Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Guardsmen with Power Armour n' Bolters?
Old 29 May 2008, 18:51   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Guardsmen with Power Armour n' Bolters?

I hope I'm not offending anyone with this or breaking any unwritten rules. I've got a bit to say here, and I think I might need a few opinions and a bit of advice.

I bought a Guard Battleforce and almost have it finished, but the concept of 'meatshielding' just doesn't sit right with me for some reason. I just don't like 'human wave' tactics. At the same time, I happen to love - and I mean, I really love - big, shooty, lumbering, powerful tanks like the Russ, Macharius and Baneblade, so I don't want to switch over to the Space Marines. I don't want to lose the tanks.

So what was I thinking? Guardsmen with Power Armour and Bolters. I figured I'd try to use Space Marine Bits with Guardsmen heads, and use Witch Hunters' rules for them. They wouldn't be as super-awesome-invincibly-cool-n'-wanktardedly-amazing as Space Marines, and they wouldn't be as numerous as guardsmen, but at least I wouldn't feel like I'm sending guys out without proper equipment. Plus, I could also buy some Battle Sister models and field them alongside my converted Guardsmen-In-Power-Armour, so I could have a mix of both male and female soldiers in my army, something I thought would be really cool. At first I figured I'd buy Kasrkins, but they don't look right standing next to the Witch Hunters, the armour doesn't look even remotely similar.

I'm going to see if I can find some Space Marine bits off Ebay to try to convert. I picked up one of those "Free Space Marines!" but unfortunately the head was cast into the body (it's one of the snap-together ones). Despite that, if I pick up a guard head and hold it over the Marine's Helmet it actually doesn't look half bad. The head looks small compared to the armour, but in a way I like that, it looks like the armour's really big and thick.

What do you guys think? Is this a go or no?
Old 29 May 2008, 19:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Guardsmen with Power Armour n' Bolters?

A) This wants to be on the Guard Boards...

B) No it's not alright by the fluff and would be a bastardization of the fluff and rules to do so.

If you don't like the idea of waves of inftray models build an Armoured Company. This allows you to take all the big tanks you like without a few units of mechanised infantry in APCs taking up the slack. Take the Carapiece doctrine with that and you get 4+ saves as well which will go someway to not making them vulnerable as they once were.

Like I say you don't need to switch at all.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2008, 22:43   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Very well. I'll assemble myself an Armoured Company instead. I like that idea. I just checked out the Armoured Company Army List on Games Workshop's website. Yeah mate, I like some of those vehicle doctrines.
Old 29 May 2008, 22:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Note that through doctrines such as marksmanship and carapace armor, you can certainly take other options in a guard army than swarmy...for example, The last chancers get to carry a dizzying array of weaponry, and are anything but numerous.

If you decide you still want marine bits, Ive got a post in the trading section with a bunch of em, and marines being as common as they are, I imagine others will do the same from time to time.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2008, 22:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Kasrkin squads could solve this problem...take grenadiers so you can take them as troop choices, then you can use the rest of your points for tanks and such. While they wont have bolters, they will be a bit more valuable than regular guardsmen.

Aose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2008, 23:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Take Grenadiers for your normal troops. Use Carapace for the other troops, so they all have the same armor. Power armor is not guardsmen material, but Carapace is.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2008, 23:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Head
Very well. I'll assemble myself an Armoured Company instead. I like that idea. I just checked out the Armoured Company Army List on Games Workshop's website. Yeah mate, I like some of those vehicle doctrines.
have you considered armored company, with sisters of battle? (changing them to, brothers of battle?) switch the heads, and you can call it good. Though you may have to "man" them up I suppose.

Never tried a head on a sister of battle however, might look wierd.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2008, 00:29   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsi
have you considered armored company, with sisters of battle? (changing them to, brothers of battle?) switch the heads, and you can call it good. Though you may have to "man" them up I suppose.
Yeah, I think that's a better way of putting it; "Brothers of Battle." I like it, thanks! I didn't want to start making up special rules, just using proxy models for what would be Sisters of Battle to represent my 'Metal Militiamen.'

I did want to take the Grenadiers doctrine but doesn't it says only 0-3 and that is all.
Old 30 May 2008, 01:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Well you can also take 3 more in your elite slots and 3 more using allied inquisitorial stormtroopers. Nets you a grand total of 90 Stormtroopers
Old 30 May 2008, 02:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You could just play the inquisition. :P

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote