Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Armour Saves
Closed Thread
Old 18 May 2008, 17:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to alilamyman Send a message via MSN to alilamyman Send a message via Yahoo to alilamyman
Default Armour Saves

How does games-workshop justify that armour saves are taken after you roll to wound. In the real world you have to check to see if the shot hits you, then to see if it penetrates your armour, then it has a chance to wound you. Has anyone else noticed this, or does anyone now how it is justified as i would like to know
Old 18 May 2008, 18:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Armour Saves

Switching the two might be more realistic....Is there any mathematical reason it shouldn't be like this?

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 18 May 2008, 19:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I just see it as, this shot would of wounded you but your armour saved you. But i does seem that the other way around seems more realistic...then again we're talking about Warhammer here. :P
Old 18 May 2008, 19:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to alilamyman Send a message via MSN to alilamyman Send a message via Yahoo to alilamyman

That is how i originally saw it but it just doesn't work like that. e.g. "Oh i appear to have been shot in the heart and it really hurt, but it magically healed because my armour was there" does not make any sense!
Old 18 May 2008, 21:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

It certainly makes more sense, but it seems somewhat simpler to have one player roll all his dice, then the other resolve his various saves, rather than switching off.
Old 19 May 2008, 05:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I always figured the whole roll to wound was considered as a 'what did you hit' roll. You can always fail on a roll of 1 so I thought that the shot hit but just enough to grazed off of something.

Every time you failed a to wound roll, you hit something that wasn't important (an antenna, a storage container, the weapon the guy is holding) or you hit some part of the guy he could afford to loose or could shake off (hands/feet off a necron, horns/spikes of a tyranid, you get the idea).

The higher the toughness, the more meat the guy can loose without it really effecting him. The wraith lord is one of the toughest things in the game and it's a giant walking machine driven by spirits in rocks, I figure it could loose a lot before it starts loosing stuff it needs.

The other way I see it is the stronger the weapon the easier it is to wound. Even if you only skim part of the guy with a missile launcher or a melta weapon, you still hit him and weapons of that caliber could kill most stuff just by getting close.
Old 19 May 2008, 05:41   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

I have to agree with Cruton, the idea for me is that it hit you, but did it hit you in the right area to DO anything at all?

And, if it did, did it penetrate the Armor or not?
Old 19 May 2008, 08:15   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Ever watch Saving Private Ryan? Guy gets shot in the head twice; once with a helmet on, once without. Let's do this the 40K way;

Both shots hit, as they struck his body. Both shots wounded; they both had sufficient force to kill him. The first one, however, was stopped by armour. The reason the save comes last is because the "Roll To Wound" does not mean the shot did wound, it means it has the potential to wound. Likewise, if you wanted to be picky, you would roll Cover Saves before a Roll To Hit, in order to reflect how many shots were absorbed by the Cover, thus leaving us with the shots that hit the enemy, or miss without striking cover.

Armour Saves being the last line is not an unreasonable system. Most Videogames work on that system (ie; the shot would have done damage if not "saved" by whatever means).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 19 May 2008, 08:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Just as i went to post wargamers said potential to wound. Thanks. lol
Old 19 May 2008, 08:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to major_rawne02

The 'to wound' roll isn't actually wounding per se, rather potential wounds. Anything that isn't halted by your armour is an actual wound. It's a simple enough concept to grasp.
Closed Thread