Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Games Workshop: Health Hazard??
Old 01 Jun 2008, 04:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Games Workshop: Health Hazard??

Now, I was just thinking as I was doing a spot of painting tonight. As not only an avid fisherman but also hunter, I'm very keen to wash my hands thoroughly whenever handling bullets or lead lure rigs. However, I never gave Games Workshop's pewter models even a second thought.

Now, I'm very distressed that pewter, containing large amounts of lead, is indeed toxic.

However, due to the blatant lack of any sort of safety precaution on the packaging, I've quite sure that pewter, whilst containing lead, is not indeed toxic.
Can anyone shed some light onto the toxicity of Games Workshop's pewter models? I know already FW resin is indeed very harmful if breated in, and I'm sure GW's plastic is also harmful, though probably not as much.

Anyone know?
I know I sound like an old grandmother worrying about this, but it vexed me that I didn't know.

Stankov

EDIT: I've found nothing on the UK GW site legal pages concerning warnings about lead exposure.

I did a little more research and found this on the US Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry Case Studies in Environmental Medicine (CSEM): Lead Toxicity

Quote:
Commercial
Products
While lead is prohibited from many products in the U.S., imported or preregulation
products may still pose a risk. Consumer products are not
routinely tested for lead.
Lead is still used in commercial products such as
automotive batteries
bridge paint
computers
jewelry
pewter
some ceramic glazes
So despite some sources claiming commercial products no longer contain lead, this report says that imported material may very well contain lead without routine testing.

Thoughts?

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Ge. Stankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2008, 04:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler
Default Re: Games Workshop: Health Hazard??

I don't think GW metals are "real" pewter, but rather some kind of white metal that has very little (if any) lead in it. But I'm not sure.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2008, 04:55   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

Games Workshop's Pewter models do not contain Lead. It says it somewhere... maybe the older ones did, but the new pewter models do not.

Honestly, I know Lead poisoning is bad, but I've never been THAT paranoid about it... the amount that rubs off on your hands while handling things like bullets or fishing lures/sinkers (which I think are also in the process of phasing Lead out) isn't nearly enough to get you sick. You need to ingest a rather large amount of Lead to become ill.
Praying Mantidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2008, 05:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

If there is lead, you'll be fine as long as you don't eat the models. :P
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2008, 06:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

The older ones do, the newer ones(anything at all recent) don't contain any lead.

Plastic is, of course, pretty darn safe.

Resin is fine unless you start melting/filing it down. Fine particles of it are rather bad for your lungs...think of inhaling that as akin to asbestos. Very bad for you down the line. Thus, don't file it, cut it, and do so in a well ventilated area.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2008, 15:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yes, I do notice some of my ancient models seem to handle differently than the brand new ones. Maybe thats just me, but it could be GW phasing out lead.

Now, I know for a fact bullets aren't phasing out lead, they simply can't unfortunately, but you are correct All-Father, fishing lures are beginning to either coat the lead or look for different metals.

Legio: Unfortuantely, I'm not sure thats true. Lead is pretty potent, and it actually can be absorbed through the skin. But you're right, the amount you would absorb would probably amonut to three or four molecules, so I'm not that worried.

Tyndmyr: Plastic, unfortunately, isn't as safe as you might think. If you are one of the modelers who melts thier plastic for any reason (weld lines on tanks, cool effects on troops burning alive, etc.) the fumes released are very carcinogenic. (sp?) But as long as you don't melt them, you're right, they are perfectly safe.

You're also right about resin, I read on the FW sight a warning about filing down resin as the particulate is very harmful to your respiratory system.

Anyone know where we can find a breakdown of the alloy in GW's pewter?
Thanks for everyone's responses.
Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Ge. Stankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2008, 15:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

GW minis have been lead-free for so long that they don't even bother to put "lead-free" on the packaging anymore. I still remember a starburst on a pack or Orcs that said something along the lines of "now with lead-free pewter". I think they were orcs with crossbows (Not Ruglud's) if that gives you an idea of when this was.
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2008, 15:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

Yeah the older models contained lead, they sold off all the old models when they switched over to the White metal they use today, I know because my old friend got about 40 lead plague bearers for next to nothing..

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2008, 17:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Mmm, lead plague bearers...seems somehow fitting.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2008, 06:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

Yes, I remember the switch from lead to White Metal. Some of my somewhat antediluvian bad moon orks are lead.

You shouldnt go suck on those, I tell you!