Workshop treats online competition.

Old 17 Jun 2008, 04:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

from what I hear, they are not to keen on it.
I would try to keep some lines for shelve stock, as much as I am happy to pay xx% off RRP I also want a decent delivery time. I would also advice againts advertising that kinda thing too much. If i know you are buying of GGU I know I am going to be paying for 2 lots of freight. and a slightly lower discount as you need to make profits aswel.
Also from what I hear GGU have poor comunication. I like to be able to know I can get the info I need when I need it. That can be a problem if you are acting as a go between guy.